Cliff Raptor

Cleon

Legend
All true. I'm fine with the stubby wings, myself. A surprisingly lot of creatures in D&D worlds seem to have grown a third pair of limbs! OTOH, it's just one take that the AI shot out when I cut-and-pasted the description from the first post, without any changes. I could probably come up with something closer with a much shorter description. How's this: A velociraptor (with feathers) clinging to a cliff, ready to pounce:

Like those better. The one on the left is the best, with a nice dynamic pose that gives the cliff face a more impactful sense of perpendicularity.

1703873305713-png.342062

…no, "dynamic" is the wrong word. The Cliff Raptor's not in motion, It's a "ready to pounce" pose.

Anyhow, it'd make a perfectly acceptable illustration for the original 3E Cliff Raptor or the 5E Conversion by CaseyReeseKunst that launched this thread, neither of which have any description of the 'raptors arms. The "feathered half-wing arms" was something I added to the "Cleon Special" version.

Out of curiosity, what generator are you using to make these images? I'm almost tempted to have a go myself. Assuming it costs me nothing but time, since I'm a cheapskate!

The other picture has those wing-arms but I don't like the posture as much, since it's just a generic neutral stance.

Worse, it's hind foot is a MESS. Is that seven toes it has?

1703873433320-png.342064

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Like those better. The one on the left is the best, with a nice dynamic pose that gives the cliff face a more impactful sense of perpendicularity.

…no, "dynamic" is the wrong word. The Cliff Raptor's not in motion, It's a "ready to pounce" pose.

Anyhow, it'd make a perfectly acceptable illustration for the original 3E Cliff Raptor or the 5E Conversion by CaseyReeseKunst that launched this thread, neither of which have any description of the 'raptors arms. The "feathered half-wing arms" was something I added to the "Cleon Special" version.

Out of curiosity, what generator are you using to make these images? I'm almost tempted to have a go myself. Assuming it costs me nothing but time, since I'm a cheapskate!

The other picture has those wing-arms but I don't like the posture as much, since it's just a generic neutral stance.

Worse, it's hind foot is a MESS. Is that seven toes it has?

It's Bing's Image Generator (Dall-E3). There's a thread here with a bunch of us playing around with it.

I warn you, it's addictive.
LINK

I think that's supposed to be BOTH back feet, but they do look kinda blended together.... it still screws up some stuff, for sure.

Cleon

Legend
I meant image - otherwise dndbeyond complies with cleon version as is...?

Well I thought this image was OK apart from its lack of feathery arms.

Checked out the LINK to Bing's image creator provided by FizTheRuke yesterday but didn't fancy messing around with it at the time.

Had a go at it and after many, many attempts I got a few images I found acceptable.

Either of these would do OK as images of a Cliff Raptor.

I'd go for this image, as it has a predatory pose and is clinging to a cliff face:

Cliff Raptor 1.jpg

I think this second image is better aesthetically, but it's just way too relaxed to be a threatening monster illustration:

Cliff Raptor 2.jpg

I'd have liked one with a more exciting pose, but all the dynamic-looking ones have two tails, an excess of fingers or toes, bizarre feather-fingers or came out a bit odd.

Or very odd…

Cliff Raptor Wonky 3.jpg

Remove ads