• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Climbing on to monsters

mypetrock

First Post
My party has become quite adept at converting a Pair of Slippers of Spider Climbing to a pair of Slippers of Any Monster Climbing. Almost without fail one of the members of the party will climb up on the (huge, colossal, gargantuan) monster's back and whale away on it. Common sense would indicate that it would be difficult for a monster to use its attacks to adequately attack a character on its back - like trying to scratch that spot in the middle of your back.

Is there anything in the rules that would preclude the monster from taking its attacks on the rider or does common sense apply?

mypetrock

Enkhidu

Explorer
We've always ruled that if you occupy the same space as another creature, you are either grappled or one of the creatures is prone. So, in that case, we'd simply allow a grapple check without the larger creature provoking an AOO.

Have fun!

dshai527

First Post
This sounds like a fun and creative combat tactic. However, as a Dm you may be faced with several tough rules decisions.

1) Since their is no facing in 3e you have to decide how the PC's got onto the creatures back. You could rule that they have to succeed at a grapple check with negatives to maneuver to the creatures back. I would give the creature an AOO and if it hits I would say that the grapple fails.

2) Once on the creatures back, I would say that the creature could still attack the PC but maybe not directly. The scene from Princess Bride come to mind when Weasly fights the Giant and the Giant Runs him into rocks and such. Imagine the creature rolling over onto his back to crush the insect on his back. (A reflex save to get off to avoid damage)

3) What if the creature has multiple limbs (Tails, Wings) could they reach the character.

4) I would also make the character have to make a ride check to attack and even then it would have negatives as the creature is most likely bucking and moving to dislodge the problem. The slippers would keep him from being thrown but does not guarantee an attack.

Its sounds like a lot of fun and I would encourage the PC's to keep coming up with cool ideas but I think it would be harder than they first thought it might be.

Last edited:

Remove ads