• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clockwork Template

Grimgrin

First Post
Clockwork Template
The clockwork creature is a mechanical facsimile designed to act as a organic creature would. Many of these constructs are created to display the skill of the maker. Some are created as loyal servants to perform tasks that risk disease, poisoning, or suffocation. The remainder are created specifically for combat; whether as robot gladiators or mechanical cannon fodder.
PREREQUISITES: Any living creature
Elite: The creature becomes elite with an elite XP value
Resist 5 against fire, acid, cold, and necrotic damage.
Immune to Disease, Poison, and Fear based attacks and effects
Action Points +1
Saving Throws +2
Hit Points 10 per level + Constitution score
Autoclave Repair Systems (minor; encounter) Healing
The clockwork creature spends a healing surge it restores 3 Hit Points per creature level to self and all mechanical allies within 10 squares.
Mechanical Advantage
A clockwork creature’s limbs conceal a mechanized weapon. A retractable weapon scaled to its size is built into the device as a spring loaded surprise. This trait automatically grants proficiency with the weapon as well, and can be any melee, thrown, or ranged weapon. In addition, the clockwork creature gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls with the hidden weapon and gain “combat advantage” on the first attack this weapon is used in an encounter.
Level 11: +4 bonus to damage rolls.
Level 21: +6 bonus to damage rolls
Death-Clock (when reduced to 0 HP)
The clockwork creature is reduced to 0 HP is explodes in a plume of dust and toxic gas. Close burst1: Vs. Reflex: 5 + level, Damage: 2d6 poison.
Level 11: Close burst2: Vs. Reflex: 5 + level, Damage: 3d6.
Level 21: Close burst3: Vs. Reflex: 5 + level, Damage: 4d6.
Skills Clockwork creatures gain training in Dungeoneering.

EXAMPLE:
Clockwork Dark Stalker
Level 10 Elite Lurker XP: 1000
Alignment Unaligned Small humanoid Initiative +14
Senses Perception +7; darkvision
HP 95; Bloodied 48; see also killing dark
AC 24 (see also dark step); Fortitude 13, Reflex 26. Will 25 Speed 6
Resist 5 against fire, acid, cold, and necrotic damage.
Immune to Disease, Poison, and Fear based attacks and effects
Scimitar (standard; at-will) Martial Weapon +15 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage
Hand Crossbow (standard; at-will) • Weapon Ranged 5/10; +15 vs. AC; 1d4 + 7 damage. Mechanical Advantage: Gain combat advantage with first attack with hand crossbow.
Dark Fog (standard; sustain minor; encounter) • Zone Area burst 4 within 10; creates a zone of darkness that blocks line of sight (creatures with darkvision ignore this effect).
Killing Dark + Death-Clock (when reduced to 0 hit points) Close burst 1; targets enemies: +15 vs. Reflex; Hit: 2d6 poison plus each target is blinded (save ends); Miss: each target is blinded (save ends). When slain. a clockwork dark stalker explodes in a spout of darkness in a burst of toxic fumes.
Combat Advantage The dark stalker deals an extra 2d6 damage on melee and ranged attacks against any target it has combat advantage against.
Dark Step (move; at·will)
The dark stalker moves up to 4 squares. gains a +4 bonus to AC against opportunity attacks, and gains combat advantage against any target that it ends its move adjacent to.
Invisibility (minor; recharge [3 to 6]) Illusion
The dark stalker becomes invisible until the end of its next turn.
Autoclave Repair Systems (minor; encounter) Healing
The clockwork creature spends a healing surge it restores 30 hit points to self and all mechanical allies within 10 squares.
Action Points: 1
Languages Common Skills Stealth +15, Thievery +15, Dungeoneering +12. Str 12 (+6) Dex 21 (+10) Wls 14 (+7) Con 15(+7) Int14(+7) Cha 19 (+9)
Equipment: black garments, scimitar

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
Frankly I am a bit confused how an approximation or clockwork likeness of a creature gains that creatures racial abilities. In the example your facsimilie of the darkstalker is so perfect a reproduction that it also has its invisibility and teleport powers. I know this is for balance/template reasons and can be hand waved with the old "its magic" fall back, but it just seems strange to me.

Anyway putting that aside everything looks OK apart from the Auto Repair Systems power which seems a little useless. Healing 5 HPs (or 15 HPs at level 21) will be absolutely pointless as an encounter power, even as a minor action. Personally I would change this to a self heal and have it somewhere in the region of 25/50/75 HPs.

Grimgrin

First Post
Frankly I am a bit confused how an approximation or clockwork likeness of a creature gains that creatures racial abilities. In the example your facsimilie of the darkstalker is so perfect a reproduction that it also has its invisibility and teleport powers. I know this is for balance/template reasons and can be hand waved with the old "its magic" fall back, but it just seems strange to me.

If it needs a backstory, the clockwork stalker is a mechanical construct with a shadow element trapped within it; an extra-planar crystal infused with dark energy that grants the automaton supernatural powers. It shatters when the construct is destroyed releasing a wave of darkness and toxic fumes.

Anyway putting that aside everything looks OK apart from the Auto Repair Systems power which seems a little useless. Healing 5 HPs (or 15 HPs at level 21) will be absolutely pointless as an encounter power, even as a minor action. Personally I would change this to a self heal and have it somewhere in the region of 25/50/75 HPs.

What if I changed Auto Repair to 5 x Creature Level hit points restored?

While I'm thinging about it, I'll change Auto to Autoclave, since "auto" can mean "self" (or "car") and autoclave sounds more steampunk.

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
What if I changed Auto Repair to 5 x Creature Level hit points restored?

While I'm thinging about it, I'll change Auto to Autoclave, since "auto" can mean "self" (or "car") and autoclave sounds more steampunk.

Its a tricky one to balance as it is a power that is better or worse depending on the number of clockwork allies the creature has working with it. The power as written also doesn't heal the creature itself so it is not unfeasible that the power could be completely useless in a given encounter.

"5x creature level" would on average mean just over a 50% heal. I would consider making it "3x creature level" so as to give a just over 25% heal but also make the power heal the creature with the template as well so that it would always be a viable option.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads