• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Clockwork Toy: how realistic is its sound?

Merudo

Explorer
The Rock Gnome's Clockwork Toy device is said to "makes noises as appropriate to the creature it represents."

How realistic are those noises? Could the noise fool others into believing the toy is an actual creature?

Personally I would rule that to fool a creature the Rock Gnome must succeed an Intelligence(Tinker’s tools) check opposed by a Wisdom(Perception) check from other creature. Does that sound reasonable?

Laurefindel

Legend
I don't think there is an official answer, but I would say as realistic as those pull-the-string toys we had in the 70s and 80s. That is, close enough to be recognizable as such, but not enough to fool anyone.

Your solution is as good as any other. If it can bring an otherwise ribbon feature into something somewhat useful, I'd say go for it!

Satyrn

First Post
I'd probably rule it akin to a duck whistle, the closest thing I can think of am item that makes animal sounds So, realistic enough.

Or if I didn't want it to be as easy to fool someone, I'd rule it like a See and Say - it totally sounds like the animal, but it's also totally clear it's an artificial reproduction. I also think this is the better ruling instead of my first duck whistle thought

Satyrn

First Post
Also, my tablet wants to write anything but duck. I almost seriously broke the forum's profanity prohibition several times in several different ways. :uhoh:

Oofta

Legend
I'd base it on real world wind-up toys. Have you ever seen the wind up dog that barks? You can tell it's supposed to be a dog, it kind of sounds like one, but if you can hear it clearly it's not going to fool anyone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads