• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cloistered cleric dip with low wis?

vageta31

First Post
Hey guys,

Was pondering a cloistered cleric dip in my planned rogue/swordsage build but problem is my low wis. I chose it as my dump stat for various reasons(before cleric/ss dip ideas), and was going to either take kung fu genius or the FR version(curmudgeon something) to make up for my low wis. Since the wis bonus on SS won't stack with wis bonus on monks it seems they are considered the same, therefore it isn't much of a stretch to house rule it in.

Long story short is our party is new, close to level 2. We have 5 but only one healer, the cleric, who is going to be out for a few weeks due to new baby. We all want to continue playing but no healer... I had considered taking cloistered cleric dip for the domain power already, but this made me even consider it more as I could get some minor healing abilities. As I said though my wis is low (7!) so I couldn't even cast any spells (does that include 0?). I was going to try to talk DM into letting me rearrange some stuff since we just started, but he wants me to keep my guy the same and said if I wanted to play rogue/cleric, then do so.

I'd be a horrible cleric with that wisdom... but my DM said there are ways to boost it including items, bonus wis points for making wise decisions in game, etc... I believe he likes to give out bonuses to players who roleplay their guys well, and I was even given a free feat at level one(combat reflexes) based on my backstory alone. I have a feeling if I do this even with the big flaw of low wis, he will attempt to help my guy if I act accordingly. IE; I take it knowing it's a bad idea, but can reward me for the adversity anyways.

I could still take it knowing I can't cast but still get domain/devotion benefits(what I really want), and if he helps me out down the road I may be able to cast at some point. If not I still get the benefits. Long term if he does help my guy out it would help out my SS levels as well with the wis boost.

I rolled really good except for 2 stats, basically it works out to a 35 point buy but I didn't get to +/- any of them. THey are;

str 14
dex 17
con 15
int 15
wis 7 (ouch!)
cha 9

Wanted to dump str and up WIS, then put a point into STR at level 4 to at least make it 10. However if he decides to help my guy out(I suspect he might) it could really help me later on without having to mess with my other stats.

Boils down to this... Is the CC dip a complete waste for lack of spells, or still worth it due to the domain powers/devotion feats with the chance that it could lead to a bit of casting down the road and possible wis benefit to SS that I wouldn't have normally had? With my high INT I will roll higher on knowledge checks which can offset the loss of BAB...

Sounds good on paper but not sure how it'll work out. Oh and I'm going to try and retrain my point blank shot from level one and see if I can add able learner instead to help out skill points on the multiclass. Or take a flaw and grandfather it in(if I can figure out a good flaw that doesn't kill me hehe).

Thoughts?

SuperJebba

First Post
I don't know anything about the character build, but I do know one thing. You need to tell your buddy that it is in no way necessary for him to take a few weeks off because of a new baby. I have two kids with another on the way. New babies are so easy to take care of. He will go mad sitting around at home waiting for baby to wake up and eat and then go back to sleep. Trust me.

vageta31

First Post
Well I have 2 myself, and I don't think it's "his" idea if you get my drift. He's a first time dad and I think mom will want him around. After all we DO play at his house and that means new baby is there. Who knows maybe he won't take all the time off, but only time will tell. I selfishly hope it's after our next session so we can finish out the dungeon! :p

vageta31

First Post
Hah, well it was a natural roll. Rolled a 7 then a 9. Then came all the high ones. If only I wasn't trying to play MAD classes I'd be fine. I dumped wis thinking straight rogue and martial classes so wis was pointless. Then I did too much research and found swordsage and cloistlered cleric... So now I pay the price, but I'm still thinking it's a good deal if only for one level. And if I can get my wis up to 11+ later it may just come in handy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads