• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

close blast

sammy

First Post
x
x
x (P)
x
x

Is this legal for a close blast 5? This is just the side where the player is, I know it goes out 5 squares also. P is the player. Could someone explain how a close blast works? I think I've been doing it wrong.

Sammy

Last edited:

Maximilia

First Post
A close blast originates in a square adjacent to the caster, their choice. With 'x' indicating the origin square it would look like so:

xxx
xPx
xxx

Each 'x' is where the blast can originate from. There are some marvelous examples in the PHB of how this works, but some quick diagrams for a 5 close blast would be thus:

xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxxP
xxxxx
xxxxx

P
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx

And so on. Note that a player CAN have it originate in a square diagonal to them, as it is still an adjacent square.

x
x
x (P)
x
x

Is this legal for a close blast 5? P is the player. Could someone explain how a close blast works? I think I've been doing it wrong.

Sammy

A close blast x is x times x squares big, e.g. a close blast 3 is 3 times 3 squares big and looks like this:
XXX
XXX
XXX

If P is the "caster" of the close blast you can place the starting square of close blast in any square that shares at least one adjacent square with P.
yyy
yPy
yyy

The example uses a close blast 3 again.
Code:
 XXX
 XXX
yXXX
yPy
yyy

yyy
XXXPy
XXXyy
XXX

XXX
XXX
XXXyy
  yPy
  yyy
There are by far more possibilities.

Last edited:

sdt

First Post
Just makeup a 5x5 square; one side of any square in the blast area must be adjacent to the source of the blast (P), also, you cannot include the source in the area. In your example the (P) can be adjacent to any of the X's.

Aulirophile

First Post
Get a 5"x5" square of paper. Draw some lines on it so you can tell where the squares are. Put a token on a battlemat.

Now, put the piece of paper adjacent to the token such that it always completely occupies one square adjacent to the token.

That is how close blasts work.

Xeterog

Explorer
A close blast originates in a square adjacent to the caster, their choice. With 'x' indicating the origin square it would look like so:

Technically, the origin square is a square in your space. the X by X area has to be adjacent to the origin square (but doesn't include it).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads