• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Close, but no cigar....

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
eris404 said:
"Closing the gap" is an interesting idea. It reminds me of something that we used in 2E, that past a certain level the automatic failure for saves and attack rolls increased from a natural 1 to a natural 1 or 2 (or even 1-3) on a d20 roll. Is that logical? I mean, does it seem weird that a higher level character with greater skill suddenly have a greater automatic failure range?

Hey, lookie here!

Actually, I remember that rule from the 2e days - I think it was part of the Players Option (a misinterpretation on our DM's part) - that when combined with the fumble system, ended up making our fighters more dangerous to themselves than our supposed enemies were. So no, not logical, IMO. 5% failure is still plenty (as has been recently born out just this past weekend...)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
eris404 said:
Really? I mean, that's what that rule was supposed to do? Damn, that's weird.

I think it went like this - and my memory may be faulty, as I pretty much tried to lock my recollections of Player's Option rules in the same dark recesses of my mind along with my memories of owning "Bread" albums and liking the A-Team.

Crits in PO were similar to 3E, roll 18-20 and then confirm. I'm not sure if there were fumbles or not, but our DM at the time (who we both know plays a little fast and loose with the rules, despite his otherwise excellent DM'ing skills) extrapolated that so that Fumbles were likewise a 15 % chance, and I think he didn't have us confirm either crits or fumbles.

We were pretty tough, and our fighters especially so. So any time we rolled a 3, we'd fumble, and do damage to ourselves. It ended up with us being more dangerous to ourselves than anyone we ever fought.

Luckily I played a wizard.

:)

Remove ads