• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CLOSED: Final uploaded. Thank you editors.

TheLordWinter

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
Well, the problem I have with it is the fact that it uses the same mechanic as a basic attack to attack Will (IE you get your proficiency bonus and all that) So in making a Half-Elf ranger (who gets an at-will from another class, With an 18 dex and a 16 int. he has his choice of:

+10 vs AC for 1D10 Damage
+6 vs AC for 1D10+4 and can shift before or after
or
+6 vs Will for 1D10+3 and gives an ally +3 to Attack the same target

It's really no contest. Diestracting strike is FAR more powerful, especially taking into account that the vast majority of monster's will is significantly less than their AC.

Can't say off hand how I'd solve it.

Fitz

But the Half-Elf can only use that latter power as an Encounter ability, and in addition it's a +2 bonus which doesn't stack with bonuses provided by other classes (namely the Cleric). Plus some monsters will invariably have a Will almost equal to their other Defenses or in fact higher - the Players also won't have a clue what the monster's Defenses are until attacking them, so I think it's alright. Hmmm... how about this then?

Distracting Attack
Warlord Attack 1
"You attack your foes carefully and precisely, stealing away the enemy's attention to leave them vulnerable for your ally's attack."
At-will ♦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Melee or Ranged vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage and Follow Up:
Follow Up: Charisma vs. Will. Hit: One ally within 5 squares gains a +2 power bonus when targeting your foe.

Verys Arkon

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
I was just using it to make a half-elf ranger and two things occurred to me:

1: Are you "sure" that Prime Shot is not a Half-Elf power? Looking at it on Tira (The half-elf warlock pregen), it doesn't strike me as a Warlock power. Makes me think Half-Elf.

2: You've got Half-Elf listed with a bonus language, because Tira has three. But Skamos (the Tiefling Wizard) ALSO has three languages. We can assume he got the extra one from his 20 Int. Perhaps the bonus language occurs at a 15 int, which is what Tira has.

Also, curiously, Skamos only has 3 trained skills other than stealth (which he paid a feat for) Unless I'm missing something, this implies that either the wizard gets three, or he paid the feet to take a cross-class skill. I'd bet the first one.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. If all this was discussed elsewhere, I apologize.

Fitz

Thats an interesting observation Fitz...I had been working with the idea that a language took a skill training 'point' to learn (or a feat spent later to gain a skill training point) and that's why the wizard has 4, but it would make sense if it was Intelligence based.

I will remove the half-elf's bonus language and reduce the wizard's Skill Training by 1.

FitzTheRuke said:
Here's another one though: Why does Riadon have two feats? I don't see bonus feat under either Eladrin or Ranger in the PrRC, and clearly it's got to be one or the other.

I've added a bonus feat to the Ranger class (likely from a limited list). bganon also spotted this.
FitzTheRuke said:
To the best of my knowledge a 20 on a dying save allows you to activate your Second Wind (if, and only if, it is available) otherwise you simply stop rolling saves.
The 'death saving throw' entry has been revised as well.

AlphaAnt

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
Indeed - very cool. I've added it for v2.0 (final).

Will I be able to keep up with the flood of info now? :lol:

Maybe weekly updates on Fridays. Mondays will just be excerpts from the MM, the Wednesday PHB and Friday DMG updates are probably the most relevant.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Xorn said:
Critical Hits
I'm listening to the podcasts at work (and on EnWorld--I'll do some work eventually) and just heard this about critical hits:

You maximize all dice that you would roll if it was just a normal hit. This indicates that the warlock's curse and the hunter's quarry are maximized on a critical. Mike or Dave (can't tell their voices apart all the time) specifically stated, "You still roll damage dice that are granted because you critted (like some weapons/magic items), but everything else is maximized.

Enjoy! It's one of the mailbag podcasts, but I'm listening on my iPod Switch, so I can't see the exact episode.

I've added some text to clarify which dice are maximized and which ones are not. Thanks.

lightblade

Explorer
The Tiers article confirms that HP Method "A" is the correct method. It also confirms that the Warlord has the same HP progression as the cleric and strikers.

Mokona

First Post
Wizards.com said:
5. Select Feats. You generally don’t have to worry about the level at which you gained a particular feat, since retraining allows you to have the feats you want at any given level. Do watch out for paragon and epic feats, though. For example, a 14th-level character can’t have more than seven paragon feats (those gained at 11th, 12th, and 14th level, as well as up to four retrained feats).

It appears that you get to retrain a feat every level. So you could retrain a herioc tier feat to a paragon tier feat at levels 11, 12, 13, and 14. That would give the four mentioned above.

Furthermore, either they have a really screwy feat progression table (11 - feat, 12 - feat, 13 - something else, 14 - feat) or each tier is treated like level 1-10. For example:

You get a feat every even level (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, etc) plus an extra feat at the first level of each tier (1st level feat for heroic tier, 11th level feat for paragon tier, and 21st level feat for epic tier).

Remove ads