• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cloud of Darkness

Nullzone

Explorer
Here's how I read Cloud of Darkness:

An effect that is not strictly a lack of light, but rather a miasma that cannot be penetrated by any means; a creature within it is blocked from line of sight. Further, you are only immune to the effects of your own CoD; if there are multiple Drow present, if you didn't fire it, you are subject to the same negative effects. Blindsight/Tremorsense both work normally, for obvious reasons. Also, it is NOT a conjuration and cannot be affected by Dispel Magic.

Does this appear correct to most people? I get conflicts from every which way about this, and I try not to cause trouble at tables so I tend to bow to every which ruling I hear on it, so I'd like to get a solid answer so I can stick to my guns in the future, both as a player and a DM (especially since I have games coming up this weekend where the multiple Drow rule is going to come into heavy effect).

Aulirophile

First Post
Effect: The burst creates a cloud of darkness that remains in place until the end of your next turn. The cloud blocks line of sight, squares within it are totally obscured, and creatures entirely within it are blinded until they exit. You are immune to these effects.

Just for reference. You are correct by RAW. The powers last line proves the multiple Drow argument false. "You are Immune" isn't plural to all Drow. Also developing a racial ability not useful in fighting your own species when species fight amongst themselves would be... less then useful.

If you want to prove the rest you're going to need the relevant rules sections for Blindsight, Tremorsense, etc., which specially mention that they ignore things that normally block LoS.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads