• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cloudkill... Really?

Keenath

Explorer
I recently started planning some just-sub-epic stuff, and ... well, tell me if I'm totally off base here.

Cloudkill is absolutely underwhelming. It duplicates Stinking Cloud to a ridiculous degree, and doesn't do anything that makes me want to take it compared to other spells of its level, nor does it even do anything that seems particularly cloudkill-ish.

Presented for your consideration.

Stinking Cloud is a 5th level daily; Cloudkill is a 19th level daily. Just keep that in mind as we proceed; Cloudkill's stats and abilities simply don't justify being that high in level.

Both spells attack with Int vs Fort, take a standard action to cast, and sustain minor. A wash.

Cloudkill is a burst 5 zone, while SC is a burst 2 zone. SC therefore covers a 5x5 area while CK encompasses an area of 11x11 squares, or 121 individual squares.

This is arguably a strike against to Cloudkill. Realize that the spell has a range of 20, so the center square must be within that 20 square range. If you can manage to drop this thing at extreme range, you'll fill literally half the space between you and your target square. If you can't manage that distance, you'll have even less space to maneuver. In all but the most spacious dungeon environments, you won't be able to use this spell without filling the entire battlefield with poison gas. And yes, it hits you and your allies just as hard as your enemies.

To make matters worse, Cloudkill can move only 3 squares at a time, slower than even a heavily armored halfling (the slowest PC), and only slightly faster than a Slowed character. Stinking Cloud's smaller area can slide around the battlefield at speed 6, which makes it as fast as an unarmored human and allows the caster to put that 5x5 zone virtually anywhere he wants to on a turn-by-turn basis. (Read: Hurting enemies while avoiding allies.) To my mind this makes a better Controller spell anyway, because it encourages your party to take the spell's movement into account and position themselves appropriately.

But the real insult is that both SC and CK deal exactly the same damage. 1d10+Int on a hit on initial casting, and the same again to any creature that enters or starts its turn inside the cloud (no attack). This is the worst offense, to me. A level 19 spell that deals the same damage as a level 5 spell? Absurd!

Comparing the damage to other spells of the same level:
Fireball is the standard "deal lots of damage" spell at 5th level. It drops 3d6+Int, compared to Stinking Cloud's 1d10+Int. Roughly double the damage, there; or approximately one and a half dice less, if you prefer.

Acid Wave is a good area-damage spell at 19th level. It deals 5d6+Int and ongoing acid damage in a 5x5 area. This is compared to the same 1d10+Int with a bigger area of effect. Sorry, no sale. Two dice ought to be a minimum of damage here, and I personally think three would be appropriate! Even as free every-turn damage, this spell can't be expected to deal more than 15 damage per hit, and that's just sad when you're one level from going Epic. Black Tentacles is more worthwhile; at least it immobilizes creatures in addition to dealing so-so damage.

And that brings me to my next point. I think this is just an oversight, but Stinking Cloud blocks line of sight, while Cloudkill does not. This being 4th edition, spells don't do anything unless they say they do, and CK doesn't make any mention of concealment or blocking vision, so it doesn't.

My final point, I suppose, is more general and vague. Cloudkill doesn't mechanically support what I expect to see based on the spell's name. I'm trying not to be biased by what I remember it doing in 3rd edition, but even so... Most wizard powers are pretty sensible. A fireball makes a ball of fire (yes, or a cube, shut up...); Black Tentacles summons a bunch of tentacles (which we can presume to be black) that do something that's mechanically in line with how tentacles ought to act; for the most part, a spell does exactly what it says on the tin (so to speak).

But cloudkill is odd. Even if we assume it makes a cloud and failing to mention vision-blocking was an accident, it doesn't really fulfill the kill part either. Its relatively minor damage isn't particularly lethal; it doesn't have any special effect that would make it seem more like filling the area with a horrific toxin; it really does nothing more than sweep minions over a wide area. Nothing about Cloudkill really justifies that name -- especially when the very same effect got classified as merely "stinky" fourteen levels ago.

This is a power that screams for a rewrite.

Last edited:

MrMyth

First Post
Cloudkill is actually a very high-damage spell, largely due to dealing sizable automatic damage every round, in addition to the damage it deals when cast.

The ability to follow enemies around with the cloud and knock them back into the zone is quite strong. The big limiting factor is not hurting allies with it - but the right spells can help with that, since you know in advance that you'll be using it.

Quick analysis of damage:

Cloudkill: 1d10+Int. At level 19, you are looking at probably at least +5 damage from Int and +4 from an implement, so ~14.5 damage on average. Assuming a 50% chance to hit, that is ~7.25 damage when cast, plus the automatic 14.5 from the round they start in it, for around ~22 damage with the potential for significantly more.

Fireball: 3d6+Int, so ~19.5 damage... if it hits. With a 50% chance of hitting, and half damage on a miss, this comes out to ~15 damage on average, to a smaller group of enemies.

Acid Wave: 5d6+Int plus ongoing acid. So around ~27.5 plus ongoing damage. So, half the time we hit for 27.5 plus 10 ongoing (which averages ~18 total damage), and half the time we miss for 13.25 plus 5 ongoing (which averages ~9 total damage.) Out total average damage is 35 extra damage, which puts this at the highest damage - though, if you can milk even a single extra round out of Cloudkill, it regains the lead.

I'm really not seeing any problem with Cloudkill. I think you are severely underestimated how assume the size of that burst is, along with the ability to have an automatic damage movable terrain feature!

Now, I'd probably take Evard's first anyway, since I even more prefer damaging terrain features that actively prevent enemies from escaping them... but Cloudkill still is a solid spell for a variety of reasons.

Ximenes088

First Post
I'd say that Cloudkill's fine. If a wizard wins init, he's just automatically erased every
minion in an 11x11 square. The damage is also low enough that 19th level PCs can reasonably have gear that soaks all or most of it, letting them fight in the middle of the zone. Big blasts have their downsides, but they're normally a large advantage.

Cadfan

First Post
I think the reason that Cloudkill doesn't block line of sight is because, from a tactical perspective, its so darn big that you're going to have a round or two to make ranged attacks while your enemies try to get out of it (because you're going to hit them with things that knock them prone or slow them, and then your fighter types are going to push them back into the cloud).

I think its worthwhile just for the size. Yes, sometimes that size works against it, but its a daily so who cares. Just use a different spell when the size is a negative. That's Cadfan's Unified Theory of Daily Powers right there. "It doesn't matter if a Daily is situational because you can just wait for the right situation."

I probably wouldn't take Cloudkill, but I can see why someone might.

As for Fireball, just to defend its honor for a moment, the fact that Fireball is a "fire and forget" spell is at times an advantage. :) You throw down the Fireball, get your damage, and move on to other types of attacks. You don't clog up the battlefield when your melee types want to use it, you don't use up your minor actions, you just blow stuff up and move on with your life.

In that context and given its damage and radius, it really isn't a bad spell. I would never take multiple Fireball-like daily powers, but one makes me happy.

Keenath

Explorer
The ability to follow enemies around with the cloud and knock them back into the zone is quite strong. The big limiting factor is not hurting allies with it - but the right spells can help with that, since you know in advance that you'll be using it.
Maybe; I don't see a whole bunch of "immunity to poison" effects wandering around the PHB.

I dont' know about that "follow enemies around with it" thing. As I said, it goes only 3 per turn, if you give up your move, and even then maneuvering such a huge zone is probably not going to do any good.

Quick analysis of damage:

Cloudkill: 1d10+Int. At level 19, you are looking at probably at least +5 damage from Int and +4 from an implement, so ~14.5 damage on average. Assuming a 50% chance to hit, that is ~7.25 damage when cast, plus the automatic 14.5 from the round they start in it, for around ~22 damage with the potential for significantly more.
Okay, I admit I didn't realize a zone got to apply your implement bonus every round. I'll buy that. I don't accept that 7.25 value, though; you either deal ~29 damage or 14 damage, depending on your attack roll.

Fireball: 3d6+Int, so ~19.5 damage... if it hits. With a 50% chance of hitting, and half damage on a miss, this comes out to ~15 damage on average, to a smaller group of enemies.
Given... but fireball should be comparable to Stinking Cloud -- not Cloudkill!

Acid Wave: 5d6+Int plus ongoing acid. So around ~27.5 plus ongoing damage. So, half the time we hit for 27.5 plus 10 ongoing (which averages ~18 total damage), and half the time we miss for 13.25 plus 5 ongoing (which averages ~9 total damage.) Out total average damage is 35 extra damage, which puts this at the highest damage - though, if you can milk even a single extra round out of Cloudkill, it regains the lead.
Well, 35 is kind of a bogus number there. It's either 45 damage or 21 damage, depending on the attack roll.

Still I see what you're saying, comparing the maximum and minimum damage totals. Yes, the cloud effects are good if you can maintain coverage. But see my next point.

I'm really not seeing any problem with Cloudkill. I think you are severely underestimated how assume the size of that burst is, along with the ability to have an automatic damage movable terrain feature!
I'm not underestimating the burst size; what I'm saying is that Stinking Cloud is (A) easier to fit into the average battle without poisoning allies; (B) nearly as good at sticking to your enemies, via moving faster; and (C) deals exactly the same damage.

Cloudkill still is a solid spell for a variety of reasons.
But it's not significantly better than keeping old Stinky. Maybe it's true that Stinking Cloud scales very nicely with level -- a 19th level spell ought to be better than a 5th level spell cast by a 19th level wizard!

Cadfan

First Post
Maybe; I don't see a whole bunch of "immunity to poison" effects wandering around the PHB.
Right now, almost everyone has poison immunities at low levels, because the amulets available mostly include the Amulet of Health, which gives you poison resistance. This has more to do with a scarcity of other options than it does with anything else. But, amongst my group of PCs, 3 out of 5 resist poison through their gear. And we're using published adventures.

Keenath

Explorer
I think the reason that Cloudkill doesn't block line of sight is because, from a tactical perspective, its so darn big that you're going to have a round or two to make ranged attacks while your enemies try to get out of it (because you're going to hit them with things that knock them prone or slow them, and then your fighter types are going to push them back into the cloud).
Sure, I see that. It just doesn't say 'cloud' much when it's transparent.

You could have some fun using an action point to put down a cloudkill and then a Wall of Ice with a single gap (to maintain line of effect to the CK), and then having the fighter stand in the gap (people don't block LOE) so nobody can escape from the cloud... Even more fun if the cloud were opaque so it turns into a game of blind man's bluff to get out...

As for Fireball, just to defend its honor for a moment, the fact that Fireball is a "fire and forget" spell is at times an advantage. :)
I never said a word against Fireball! I just mentioned it as THE STANDARD of 5th level spells.

Keenath

Explorer
Right now, almost everyone has poison immunities at low levels, because the amulets available mostly include the Amulet of Health, which gives you poison resistance. This has more to do with a scarcity of other options than it does with anything else. But, amongst my group of PCs, 3 out of 5 resist poison through their gear. And we're using published adventures.

In my group everyone wanted the Cloaks of Resistance. But that's really neither here nor there; by 19th level there's a lot more choice available and I wouldn't expect to see THAT many "Resist Poison 10" around. Especially with the Adventurer's Vault out.

Rackhir

Explorer
I can't really comment on 4e, but in 3e it's main use is as an army killer, since it wipes out the low level sorts who make up the majority of armies. It isn't a spell for taking down BBEGs or any level equivalent monsters.

You toss up a couple of walls of fire or something similar to block off and funnel the troops and then start the cloudkill rolling down. Dead army.

Also characters with poison immunity can fight inside it in an environment that injures or kills their opponents without hurting them. That saved our bacon in one fight.

Prism

Explorer
But it's not significantly better than keeping old Stinky. Maybe it's true that Stinking Cloud scales very nicely with level -- a 19th level spell ought to be better than a 5th level spell cast by a 19th level wizard!

i agree that stinking cloud is almost as good as cloudkill . i don't think wizard is alone though in not having powers at paragon tier that are better than those at heroic. they are just not always as obviously related as two so similar spells

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads