• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

Lorehead

First Post
I will bring up again a fact I mentioned before. If you saw it and chose to handle the situation as you did deliberately, never mind:
Tournament Rules said:
Once an opponent has been defeated and teleported out of the arena, the victor is also briefly teleported out of the arena. Then a greater dispel magic cast at 20th level is cast on the victory zone area.
This will have no effect on many barrier spells. If you don't want a creature to be able to close off the victory area with wall of stone and force foe after foe to forfeit, you might want to try a different method.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Lorehead said:
This will have no effect on many barrier spells. If you don't want a creature to be able to close off the victory area with wall of stone and force foe after foe to forfeit, you might want to try a different method.
You can teleport past the non-dispelling barrier spells. If a barrier spell is not dispelled, you can choose to bypass it, or not, your choice.

The key, however, IMO, is entering the arena. It will rarely be the more powerful creature's benefit to wall off the victory zone. And a less powerful creature will rarely possess the ability to do so, nor want to force a close-up fight with its adversary.

So, really, this is the best of both worlds and the GDM will keep the victory zone relatively uncluttered.

Gansk

Explorer
Hmmm... do I need to ban wall of stone to get everything to work right? Isn't that the only spell I really have to worry about?

Lorehead

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
So, really, this is the best of both worlds and the GDM will keep the victory zone relatively uncluttered.
An example of when this wouldn't be true: the rules say that a new entrant "must teleport into an empty space at zero elevation where they are not initially squeezing to fit into the space." The victory zone is 40' square. A typical Colossal creature takes up a 30' space. If it sat right in the middle, a Large or larger opponent would not be able to teleport in.

Hmmm... do I need to ban wall of stone to get everything to work right? Isn't that the only spell I really have to worry about?
I don't recall any other spells that create the same problem with a single casting, but wall of stone might actually be the least of your problems. Many high-CR creatures could break or phase through. Multiple walls of force would be more of a problem.

ugulu

First Post
Why don't we just let Psybo adjudicate the exceptions? I'm not looking for a lesson in contract law just to play the BoAA - if someone tries to "game" the arena by preventing access to the victory zone, Psybo can just crush their psyche, sweep them, and move on.

If the arena size is a problem, maybe just boost it to 150'x150' so there's plenty of elbow room.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Lorehead said:
An example of when this wouldn't be true...
This example will not actually occur in practice, so I'm with ugulu in choose to just move along. Or, just rule against barrier spells from blocking entrance/exit to the victory zone (including no dimensional locks on the victory zone, which I had considered using btw).

Gansk

Explorer
It's fine if we want to move along, but just so I don't waste my analysis...

Wall of force is of limited duration, so no one can win permanently unless they can perform it at will - I hope there are no monsters under CR 22 that can do that - sheesh!

Wall of stone needs other stone to support it, so it would have to be used creatively to get around the adamantine floor.

Wall of iron seems to be the main culprit, but ugulu is controlling the remainder of the rust dragons and he doesn't seem like he wants to exploit the loophole.

So move along, people! Nothing to see here!

PJSlavner

Explorer
Greetings from Croatia! I am in a hotel in Opatija to E-mail my wife, and I thought I would drop by TBoAA to have a look around.

So far the trip has been fine. One glitch was that yesterday was a holiday so I could change my money for the local currency, but my uncle was kind enough to lend me enough to get by. I met someone who offered to take my children to the beach today with her nephew so that my children did have to take the bus into town with me while I do errands.

I will see you in a few weeks mz time is up.

Remove ads