• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC] Inspirations Take Two!!!

Angelsboi

First Post
Blair Witch Project and there is a new movie called Disappearance on TBS (Wednesday night at 8 and 10) its SOOOOOO Fricking creepy and very Lovecraft. GREAT idea for a adventure idea!!!

Jin Chi

First Post
Creepy?

Were we watching the same movie?

Disappearance takes a vaguely interesting premise and turns it into a dull and near-incomprehensible mish-mash of bad writing, uninspired directing and dreadful acting.

I think the basic ideas, however, can be used for CoC though. In fact, that was the only reason I even considered watching it with my girlfriend.

The execution, however, is deeply flawed and I can't believe that anyone would actually recommend this movie.

Jaime

Angelsboi

First Post
*shrugs*

my opinion

It has the creep element of you dont know whats stalking them and why the townsfolk wont tell them anything.

snak

First Post
How about Legend of Hell House ? Try reading the Richard Matheson book or the 1972ish movie with Roddy Mcdowell. Great cult based investigation. Satanism! Cannibalism! A ghost that can kick your butt! Really great if you use the psychic investigatior template/feats from CoC.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
How about a movie with a desolate, backwater, delapidated town, creepy citizens, and terrible secrets. Why, the movie I'm thinking of even has degenerate inbred idiot humanoids and an old mansion insulated with human remains!

And its a comedy!

Albiet a dark comedy...

Nothing But Trouble

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
DnDChick said:
How about a movie with a desolate, backwater, delapidated town, creepy citizens, and terrible secrets. Why, the movie I'm thinking of even has degenerate inbred idiot humanoids and an old mansion insulated with human remains!

And its a comedy!

Albiet a dark comedy...

Nothing But Trouble

That's a classic. Well, not a classic that a lot people have seen, but I recommended it many times when I worked in a video rental store. :D

jkantor

First Post
"Nothing But Trouble"

Gee, a comedy that's not funny. What's really frightening is any movie with Chevy Chase in it.

Lovecraft doesn't translate well to film because the actual appearance of a creature is never as frightening as the anticipation of it. If I recall correctly, that's one big postive point about the original Hell House - you only saw manifestations.

If I were looking for a scary yet humorous horror film, I'd pick the Evil Dead or House series.

Wicht

Hero
A movie I watched last night - Dead Waters.

It is most certainly a Lovecraft progeny. It features a girl looking for her heritage on an isolated Island ruled over by nuns. There are cultic sounding books, degenerated humanity, cannibilism, and an ancient creature who waits for her offspring to waken her and call her forth into the world. There is also a sister who is more like her mother than the other. It is not bad, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a real treat, a CoC movie I had never heard of before. The beginning is a bit weird, but it just keeps getting better as you watch it.

Remove ads