• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC] Prestige classes?

Lazarus Long

First Post
Would the inclusion of prestige classes ruin the "everyman" feel of the PC's? Are any of you considering using prestige classes?

i'm a little torn. I've been wondering how to make an assassin (for a modern-era campaign): whether I should use normal characteristics or make a low-powered assassin prc.

What do you think?

cybernetic

Explorer
If you plan on just using the system from CoC to run a modern game...then I think prestige classes are a good idea...

if you're wanting to add prestige classes to CoC....I don't think that is a good idea.....

I think the rules from CoC could work well for a modern non CoC game....you could have the "Core" class be the offense and defense method from CoC and then create prestige classes to represent the specific training and whatnot....like your assassin idea....this could lead to an interesting modern game....each level you would have to decide either general defense or offense option or training in a special area (prestige class).....

essentially you could have the CoC system replace the core classes from d20 modern....and Shadowchasers

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
I agree with cybernetic, the world of CoC doesn't lend itself to overly powerful PC's. The whole point of horror RPG is the characters -and hopefully the players- are scared. It's caution, wits and research that keep a PC alive and sane in CoC, not firepower.

That being said, it might be possible to create some "upper level" feats -ones that require a few prerequisites. These might make the PC tougher when dealing with the mundane (cult lackeys with machetes & so forth), but still leave them vulnerable to the supernatural. Just a thought.

Crothian

First Post
PrCl don't have to focus on the combat. You could have a mundane version of the lore master, or a class that is more resilant against insanties. Having normal people in a hooror game is good, but it doesn't have to be that way. Aliens is a great movie that shows trained military going through a horror movie.

jkantor

First Post
Cthulhu is based around the idea of the players encountering two types of opponents: minions, who can be defeated, and "that which man was not meant to understand," which can't.

As long as encounters with the latter are possible (and ideally players are never sure at first which they are encountering), then anything else is fair game. D&D/CoC would work if the Elder Gods and Great Old Ones were powerful enough (which they really aren't it appears).

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
CoC was written with the power of CoC in mind. They are more then powerful enough foir that setting. However, if you take them to D&D where the players have 50 books full of power up options then you must do the same of CoC beings. Otherwise it's apples and oranges.

Remove ads