Codes of Behavior (or explaining when a Special Mount is a Special Friend).

Munin

First Post
As an aside, I recently got into an arguement with my group over the correct pronunciation of 'bestiality'.

Generallly, I think people are fond of saying 'BEASTiality', but we finally agreed that it is indeed 'BESTiality'.

Not really sure how we got on the subject in the first place, though.

Grim Warstorm

First Post
I'm gonna have to agree, know your players, and plan content around them. I've never had DM broach sex with animals in a game, but one DM did institue several rules centerd around his children, who were too young to play. Such as no swearing, etc. But he did make a effort to get the kids away from the table, he would send them to Grandma, who was all to happy to take her grandkids for a few hours. Another DM kept things at the table strictly PG around his daughters. I found out about this policy when I tried to get with a female NPC that he described as very beautiful, and my charactor had a "Fall in Love Easy" flaw.

People who wouldn't do these things, in either game, were told point blank not to come back.

Talk with the other, older, players out of game (or before game), and explain that:

A.) There are children present whom probably don't know what a lot of those terms mean; and
B.) You are trying to show the positive aspect of D&D to them, and through them, their parents - and having little Johnny come home and ask what bestiality means isn't doing it.

Basically, ask them to tone it down. They probably don't have to cut out all the references, just the more... umm... unusual ones?

It basically does come down to the other players. Chances are XP penalties and such aren't going to cut it if they don't realize that sort of subject is now off-limits. Even if they all agree, I would still stay away from game-based penalties. If someone slips up, then a hard "That subject had nothing to do with what's going on, let's get back to the game" from the DM should help.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Tell them they have to keep it down a bit.

Just don't get upset if some of them don't like those restictions and decide not to play in the game anymore. And I don't mean that to try and make you feel like having the kids play is going to ruin your game or anything. Just that some people aren't going to enjoy it as much if they have to constantly wonder if what they are doing is appropriately child friendly. I know if I told my group that we had a 12 year old coming in I'd lose half of them.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I can't help here. My game is NC-17 by any standard simply by virtue of violence, extraordinarily dark themes, sex, and well... playing fiends as they ought to be played.

Honestly given the tone of my games, and my players at times (we joke and swear like drunken sailors) I'd never allow anyone under 16 in my games. If a 12 year old showed up for a one shot game I was running I'd seriously consider telling them to find another game because I wouldn't be willing to artificially cull the maturity level.

Vraille Darkfang said:
Now, if he tells her "And then bob said 'When it says special mount it must be like that guy in Seattle that died while letting a horse *BLEEP* him up the *BLEEP*'".
I'm still trying to figure out why "Bob" was moron enough to bring up such a topic in front of 12 year olds. I take it "Bob" has no sense of social structure.

frankthedm

First Post
Vraille Darkfang said:
But, when a 2 pairs of 12 year olds look at me (the DM) and go "What does bestiality mean?" I'm at a loss. Ya know what? THAT ain't covered in the DMG or the DMG II. Using the "Ask your parents" line will just insure they never are allowed near a gaming table again.

What tips/techniques do you use to keep the game 'clean' so to speak.
Real blanking easy

If they do not know about birds and bees
Q. "What does bestiality mean?"
A. When someone touches a non human in the same "bad way" your parents warned you "bad people" would try and touch you.

If they do know

A crime where someone tries to 'make a baby" with the wrong species. Many people felt, and still feel, it is a crime against their God or Gods. Old legends say that is what created evil monsters like the Minotaur.

Cool article on the guy commiting suicide by horse BTW.

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
lukelightning said:
Come to think of it, D&D has sexual perversion in its core rules already, in the form of half-dragons, half fiends, and other icky things. Is it ok to have sex with a dragon?

http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2666419&postcount=15

You're what this post was made for.

I'm still trying to figure out why "Bob" was moron enough to bring up such a topic in front of 12 year olds. I take it "Bob" has no sense of social structure.

Ditto that. How the hell is this guy playing D&D?

Steel_Wind

Legend
VirgilCaine said:
With a big ruler?

Quoted for making me laugh out very loud, causing my wife to ask "what..WHAT?!!?"

More in the "how do you explain this death" as opposed to "keep order at the table" meaning :D

genshou

First Post
Most of my games would have an NC-17 for violence and disturbing imagery alone. Add in the occasional dead rape victim or background occurrence of the same, or the occasional, moderately portrayed sex scene, and the game could easily be borderline X-rated in some cases. I don't game with younger audiences, though. If I did I would tone down the game a great deal.

Edit: Forgot this part: If I had a younger audience and someone made a comment like that, I would politely ask them to leave and would not invite them back. I would allow them back if they apologized, but I wouldn't invite them.

Last edited:

Remove ads