• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cohort Character Concept Inspiration/Build

Keldin

First Post
(I posted about this some time ago in another place, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here too. Anyway, here goes...)

I'm looking for character concept inspiration. The only mechanics thing that's required is a maxed-out Perform (string instruments). The higher the better. (Well, making him drow might be kind of difficult, but it could be done.)

Here's the deal. I'm playing an artificer in a Kingmaker PBeM. Currently 3rd level. In Kingmaker, we eventually create our own kingdom -- this is actually the reason for the mechanic requirement above, since my artificer will be creating a lyre of building to help in, well, *building*. The DM has a house rule for the campaign that makes the high Perform a Very Good Thing.

The character will likely end up my character's cohort. Since we're currently 3rd level and this is a PBeM, the leadership feat is, almost literally, years away. But in the meantime, I'm hoping to begin creation of the character and turn it over to the DM so that he can work this NPC into the game and not have him just appear in a poof of smoke when my character reaches 7th level.

I have ideas of my own for this character/cohort, sure, but I'm hoping to use the other minds on this list to expand it (or even replace it) with things I never would have thought of.

And even if you don't want to work on the above, please let me here your ideas anyway. After all, there are always followers to be considered too!

Keldin

First Post
I forgot to mention: while the character is based in Pathfinder, all the Paizo books, D&D, and even third-party books are fine to use as well.

RobbieAB

Villager
Checking the Pathfinder SRD (limiting to core classes and races):

Perform is a class skill for Bards, Monks, and Rogues. As it is a Cha based skill, I believe if your focus is purely perform, Bard would be the best class to take.

In terms of choosing a race race, neither Elf nor Dwarf. Other races either have a Cha bonus, or can choose the ability bonus. Obviously this would be Cha. I have always been a sucker for human characters, but half-elf would also work well as the bonus human feat is likely to be skill-focus anyway.

There are two feats (I could see) that can be used to increase Perform (Stringed Instruments): Prodigy, and Skill Focus. Both of these would be taken.

I can't get much more abusive for pimping perform than that, I am afraid. Still, ranks + cha bonus + 5 should give a decent value at third level, and you can develop the cohort into other useful roles.

Remove ads