• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cohort = Item = Cohort.... Is it possible?

I looked into making a cool interesting item for a character but wanted to get some opinions and thoughts into how much you would price it and would you allow it.

I wanted to make an item that basically contained a cleric inside it.
It would be able to only cast it's spells onto the wearer of the item and could only communicate with the wearer. Spells like curatives, and buff type spells that can target another creature.

With the intelligent item rules this isn't really possible with making the cost astronomical, but what if you could put some restrictions into the item to help reduce cost and make it somewhat balanced.

Restrictions and requirements could be:
the Leadership feat for the item
Item takes up two slots, like headband and goggles
Item drains characters wisdom or charisma, from repeated conversations with the item.

So do you think this item would be too costly or just plain broken.?
How much would you price it and what would the item intail?

Scharlata

First Post
RayneBlythewood9 said:
So do you think this item would be too costly or just plain broken.?
How much would you price it and what would the item intail?

"State the case of your emergency!"

Interesting idea, but why don't you get your party a healer from the Miniatures Handbook or a staff of healing. That would be much cheaper.

If you like to hold on to your idea, make the item a minor artifact and "assume" a price. So you don't have to worry about the price of the item. Better yet, it wouldn't be a normal item with unusual abilities but a legendary artifact which could tell your party stories of battles and benevolent curations from times past.

Don't drain/damage the user for using the item at all. That's no fun - neither for you nor your players. You want the item to be used - don't tell me it isn't so.... :D !

Greetings from the EMH (Emergency Medical Hologram) :)

Kind regards

moritheil

First Post
Didn't someone just post about the UA Item Familiar rules?

Oh, you want a cohort, not a familiar. Hrm.

With the intelligent item rules this isn't really possible with making the cost astronomical, but what if you could put some restrictions into the item to help reduce cost and make it somewhat balanced.

I think that's true for a reason. Having a cohort wrapped around your finger and effectively never in danger (except when you roll a 1 on a save) is immensely powerful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads