• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cold Fusion ...

DeBhaal

First Post
Ok .. I wanna know what you peoples here would think the DC for developing Cold Fusion would be in an almost Post Apocolyps style game.

Then, if yer really feeling good, what the DC for creating a CF engine would be.

Psyckosama

First Post
Depends on the "feel" you're going for. If it's pulpish but gritty I'd say 30s-40s

Realistic... well... DC 100+ You'd need a fully staffed lab with massive facalties, a massive staff, and years to research.

Last edited:

Dude, it's not that hard. I figured out that you just need to super-freeze a cloud of sodium carbonate, then introduce helium ions at high-speed. Their impact will raise the temperature just barely, instigating a fusion cascade that wouldn't be possible at warmer temperatures. And I can't have more than, like, a +4 bonus to whatever checks are necessary.

Psyckosama

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Dude, it's not that hard. I figured out that you just need to super-freeze a cloud of sodium carbonate, then introduce helium ions at high-speed. Their impact will raise the temperature just barely, instigating a fusion cascade that wouldn't be possible at warmer temperatures. And I can't have more than, like, a +4 bonus to whatever checks are necessary.

Riiiiiiiiiight... [sarcastic]then tell me why it doesn't already exsist, oh great one [/sarcastic]

Dismas

First Post
Psyckosama said:
Riiiiiiiiiight... [sarcastic]then tell me why it doesn't already exsist, oh great one [/sarcastic]

[sarcastic]Well obviously the scientists don't visit these boards :D[/sarcastic]

Wolv0rine

First Post
Dismas said:
[sarcastic]Well obviously the scientists don't visit these boards :D[/sarcastic]

Or, hey, maybe it's because he doesn't have the money. There are uncountable numbers of completely revolutionary ideas, many of which could be proven 100% corrent in the right circumstances (Edit: And before it starts, yes some of which are crap), but those circumstances are out of reach of the thinkers. Not enough money, no facilities, no contacts with X, Y, or Z industries, or even "I'd need another 15 years of study to be able to prove it on paper".

But poor deBhaal just wanted opinions on something we're been talking about doing in-game, and he got what, 1...1.5 posts that actually dealt with that before the poop-flinging started?

Anyway, the game in question is Year or the Zombie 2003. For more info than you ever wanted to know about the game, see This link and This other link

Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Psyckosama

First Post
Wolv0rine said:
But poor deBhaal just wanted opinions on something we're been talking about doing in-game, and he got what, 1...1.5 posts that actually dealt with that before the poop-flinging started?

Hey, all I really wanted to make clear is something that big in a pulpish setting would take a high level character with the aproprate skills and a good lab would not hurt... in realistic its damned impossible

DeBhaal

First Post
How about you take a little time, and actually read what someone posts.

You completely missed Wolv's point. The fact that you told RangerWickett off for posting an idea that *YOU* found rediculous, does NOT mean that I would find it so.

Wolv0rine

First Post
DeBhaal said:
How about you take a little time, and actually read what someone posts.

You completely missed Wolv's point. The fact that you told RangerWickett off for posting an idea that *YOU* found rediculous, does NOT mean that I would find it so.

Yeah, that was pretty much where I was going.

Psyckosama said:

For example, E=MC2 didn't "already exist" until some nobody little clerk started saying it did. Did that make it worth shooting down in an insulting way? Granted, that's about what it got at the time, and granted those who did so ate both their words and their pride later.
It just irks me when people give in to their knee-jerk reaction of "If that were valid, someone important would have said so".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads