Cold resistence = Endure elements (cold)?

Ballard_Alvar

First Post
IcyCool said:
So, I've got an Aasimar Paladin in my game (Paladin 3/Fighter 2/Ranger 1/Variant Rogue 1). He was going to be flying (3 days ride on his Dragonnel) across country in the dead of winter. As an Aasimar has cold resistence 5, the question came up as to whether or not he'd suffer the temperature effects. I was unclear, but ruled that it didn't, as that would be a continual Endure Elements (cold) effect. Is there anything in the RAW about this?

in one of my more recent rpgs there was a warlock that was resitant to cold and he would periodically sleep in the snow. after all the hp you gain from sleeping would outway the hp loss that you get. but yes, i wouls agree you are still subject to cold effects, but simply take reduced damage althought it is unlikely to have a significant game effect so your dm is likely going to what he did.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Staffan said:
Actually, in 3.5 it's 5 points per instant. If you were hit with the cold equivalent of a Scorching Ray cast at 11th level (3 4d6 rays), each ray would be reduced by 5 points.

I would rule otherwise. One spell = one instance. Otherwise, Meteor Swarm will be near useless against someone with fire res.

Diirk

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I would rule otherwise. One spell = one instance. Otherwise, Meteor Swarm will be near useless against someone with fire res.

"Resistance to energy: A creature with resistance to an energy type ignores a certain amount of damage dealt by that energy type each time it is dealt. For instance, a creature with fire resistance 10 ignores the first 10 points of fire damage dealt by each attack. (snip)"

"Attack: Sny of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll."

"Attack roll: A roll to determine whether an attack hits. (snip)"

Meteor swarm = 4 attack rolls = 4 attacks = 4 instances of energy resistance.

While the way you choose to house rule it is interesting, do you only apply damage resistance once per full round attack? No? Its the same thing, really...

Goolpsy

First Post
according to 3.0, (i think) it ignores the damage per round.. so if you have 10 resistance.. i hit you 4 times with a weapon dealing 3.. you still get 2 damage

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Diirk said:
"Resistance to energy: A creature with resistance to an energy type ignores a certain amount of damage dealt by that energy type each time it is dealt. For instance, a creature with fire resistance 10 ignores the first 10 points of fire damage dealt by each attack. (snip)"

"Attack: Sny of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll."

"Attack roll: A roll to determine whether an attack hits. (snip)"

Meteor swarm = 4 attack rolls = 4 attacks = 4 instances of energy resistance.

While the way you choose to house rule it is interesting, do you only apply damage resistance once per full round attack? No? Its the same thing, really...

Hmmmm. So strictly speaking, if the damage is applied only once per hour, the resistance only applies once. Infiniti2000's answer is, in fact, correct.

I'd still rule the way IcyCool did, of course.

Victim

First Post
Depending on the level of resistance and temperature, a creature might not feel cold the same we humans do. "What do you mean freezing winds? It's merely pleasantly cool."

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Yeah, it doesn't make sense that the character can withstand magical cold that would otherwise freeze him to death in an instand, but will be unconfortable (or worse) in natural cold that is much more moderate.

Remove ads