• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected Core Handbook Errata

NMcCoy

Explorer
There are no rings in the PHB below 14th level, so Heroic-tier characters shouldn't be getting the chance to use them anyway. Admittedly, the 1 at Paragon/2 at Epic thing is gone, but the "no rings at Heroic" is still present, just cleverly hidden.

OakwoodDM

First Post
Technically, a heroic tier character could get a hold of a ring. The parcels of rewards for the progress from 10 to 11 would include a lvl 11, a lvl 12, a lvl 13 and a lvl 14 magical item. So a level 10 character could have a ring shortly before he hits Paragon.

Argyuile

First Post
Just because 1 encounter or daily power is strictly better than another doesn't necessarily mean its wrong or bad. The same with powers with different names if they have identical effects. What your doing at that point (if you take both) is saying that now I can use this particular power, albeit with different names, twice per encounter or twice per day instead of once.

If it was an at-will power I would totally agree but for encounter/daily I don't think it qualifies as a mistake.

OakwoodDM

First Post
I'm not 100% sure this is an error, but I'm pretty sure. Page 88 of the DMG, the Doomspore obstacle, says it is a lvl 3 obstacle, but that it's worth 350XP (and can be upgraded to Elite at 700XP). I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be 150XP (and 300 for Elite) and stay at level 3, or moved to level 8 with the same XP. Either way, it's wrong.

I'd lean towards the move it to lvl 8 option due to the elite option, but +6 vs Fort's pretty weak at that level...

Particle_Man

Explorer
PHB page 7 "Throughout the 1980s, the game experienced remarkable growth. Novels, a cartoon series, computer games and the first campaign settings (Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance) were released,"

Does not mention the Greyhawk campaign setting, which I am pretty sure was released (as a boxed set) before Forgotten Realms and am certain was released before Dragonlance.

Animal

First Post
✦ p.25: under 'Languages and Scripts' it says, "You can’t choose the Abyssal or Supernal languages as a 1st-level character", it should say, "You can’t choose the Abyssal or Supernal languages with your racial bonus languages" [Mouseferatu]
maybe it means that abyssal and supernal can't be picked by a 1st lvl character with a "linguist" feat either?

Flazzy

First Post
Under the strige sample encounters: 2 bonecrusher skeletons (level 7 soldier) - no such monster exists.

Also, many monsters with insubstantial and regeneration seem to get less HP than expected (brutes get 8/level instead of 10, lurkers get 4/level instead of 6 etc.) - not a mistake, just doesn't appear as an official rule in the books.

Underage AOLer

First Post
Argyuile said:
Just because 1 encounter or daily power is strictly better than another doesn't necessarily mean its wrong or bad. The same with powers with different names if they have identical effects. What your doing at that point (if you take both) is saying that now I can use this particular power, albeit with different names, twice per encounter or twice per day instead of once.

If it was an at-will power I would totally agree but for encounter/daily I don't think it qualifies as a mistake.

I would maybe agree with you if they were the exact same power. However, given the fact that both powers' lower level versions are actually better than their higher level incarnations, I have to disagree. It makes much more sense that one of the powers was changed in isolation to make it better or worse (the lower or higher level power respectively), while the other one wasn't considered, and ended up almost the same. This is especially true given the fact that the multitude of powers a PC has to choose from are supposed to give them options, and although another use of a [slightly worse] power is technically an "option", it isn't one I think is in the spirit of the intent.

Animal said:
maybe it means that abyssal and supernal can't be picked by a 1st lvl character with a "linguist" feat either?

This post sums up the reasoning why it would be an error (or at least need clarification) better than I could.

Flazzy said:
Under the strige sample encounters: 2 bonecrusher skeletons (level 7 soldier) - no such monster exists.

Also, many monsters with insubstantial and regeneration seem to get less HP than expected (brutes get 8/level instead of 10, lurkers get 4/level instead of 6 etc.) - not a mistake, just doesn't appear as an official rule in the books.

Added.

It seems like a lot of the monsters in the manual don't follow their own rules very well. I wonder which deviations are intentional and which are accidental.

silentounce

First Post
PHB, page 263. Extended Rest section says under the "No Strenuous Activity" heading that you don't have to sleep during an extended rest. Yet immediately below that under the "Sleeping and Waking Up" heading it says that you have to have slept at least six hours in the last 24 to get a benefit from the rest period. Either these two statements are inconsistent or they are okay with the following:
Under the "Once per Day" heading it says that you have to wait at least 12 hours before resting again. So, at 12am a party rests for six hours, they don't need to set a watch because they have an Eldarin party member. They wake at 6am. They decide to rest again at 6pm. They don't have to sleep at all because by the time 12am rolls around they'll still have slept six hours in the previous 24.

Did they intend to allow this? I doubt that's why there's an inconsistency, but it allows it. Anyway, to summarize, it's a mess.

MOD

First Post
Pg. 32 MM.

Beholder Eye of Flame. The Central Eye power doesn't have any numbers for attacking, its just states the range and then gives the effect.

Remove ads