• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected submission window feedback

jffdougan

First Post
Today is the first day for the October/November 2012 submission window for DDI. Last fall, I collected the feedback that people had collected into a single post here, cross-posted and updated at the Wizards of the Coast forum. The job I had during the spring kept me from doing the same for the April/May window, but I should have the time to try to monitor & update things here. Accordingly, if folks are willing to share the feedback they get on pitches sent during the window, I'll keep a single compilation below.

Quickleaf

Legend
Cool. I've gone thru 3 submission windows of rejection, which I think is fairly typical (at least that's what I tell myself ;) ). Will post here with any response.

I just submitted a "Medieval Detectives" article to Dragon, a "Court of Stars" article on the Wild Hunt to Dungeon, and 2 Dungeon adventures which were previously rejected. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Siberys

Adventurer
Just got mine in... I had a really hard time parsing what they wanted this time. I cut out all of my feat and class based ideas, packaged these as unearthed arcana docs that wouldn't go into the CB, and tried to focus on fluff.

They seem to be passing on the sort of articles I wanna see (crunch, Eberron). All in all, rather disappointing.

Mr. Thibault,

Thank you for your submissions. Unfortunately, despite your creative proposals, I'm going to have to pass on all three.

Special Materials: The article's premise appears to be geared toward a sort of power creep, another means for players to buff out their characters in yet another way. One can and should assume that virtually any magical item might be made of special materials from the get-go, and it is our feeling that existing mechanics such as superior implements and dragonshard augments provide more than enough options for customizing or improving character equipment.

Reflavoring Races: This pitch seems vague at best. I would suggest looking into the racial variant options from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book, expanding one of your favorite races from this pitch, and rewriting that race's option into a racial variant pitch, then resubmitting. You might find more traction that way.

Exotic Races of Eberron: We feel that the Eberron setting is quite well-established in terms of playable character races.

Thank you for your interest. We look forward to reading more of your submissions!
D&D Submissions

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 8:55 AM
To: Submissions
Subject: 3 Article Pitches

Working Title - Unearthed Arcana: Special Materials Estimated Word Count: 3000 This article introduces a new type of item - a Special Material - which modifies an existing item, allowing for items such as a +2 Flaming Adamantine Dagger. It includes several example materials, guidelines for creating new special materials, and advice for using them in a campaign.

Working Title - Unearthed Arcana: Reflavoring Races Estimated Word Count: 3000 This article gives advice for using and modifying existing races to represent other races. It includes several examples of both flavor-only changes and changes where mechanics are modified.

Working Title - Exotic Races of Eberron
Estimated Word Count: 5000
This article contains descriptions of the place Eneko (Goliaths), Umbragen (Shades), Dromites (Thri-Kreen), and Shardminds have in Eberron. It is partially intended to bring lore from out-of-print Eberron resources to new player's hands, and partly to provide character-building advice. It may include some racial feats, but does not necessarily need to, and it may also have a tie-in with the previous article in the form of suggested mechanical changes to those races to evoke the necessary flavor.

Remove ads