• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collection of premade (noncombat) NPCs?

Frankie1969

Adventurer
I'm preparing a game world, and I have a decent handle on the big picture stuff, but not so much on secondary details. I'd like to populate the background with a bunch of fleshed-out NPCs: names, relationships, personalities, quirks, and (ideally) secrets. For example, local residents & businesspeople, guests at a social event, passengers & crew on a trip, etc.

The specific setting is alternate 1880s Europe, but I could probably adapt NPCs from medieval fantasy through near future. Game system is irrelevant; very few of them will ever need stats.

I'm hoping maybe someone has made a compendium of such people? Or even a list of mix & match traits?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
From Paizo for Pathfinder, there is the Gamemastery Guide, with a full third of that book as stats for hundreds of PCs of varying level and occupation. The PDF is only $9.99, though I got it for free from Paizo when they gave me a commission to create a map and gazetteer for the Jade Regent AP, as resource material. I haven't used it for NPCs but they certainly are in that book... just a suggestion.

Crothian

First Post
If you don't need stats for the characters there is a book called Masks that has 1000 NPCs of which about a third is for fantasy. It is a fantastic book that I have used in every campaign since I got it.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
The 1000 Masks book looks very cool.

Of course I can't help but pimp my own product. The first 80 characters were prepared previously, so can be sent out digitally straight away if you choose to back for it.

Crothian

First Post
Another resource is the To Slay a Dragon website. They have a free down load of NPCs that are used in that adventure that can easily be used in other fantasy campaigns. Don't ignore the adventure though, it is pretty cool.

Remove ads