• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

College Football: Bowls

Krieg

First Post
Crothian said:
It has used the criteria that was set out for it and matched 1 and 2.

Of course it is important to note that they have changed that criteria every year of the BCS's existence except for one because of opinions that they "got it wrong".

Since no one could agree the system was set up so it doesn't matter what people can argue.

Who was the 03-04 national champion?

If Auburn wins out will there be a unanimous champ this year?

It's not as good a a playoff, but truies to keep the bowl tradition alive.

I would say that it has done a poor job of that as well. Texas & Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl while Big Ten & Pac Ten champs are forced elsewhere? USC & Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl while the Canes & Gators play in Georgia?

The bowl tradition is already dead and from all objective standpoints the BCS has been a failure at it's "stated" mission.

The only thing the BCS has managed to do is funnel most of the bowl cash to the BCS schools and bowls, which was of course it's unspoken real mission.

Crothian

First Post
Krieg said:
Who was the 03-04 national champion?

If Auburn wins out will there be a unanimous champ this year?

The problem with this is we have too many organizations handing out national championships. Just like before the BCS when the AP and Coaches polls each picked their own. So, that's not the BCS' fault, its too many cooks spoiling the soup.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Yeah, it was a great game. But it's not often a team has a shot at a perfect season. And their ESPN streak is over, too. They were something like 15-0 on ESPN.

They showed well, put up a great fight, and they didn't get blown out like many thought they would. Still a major bummer, though.

Crothian

First Post
Elton said:
Excusses, excusses. Texas Tech ROCKED.

(Yes, I am in Lubbock)

I won't deny them that, that was another great game. I think they were very underrated finishing third is a very strong Big 12 south.

Krieg

First Post
Crothian said:
The problem with this is we have too many organizations handing out national championships. Just like before the BCS when the AP and Coaches polls each picked their own. So, that's not the BCS' fault, its too many cooks spoiling the soup.

...but you honestly think the best solution is to place the outcome in the hands of groups that have decidedly pronounced conflicts of interest and no accountability?

Texas jumping over Cal in the BCS can be directly traced to Big12 coaches who suddenly dropped Cal far down in their rankings to boost the Longhorns positions. Not to mention having the Big East commisioner being in charge of the BCS commite & deliberately changing the rules to benefit the Big East.

There are severe problems with the BCS that the powers that be have no desire to fix because it is financially advantageous for them not to.

BTW you boys are welcome back in Columbus anytime. ;)

That is not kosher.

Elton said:
Excusses, excusses. Texas Tech ROCKED.

(Yes, I am in Lubbock)

Who's making excuses? Just because Cal (specifically) & The PAC10 (in general) are overrated this year in no way takes anything away from the whipping that TT put on them. The Red Raiders offense can be a difficult one to prepare for & Mike Leach has done an excellent job of creating matchups that favor TT's offensive players. His boys have nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Krieg said:
The only thing the BCS has managed to do is funnel most of the bowl cash to the BCS schools and bowls, which was of course it's unspoken real mission.
So, basically BCS is nothing more than a college-level commercial enterprise, compared to the commercialization of professional sports.

RBM

Explorer
Krieg said:
The bowl tradition is already dead and from all objective standpoints the BCS has been a failure at it's "stated" mission.
In truth, the principle objective of the BCS was to match #1 vs. #2. That has happened. Where the controversy arises, and where the incessant tweaking occurs, is in the mechanisms for determining #'s 1 & 2.

As an Alabama fan (and thus tired of seeing them lose winnable games), I'm not too upset to see Auburn frozen out of the championship picture, but objectively, I have a hard time seeing how a team can go undefeated through the ninth toughest schedule in the nation, tougher than USC or Oklahoma's, and be outside looking in.

Remove ads