• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

College of Glamour - Mantle of Inspiration movement fluff

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Hello.

Long story short:
Quick question regarding your fluffly portrayal of the movement component of the College of Glamour ability, 'Mantle of Inspiration'.

Short story long: Making a character, a scruffy, asocial half-elf that's been cursed with great charisma*

Over time they've learnt to control their curse and will be represented, mechanically, as a Bard of the College of Glamour.

Reading through the class, very much enjoying the flavour. However, I'm a little confused over the movement component of Mantle of Inspiration.

I can 'get' that inspiration might make one dodge/duck/weave better, hence the temporary hit points.

However, with regards to the targets using their action to move up to its speed, without provoking attacks of opportunity - what is going on here?

I can pull some fluff out of an orifice as much as the next person and I'm curious to hear your take on what's going on.

How do you/would communicate the effect to a player, in terms of in-game experience? Is the target surfing a wave of inspiration, dancing around/away/wherever? Are they flushed with energy and seeming ninja-like dexterity? What do those not effected experience/witness?

:-S

*..think Brian, from Life of Brian. He's not trying to put the charm on but getting all the attention and yes, is rather exasperated about the whole thing.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Can't say it makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe it is that your opponents are distracted for a few moments, time enough for your allies to reposition.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It says it "enthralls your allies with vigor and speed." So, they momentarily become faster. It's the same dodging ducking and weaving, essentially.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
It says it "enthralls your allies with vigor and speed." So, they momentarily become faster. It's the same dodging ducking and weaving, essentially.

Good call - so yes, a burst of speed ninja-like speed. And as [MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] suggests, perhaps the enemy are distracted, at least enough to miss their attacks of opportunity.

I'll mix them - playing it/portraying it as surge of otherworldly energy the energises friends and offset foes.

Thank you good people!

Remove ads