• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collossal Creatures. Damage and Criticals.

Albert_Fish

First Post
I am gonna make this short. Why would a sword...any sword do just as much damage toa tiny creature as a Collossal creature? How do you crit/sneak attack a creature who's skin, subcutaenous fat and/or scales runs deeper than your sword can penetrate? my palyers thinkits ridculous to be able to crit/sneak attack a Collossal Ancient Red Wyrm and the realistic side of me tends to agree. Granted Smaug had his one weakness...but he was a special case. i suppose if we reduce Weapon damage then spells would be overly useful/powerful.

has anyone ever houseruled this? i am thinking about giving appropriate creatures some form of Fortification or reducing weapon damage by one die size for gargantuan, two for Collossal, and 3 for Collossal + doinga minimum of one pointof damage.

or should i assume that his size and its inpenatrability is represented by his High Hitpoints?

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Their collossal ability to shrug off damage is all part of their copious quantities of hit points.

Hygric

First Post
and their generous con scores, and their high natural AC. So the weaons effectively do less damge, even on a crit etc, but it is reflected by the simple mechanic of making them tougher and harder to land a meaningful blow against (ie AC) instead of mucking about with different damages vs different sizes.

Albert_Fish

First Post
But my 10/10th level Troll fighter.weaponmaster wielding an oversized Heavy Mercurial greatsword who does 500 hp of Damage ON ONE ATTACK!!!!!! so by the end of his attacks he does nearly 2000 damage.....to a Collossal creature whom he can only hit the toe of......its silly

ER scratch that 500 hp of damage per round so in 4 rounds 2000 points of Damage!!! plus he can Vorpal the Giant things head off???? that is screwed up

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
500 points of damage with a weapon most DMs wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole from a 20th level character in a full round without movement just fails to impress me.

The punctuation doesn't make your point any stronger, I might add.

Hygric

First Post
Albert_Fish said:
But my 10/10th level Troll fighter.weaponmaster wielding an oversized Heavy Mercurial greatsword who does 500 hp of Damage ON ONE ATTACK!!!!!! so by the end of his attacks he does nearly 2000 damage.....to a Collossal creature whom he can only hit the toe of......its silly

:rolleyes:

What bit is silly, the damage per round, or the 10th/10th level troll with a huge mercurial greatsword?

LightPhoenix

First Post
Over 20th level, since a Troll has an effective character level. And a huge strength.

Is this post a troll?

[EDIT: A before consonants, an before vowels...]

Last edited:

Balthasar

First Post
mr fish...

you have rendered me speechless with your blatant munchkinism...

is omega 3 somewhat damaging to ones brain activity????

Kibo

Banned
Banned
To those scratching their heads in response to Albert. Put on your critical thinking caps. Notice the improbable outragious claims. Notice the use of the word troll. Notice the generous use of exclaimation points.

That's right. He's using hyperbole to make a point. I don't happen to agree with his point, but none the less.

Remove ads