• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Colonial RPG?

Thayan

First Post
dougmander said:
I agree! The short answer is, when someone else gets around to writing it. That would be a huge task, and now that I'm a dad, I don't have the large blocks of free time that I had when I wrote and illustrated Northern Crown. Although I doubt Atlas Games would be interested in publishing a hardcover Uropa or Southern Cross gazetteer, they have given the thumbs up to the Northern Crown webzine and podcast, to which anyone could submit Uropa or Southern Cross-related material. So get typing already!

Speaking of teh podcast... Itsstill in its infancy... but look for episode 1 to come out on Christmas day or the day after. I have a great Essay from Doug but I havent gotten my half done (Since iM the host and producer I kinda need to get on that, its recorded just need to edit it all together. But with Holidays..:)) But please come listen and submit your ideas. My hope is to use the POdcast as a conduit and place for Fans to present ideas centrally so others can come find resources.

Plus we will have a voice mail number soon...:)

Visit us at ncchronicles.blogspot.com or email at ncpodcast@yahoo.com

rgard

Adventurer
Woas said:
Hi party people.

A couple friends of mine, along with myself were thinking of starting an RPG that was themed off of some old unknown video game called War Along the Mohawk. Basically an RPG set in 17th century America.

Ideally we would like a d20 type game since we all know the rules. But I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books out there that might have some details about this already. We aren't looking to have anything mystical - that is no witches or magical spell stuff. A pretty grim-n-gritty mundane type of game.

Because my friends an I are all familiar with basic 3rd Edition Revised D&D, I have started the long task of pretty much rebuilding the front end of it to fit into a Colonial RPG: basically all new classes, feats and races (well... more like cultures since everyone is human) and perhaps adding in something like Combat Rites from Arcana Evolved to give some flare. But if there was anything already out there that has done some or all of this I would greatly appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks,
Woas

Avalanche Press did a Pirate supplement that had little if any magic in it. Not sure if it was set in the 17th or 18th centuries. In any case the classes there should fit fine with what you want to do.

Thanks,
Rich

ragboy

Explorer
Woas said:
@Stormborn
All this time I thought Grim Tales was an RPG that revolved around the Grimm Fairy Tales! I guess I never thought about that missing m. From what I've looked at so far, Grim Tales is promising. My only concern is that the system might be too in line with "fantasy"? I don't know really cause I haven't checked the book out at a LGS yet, but I will make a point to do so.

Woas,

If you haven't already settled on Northern Crown (which is also a great product -- at least for source material and rules idiosyncracies of the time period if you're not interested in their mythos) you can also check out Grim Tales SRD: http://www.carcere.net/~kirintor/index.php?x=gtsrd/index

All the rules with the exception of the magic system (and a couple other things) are covered here. It'll at least give you a better idea whether you like the system (moreso than flipping through the book at a store).

I haven't played Northern Crown, but I've done a bit with Grim Tales, and it's mutable to any setting you're looking to build. I built a 16th century pirate/explorer/pulp campaign that came out very very nice.

Remove ads