• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combat challenge and kobold shift

Nithendil

First Post
Sorry if this has been addressed already, I wasn't able to locate the search function.

The fighters combat challenge states that if an adjacent enemy shifts he can make a melee basic attack as an immediate interrupt. Does this also apply to the kobold's reaction shift ability?

Jack99

Adventurer
Nithendil said:
Sorry if this has been addressed already, I wasn't able to locate the search function.
ENworld is so popular that they make you pay for the search function.

Nithendil said:
The fighters combat challenge states that if an adjacent enemy shifts he can make a melee basic attack as an immediate interrupt. Does this also apply to the kobold's reaction shift ability?

Yes, but only if it is marked.

Mort_Q

First Post
Do note that that ability is supposed to work only on marked individuals.

If it uses the shift keyword, then yes.

kmdietri

Explorer
Nithendil said:

It actually shouldn't apply to this.

Because it says in the rules section of the adventure booklet that you can not take an immediate action on your turn. So if the fighter is approaching the kobold it's his turn and therefore he can't make his immediate attack.

frankthedm

First Post
kmdietri said:

Because it says in the rules section of the adventure booklet that you can not take an immediate action on your turn. So if the fighter is approaching the kobold it's his turn and therefore he can't make his immediate attack.
Indeed.

AZRogue

First Post
kmdietri said:

Yeah, you're right. A Fighter can use Combat Challenge to make a Basic Melee Attack against a Shifting opponent, including the Kobolds since their ability has the Shift keyword. However, he can't do this during his actual turn, vs. the Dragonshields, for instance, when they Shift away from approaching enemies, but CAN use it against the other Kobolds who Shift away after attacking on their own turn. Also, since you can only have one Immediate Reaction each round, the Fighter would only be able to do this once per round, not once per Kobold that Shifts near him. Finally, the target would have to be Marked by the Fighter as well.

Powerful, but not overwhelmingly so.

anomalousman

First Post
AZRogue said:
Yeah, you're right. A Fighter can use Combat Challenge to make a Basic Melee Attack against a Shifting opponent, including the Kobolds since their ability has the Shift keyword. However, he can't do this during his actual turn, vs. the Dragonshields, for instance, when they Shift away from approaching enemies, but CAN use it against the other Kobolds who Shift away after attacking on their own turn. Also, since you can only have one Immediate Reaction each round, the Fighter would only be able to do this once per round, not once per Kobold that Shifts near him. Finally, the target would have to be Marked by the Fighter as well.

Agreed on all points but this: Reading the text in KoTS, I don't actually read it that the targets have to be marked. The penalties for being marked seem quite separate from the immediate OA on adjacent shifting opponents. In other words, I read combat challenge as granting two separate abilities rather than one linked one.

Am I obviously wrong? Or right? Does anyone know for sure?

Remove ads