• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combat challenge in an occupied square

James McMurray

First Post
What if the situation is this:

Code:
. . X
. Y .
D F .
F = party Fighter
Y = an enemy
X = the enemy whose turn it is
D = their destination

X is moving to get beside the fighter, and he moves through Y's square. While leaving Y's square he provokes an OA, and the fighter hits. This would normally stop X in his tracks, but he can't stop there. What happens?

We had a similar situation happen in the session before last. I don't remember what I ruled, but it was along the lines of "let's brush over this and not worry about it because this fight has already lasted forever."

Kordeth

First Post
What if the situation is this:

Code:
. . X
. Y .
D F .
F = party Fighter
Y = an enemy
X = the enemy whose turn it is
D = their destination

X is moving to get beside the fighter, and he moves through Y's square. While leaving Y's square he provokes an OA, and the fighter hits. This would normally stop X in his tracks, but he can't stop there. What happens?

We had a similar situation happen in the session before last. I don't remember what I ruled, but it was along the lines of "let's brush over this and not worry about it because this fight has already lasted forever."

I'd let the fighter choose which legal square adjacent to Y X ends up in and is stopped, or else rule that X falls prone since you can occupy a prone ally's square.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

PHB p283:
Ending Movement: You can end your movement in an ally’s square only if the ally is prone. You can end your movement in an enemy’s square only if the enemy is helpless. However, Tiny creatures can end their movement in a larger creature’s square. If you don’t have enough movement remaining to reach a square you are allowed to be in, your move ends in the last square you could occupy.

Since the OA stops his movement, X does not have enough movement remaining to reach any square; therefore, his move ends in the last legal square. In your diagram, this square was labelled X (his starting position).

He enters his ally's square, he gets hit, and his movement ends in the previous square. A bit like a knockback effect, essentially.

-Hyp.

Remove ads