Combat- Group Style

The Grackle

First Post
Belen said:
I am wondering about the push to have multiple combatants in a fight. While I often use this method in my games, I also enjoy having the single monster ripping the PCs to shreds. The lone direwolf or dragon that attacks the village or city is something I enjoy running. I am not sure why there is an emphasis on multiple creature encounters or why they are attempting to push for that style of play, unless there is a minis reason.

What do you all think about this? I admit that I am torn on the concept of 4e and I move from positive to negative feelings about it everyday. Sometimes I really love what I hear, then others....

I think they're trying to cover different types of battles: hordes, groups, and single boss monsters. From the example fight w/the dragon, I like what I saw for boss monsters, giving them more attacks and enough HP to survive more than a round or two.

I'm hopeful about the emphasis on groups. Mixing monster types and monster-tactics is what's fun for me as a DM. Tactics and group roles are what make a PC team effective, and if that's more of a focus for monster-encounters, it should make for more interesting fights.

Beckett

Explorer
Thursday night, I ran a fight between 4 level 10 PCs and a CR 14 villain, a classed half-fiend. The half-fiend was pretty tough, and could dish out a lot of damage, but with four characters pounding on him, I think he was done in about 3 rounds. I couldn't really have him do anything cool, as that would take up actions that he could be using on attacks.

I'm looking forward to a group vs group standard, although I'd also like to see something where solo opponents are able to use more actions, as with the sample encounter with the dragon.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I agree with Grackle. The difference, I believe, will be lower CR monster hordes are no longer tedious fights, but actually fun.

Big Bad End Guys will be there. I don't see them taking them out.

You could just throw a horribly level inappropriate monster at your group anyways, right? ;)

FireLance

Legend
As others have said, I think the emphasis on group vs group combat is because a fight between a group of PCs and a single creature often favors the PCs because they get multiple actions for every one that their opponent makes. For a single tough monster, it looks like the solution will be to give it more actions.

I have previously speculated that this may be an indication of how monster statistics may change when the monster adopts different roles in 4e. The giant that the PCs must work together as a group to overcome at 5th level might have the statistics of a Solitary Bad Guy (including, possibly, the ability to attack multiple opponents with a standard action swing of his club, dealing moderate damage to each opponent), while the giant gang that the PCs encounter at 10th level might have Grouped Bruiser stats and be limited to a single attack per standard action (but one that would do hefty damage).

However, I would be wary of the potential downsides of monsters being able to do too many things before the party can react, such as the possibility of sending one or more PCs from full hit points into the negatives in a single turn's worth of actions. In 3e, this has happened a couple of times with a DM who liked to make a single initiative roll for his monsters, and liked sending them against the party in big groups. One way to ensure this is to allow the monster to make multiple reactions, i.e. multiple immediate actions in response to the PCs' actions, instead of making multiple free actions on its turn.

Remove ads