• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combat Mages vs. Vector Thrust Tanks

Vyrolakos

First Post
Can Combat Mages still take out military vector thrust tanks with one single spell in SR 5th Ed.?

This was something that turned me off SR 3rd Ed. as I tend to like the Rigger classes in SR.

As a rigger, you spend all your money and resources (and time and effort) outfitting some cutting edge technology vehicles, not necessarily military, and some poxy Combat Mage wipes out your ride with one attack spell that doesn't even raise a sweat.

Tell me you fixed this?

Vyrolakos

First Post
I believe that it was a pretty common ranged combat spell used by nearly all Combat Mages. However, allow me to rephrase my question.

Is magic still the be all and end all of Shadowrun play in 5th Edition or have they done anything to try to balance Magic / Technology so that Technology isn't massively overshadowed and outclassed by Magic in the game?

Derren

Hero
The drain got increased. If that is enough has to be seen in actual play, especially when the magic and cyber book comes out.

Vyrolakos

First Post
Well, that sounds like a promising step, but I guess it really comes down to the overall balance between Magic & Technology.

The problem I have is that I came to Shadowrun from Cyberpunk, so I kind of lean toward the side of Technology when it comes to 'cyberpunky' games. Not that there is anything wrong with magically turning someone into a puddle of goo. :)

Derren

Hero
Well, that sounds like a promising step, but I guess it really comes down to the overall balance between Magic & Technology.

The problem I have is that I came to Shadowrun from Cyberpunk, so I kind of lean toward the side of Technology when it comes to 'cyberpunky' games. Not that there is anything wrong with magically turning someone into a puddle of goo. :)

That Shadowrun turned too much towards magic was a common complain with 4E. If 5E changes it remains to be seen, especially now with Limits thrown into the mix. Also the final verdict can only be done when the sure to come cyberware and magic books are out.

Lurker37

Explorer
Direct damage spells got nerfed into the ground, and physical damage and armour got increased.

Having said that pretty much anyone who generally plays a single archetype is claiming that they've been nerfed and another class makes them redundant. :hmm:

Vyrolakos

First Post
I don't know what the latest edition has done to each archetype, but I do know that magic users got waaaaay out of control back in 3rd Ed.

I watched as the game groups I played in went from one magic using character and five or six other non-magic users, to four or five magic users (including physical adept types), one rigger and one belligerent Samurai who went down the nano-tech route.

I really do get that it's a magic and tech setting, but I feel that the balance got thrown away towards the end of 3rd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads