• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Combat Option: Massive Damage - What are your experiences?

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I had intended on using this rule for an upcoming ToA campaign but after reading through ToA and thinking on how often this will come up, as well as the emphasis it will put on Constitution saving throws, I'm reconsidering. My one reason for thinking it's probably not as bad as I think it is, is that it also applies to enemy combatants.

Anyway, before using it in my own game, I was hoping to hear from other people who have tried it and what they think about how it changes the dynamic of the game and if it was a good or bad thing for them.

Zippee

First Post
Sorry I thought Massive Damage instant death was a core PHB rule - is there an additional / optional variant in TOA?

I'm aware there is a Meatgrinder option - take 10% Extra XP for upping the death save DC to 15 - but that doesn't sound like what you are asking about.

pukunui

Legend
Sorry I thought Massive Damage instant death was a core PHB rule - is there an additional / optional variant in TOA?
It's in the DMG (page 273).

I considered using it once myself but ultimately decided it was just another thing to track, so I didn't bother.

Last edited:

Zippee

First Post
Oh that - Basically roll on a d10 table if you take in excess of half your max HP in a single hit, should you fail the CON save.

Seems more hassle than it's worth and in the end just adds to the admin and the overall swinginess of combat rolls.

If you want extreme damage to count for more than just instant death, just have taking half your max HP in one strike lead to unconsciousness and Death Save Row immediately - it will make low levels even more dangerous but will make mid and high levels a bit more susceptible to lotsa damage (including long falls - no bad thing)

I use that rule frequently. But i have set a treshold of at least 10 or so damage. And I use it mostly on npcs. Makes combats a bit more interesting for the players.

Coroc

Hero
Well one of my Players had an instant death experience last session resulting from a botched arcana check of another Player meddling with an artefact.

No saving throw no death saves.

(He was revived shortly thereafter by a divine Intervention so fair game on my Little " i did not do it " -DM scheme )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads