Combat rounds -- one minute

Did you play AD&D combat rounds as one minute long?

• Yes - combat rounds were played as one minute long.

Votes: 108 66.7%
  • No - we played combat rounds as shorter than one minute.

Votes: 54 33.3%

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Staffan said:
I find your math intriguing. A longbow has a range increment of 100', which means it can fire at a range of 1000' (10 range increments), with a -18 to hit (first increment is free - though you could make the argument that 1000' is where it flips to -20, but 995' is -18 anyway). Archers who are specially trained in long-range fire would likely have the Far Shot feat, which would increase that to 1,500'.

Doesn't the range increment penalty max out a 5 increments? I thought that was the rule? (but you are right it should, even by that, be 600') . We don't have an archer in the group anymore so my arrow shootin' rules knowledge is pretty rusty.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Yeah. We use one minute rounds in 1e, 10 second rounds in B/X. However, actual time and ticks of the clock rarely enter into the game. Rather, we use the abstract segment/round/turn, and it is working fine. As it stands now, we hand wave it, people smile and roll their dice, and people are having a good time and keep coming back to play, so whatever we're doing must not be that bad.

However, if I got really concerned about ticks of the clock, I'd probably HR the melee round to 10 seconds for 1e. I mean, every once in a while, the simulationist in me pops it's head out of my chest and starts whispering in my ear about how everything should be broken down into segments. For example, why shouldn't you get (move rate)/10 inches of movement each segment? Then the part of my personality which is just there to have fun smacks the simulationist upside the head and says, "To francisca, D&D is a game with tactical elements, not a combat simulation." And then all is well again. :)

KaeYoss said:
Yes, we did. Man, that was one of the most ridiculous rules in there. It took 60 seconds to draw a sword. Heroes of legend indeed.
Yep. We HR it. Drawing a weapon penalizes initiative at my table.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
5 range increments for thrown weapons (dagger, javelin, monkey poop, etc.), but 10 range increments for projectile weapons (crossbow bolt, bow arrow, ICBM, etc.).

Staffan

Legend
Psychic Warrior said:
Doesn't the range increment penalty max out a 5 increments? I thought that was the rule? (but you are right it should, even by that, be 600') . We don't have an archer in the group anymore so my arrow shootin' rules knowledge is pretty rusty.
5 for thrown weapons, 10 for projectile weapons. So a dagger with a range increment of 10' can be thrown up to 50', while a longbow with a range increment of 100' can be shot up to 1000' (both subject to modification by feats and magic, of course)

Remove ads