• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combining 2 board games for epic gaming!

Drawback

First Post
I've got my friends to finally play Battlestar Galactica (BSG) and they're now officially hooked! Yay! My masterplan is coming near:

Combining 2 board games to create something really EPIC.

First, I'll have them learn Space Alert...

Then, one day, we'll play both game one after the other. Should their puny Space Alert ship survive, I'll tell them:

"You scans finally pay off, you get a dradis contact of the colonial fleet. You've joined them, +1 to your starting population and you may CHOOSE a character instead of drawing it randomly!" "Yay!" Screams the Baltar fan!

Anyone has other such ideas? I'm trying to combine Talisman 4e with another game... Maybe Dominion?

Anyone does that?

Wycen

Explorer
I have attempted to link games once, basically saying it was "in game" to a role playing session. But it didn't work and I never tried it again. The 3 Dragon Ante game is sort of like this, but usually it always boils down to being a divertion which is meaningless.

Actually, there is something that we've used, now that I'm thinking about it.

Hawke's Gambit. It is a dice game described in a Dark Sun novel and we've used it during DnD and Runequest to simulate gambling.

But none of these are really talking about your idea, which might be cool to try once.

Drawback

First Post
I'll also try Munckin Chtulhu with Arkham Horror... Different strokes in the "horror" genre but it's probably going to be funny.

The winner of the Munchkin game will get to choose his character, others will get it randomly...

Less EPIC than my first idea but funny.

frankthedm

First Post
Any thoughts on combining Space hulk and Doom?

Biggest worry is that the more open Doom tiles will allow the marine player too much shooting dominance

Marcon

First Post
Combining 2 board games to create something really EPIC.

The 2 best I can think of are Middle-Earth Quest and War of the Ring. The former takes place during the 17 years between The Hobbit and LotR and the latter is, of course, the books redux.

Depending on how well or how poorly Sauron gets closer to the ring in the Shire in the first game would give him advantages/disadvantages in the second one. WotR has plenty of simple ways to do this (Starts with less/more Event cards, some Free Peoples nation are already activated, etc.)

Players of both games should immediately see a lot of potential.

-Marcon

Badwe

First Post
From the moment i opened stronghold and read the rules i tried to imagine how i could graft D&D on top of it. really, i'd just like to play it once but it got the gears turning.

I've actually mused a fair deal about the idea of using some sort of point-buy wargame (ala warhammer or mageknight) in either an RPG-like way (leveling up becomes increasing your point cap, or possibly "unlocking" new units) or as a combat resolution mechanic in a grander scale wargame (think Risk and up).

Drawback

First Post
From the moment i opened stronghold and read the rules i tried to imagine how i could graft D&D on top of it.

1- Oh... Combining an RPG with some kind of board game could be fun! Dominion maybe? As a campaign starter, it could help create "political tension".
I'll think about it.

2- Hey, start a thread about your opinions on Stronghold. I keep being interested about this game. I'm just holding off on it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads