• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combust Spell ?

Starbuck_II

First Post
I would think that any round a person is on fire, it's reasonable to take a move action to put yourself out. That's it. No save.

Note that magic cloaks get far better saves than non-magic equipment.

Personally, I would change this to 1d6 instead of 1d8. Note that as a single target spell, it's still subject to the caps in the DMG, which I believe make it 10d6 (10d8 in the original) max damage.

But now you might as well use Scorchin Ray: a range touch that deals Max 12d6.

I believe they up'd danmage to account for melee touch is dangerous.

wyrmul

Explorer
So about the other point. Does anyone use the weight limitation to limit the spell, or is that part pretty much ignored? I know I've been ignoring it, as I'm not sure how to interpret it. For example, if Combust is aimed at a person and then merely catches that person's gear on fire (as is implied in the description) then the weight limit is really useless, because the gear itself probably weighs far under the limit. Why would you ever need to worry about a creature's weight? I guess maybe if it catches hair on fire. Hmm. Not really sure about it.

In almost all other cases (except where specifically stated in the spell description) the or separates two classes of target. One is the creature, the other is an object. Limits that apply to creatures will apply to creatures and limits that apply to objects tend to only apply to objects.

Kinda worried that if I play this out to the logical conclusion, I'm going to have the Combust spell destroying clothes & cloaks & other non-metal gear. The players are going to get pissed to see their almost-acquired magic items burn up. Maybe that's the point. Maybe that's the drawback for the spell being otherwise awesome.

Their magical gear will each get saving throws to avoid catching fire unless the spell specifically targets that magic item. And they have a pretty good change of beeting the DC15 needed to avoid catching fire.
Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save. Magic items use the same saving throw bonus for all saves, no matter what the type (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

insanogeddon

First Post

In all the groups I have played in I am considered the rorter/powergamer/borg 'always adapts' etc now I self police as no DM managed to limit me for any duration and all i really achieved was to limit my, the DMs, other players joy and campaign length, believability and breadth.

This spell screams sexy and attractive to me as the empire strikes back original reel wrapped with signed #1 original comics and Garys own original PHB .. all the uses of wit to mislead from 'its just fire' 'its just touch' 'its one opponent' 'its woc core' 'its in SC which balanced spells... look at quill blast' etc etc etc wont change that it does more than spells of higher level, Its low level so open to glorious meta magic, p.classES, race, region etc abuse, is outside per level damage limits etc etc etc

I used to hate that the most sensible and frankly best group I have yet to play with called both the Magic Item Compendium and Spells Compendium (once 2 of my favorite no-brainer tools of abuse) the S n M Creep books.

They had some vision I lacked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads