• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Come back to Calimport

MadLuke

First Post
AS. I don't know if this is the right thread to post my question, since it leave aside the edition or game system even.

Hi guys,
I have a small question about the Calimshan. Let's make me clarify before:

MY CHARACTER: lived all his youth in Suldolphor, a couple of years in Calimport (character background ends here), then the years after (when the campaign really began) in Waterdeep and the North.
ME: along the years, played a few campaigns the FR, always in the North (Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Silverymoon, Mirabar, Neverwinter and so on). Read "Gauntlgrym" Salvatore novel also.

The situation: my character is next to sail from Baldur's Gate to come back to Calimport, and in Suldolphor then after, perhaps. It's her home land... And I don't know nothing about it. :)
A few points:
- what could she wish to buy, carry on, provide its self before departure?
- what could she arrange once she will land?

I was thinking about find a rich merchant (or something that kind) to grant me social cover, and money help (a middle age fat fool rich man to make joke of him) to continue pursue my secret goals.

Oh, I almost forgot: she's the most charming Shar devoted bard has ever existed, and I'm close to get the Leadership feat.

Thank you in advance for your advices, and I apologize in advance also, for my poor english.

Bye, MadLuke.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Calimport is covered really well in its own 2E accessory called Calimport. It was released around the same time as the boxed set Lands of Intrigue which also covered Calimshan.

In relation to trade, you might want to have a look at the map on page 88 of the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: it shows the various imports and exports of various nations.

If your PC is a devotee of Shar, Calimport is one of her strongholds in the Realms. Her oldest - and possibly larged - temple is the Temple of Old Night beneath Calimport. The main mention of this is on page 141 of 2E's Faiths & Avatars which is also worth reading so that you have a better idea of Shar and her goals.

Beyond that, I think you really need to speak to your DM about your questions. Your DM will have a view of how his or her version of the Realms may run which is different to the source material. Check with your DM first.

Starfox

Hero
This is not about the OP's specific case, more a general ramble.

If you begin at level 1, how could your character have traveled from Calimport to Waterdeep without earing a single experience point? And actually that is pretty reasonable - travel gives new eperiences, and a young person that has done a lot of traveling (especially using medieval methods) has a wider perspective and more experiences to draw on than someone who started on the farm. Also, trying to make a party mesh with characters from all over the world is a bother - the wildly different backgrounds are likely to create clashes.

I often shake my head at the lineup of characters I see for campaigns. The game is set in a human quasi-medieval country, and the players are a half-demon, a drow, an ogre, and a goblin. How is this going to work out?

I tend to be rather restrictive with exotic characters, and this applies to humans of exotic ethnicities as much as it does to exotic races. One exotic character in a party can work, but more and it can lead to a game where no-one can relate to the situation at hand because no-one relates to the setting.

Remove ads