• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comedy and Humor in RPG Books

How much comedy could you stand in a 'serious' RPG book?

• A joke on every page!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Several jokes in every chapter

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • A few jokes

Votes: 34 50.0%
  • Only jokes in the fiction or examples

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • No more than a handful

Votes: 14 20.6%

MatrexsVigil

First Post
What are your opinions about the different levels of humor contained in RPG books? (From the endless comedy of HoL to the cut and dry explainations in the D&D Core Books...) What would you consider too much and why?

-P.C.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I enjoy it if it's not too corny. In fact, I was reading the Planes of Law supplement from the Planes of Law boxed set (Planescape) and there was a blurb in there like this:

"So, I painted his head a little out of proportion. What are you gonna do, kill me" - Antonius Dizzerly, famed painter just before he was executed.

What's funny is that the comment is in reference to Tony Diterlizzi "famed painter" for all the art in the Planescape books. I got a chuckle from that.

Crothian

First Post
I perfer it when it firts like the Planescape stuff. They have so e very funny blurbs in there. It really depends on the suppliment. Some need a serious tone while others can enjoy being a little light hearted.

CombatWombat51

First Post
I still laugh when someone talks about an unidentified wand being a +3 backscratcher or a fighter jumping into the arms of a wizard at the sight of a rust monster. :)

As long as the humor is kept to sidebars/comics or is a part of flavor text that's relevant, it's a good thing.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
I tend to take humor too seriously. That is, sometimes, I'm a little obsessed with what is funny, when, and why. And in being so, I tend to suck the funny out of things sometimes. Which in itself is rather interesting when you think about it... Or, at least, when I think about it.

That being said I would suggest that humor, when used carefully, can be a great way to get your point across.

Let's take that aforementioned Planescape quote. In my experience, Planescape as a setting is rather, well, brutal. And Crothian's quote is very representative of that fact. While it is funny, it's also telling you, "In this place, you can die over the slightest thing, so watch you step pal."

HoL is a whole other story. (hahaha hehehe) I have a signed copy of HoL, I love that book, we actually played it once. But the point of it was ONLY to be funny (Do you want a cookie? I baked them myself.) and anything that could be used to actually PLAY something that resembled an RPG was a happy accident.

Even if you're trying to produce something like Toon, GURPS I.O.U., The Malkavian Clanbook, or the Principia Discordia (!fnord!) you're not going to want to reach for the same level of sheer wackiness-per-word count of HoL. Because, presumably, you want to produce something that can actually be used for more then one session. (See? I didn't forget about Paranoia. :D )

Two of my favorite examples of humor used well in a book that isn't especially supposed to be humorous are in White Wolf's "Laws of the Wyld", which is the book of rules for Werewolf LARPing. The back of the book starts of with "Take back the night! And the afternoon, and midmorning..." It was something of an unexpected departure from how they normally presented their books (in the text on the back) that it not only made you laugh, but it made you sit up a bit and take notice. Again, it sent a message, "Playing Werewolf can be different from playing a Vampire, so throw everything you thought this book was going to be out the window... Of course, it was actually a whole lot of more of the same, but I still like W:TA better then V:TM.

Inside that book, one of the disads was "Extreme Hatred" and the example they gave for this was, "AAAARRRG!!! I HATE EARTH TONES!"

Again, very funny, and again, it shows something important about that game mechanic. The thing you hate, can be the smallest little thing, but your reaction to it must always be huge. (No matter how incidental it may seem when it comes up.)

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
In general, I prefer the cut-and-dried method. A few jokes or humorous bits in the examples are OK, or in little ficlets in sidebars. That way if they're really not funny, which is usually the case, I can ignore them.

Now, I do like single-panel cartoons like the original DMG had, or a single page of humor like some editions of Call of Cthulhu.

Wombat

First Post
My feeling is this

I have a 45+ hour a week job

Life is serious

Games are not ;)

I can handle a few jokes (even more-than-a-few) in my books, and gladly so.

Remove ads