• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Command word a free action??

Dristram

First Post
I'm at work so I can't reference my rule books.

First, isn't activating a magic item something like a standard action? Even if it's activated by a command word? Since a command word is considered "speech", and speaking is a free action, how come activating a magic item (like flaming for a sword) isn't a free action? Or is it?

tanx,

Dristram

First Post
Ah, you know...I think I get it now. The saying the command word isn't a standard action. It's free. But it takes a standard action for the item to activate.

Sound right?

Thanks!

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Activating a command-word item is a standard action. Seethis page.

In rules terms, this is a balance concern. If speaking a command word were a free action, you could activate any number of magic items in a given round. Command-based items would be far more useful than other item types, and their market price would need to be higher.

If you want an in-game explanation, then activating a magic item requires more than just speaking the sounds. You must also will the item to activate, which takes a few seconds to do. (This would also be why a Magic Mouth cannot activate items with a command word, and also why you can't extinguish your enemy's flaming sword just by repeating his command.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads