• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

command ... you make the call

baradtgnome

First Post
So I'm sure this has been discussed over and over... but I must have missed it. :rolleyes: Help me stretch this spell with some new ways to use it for my group.

You are the DM. A human cleric is facing an opponent with a sword in one hand (try this exercise again with sword & shield; two handed sword). the cleric casts her command spell from 10' away (to avoid an AoO).

"The character gives the subject a one-word command, which the subject obeys to the best of his or her ability. A very reasonable command causes the subject to suffer a penalty on the saving throw (from –1 to –4, at the DM’s discretion). A command of “Die” causes the subject to fake death. A command of "Suicide" fails because "suicide" is generally used as a noun, not as a command."

What happens if she used the following words:

Sheath: would the opponent sheath the sword, or is sheath too much of a noun and be ignored?

Clap: would the opponent drop the sword to clap his hands

Release: would the opponent release the sword, or simply release the pent up gas through a body oriface; or soil himself

Drink: would the opponent stop and pull out something to drink? Water, a potion, perhaps all he is carrying is poison? If they were holding a 2 handed weapon would they drop it to be able to get the drink?

Catch: could you throw something and have them drop what they are holding to catch it.

You get the idea. words that could get an opponent to drop their weapon, make them easier to hit, create AoOs etc.

Like to have your input on these, and what you find is effective.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
baradtgnome said:
disrobe. Ah, yes of course. Do you use this selectively or do you have a strong stomach? :D

Well generally it's a well-armored individual that is the subject of this command, and they don't nearly make it to fully disrobing. But the look on a platemailed Knights face when he snaps out of a Command with his weapons on the ground, along with his gauntlets and boots, and part of his breastplate in his hand, is priceless.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Mistwell said:

Well generally it's a well-armored individual that is the subject of this command, and they don't nearly make it to fully disrobing. But the look on a platemailed Knights face when he snaps out of a Command with his weapons on the ground, along with his gauntlets and boots, and part of his breastplate in his hand, is priceless.

The command only lasts one round. I find it difficult to believe you could remove your guantlets, boots, and part of your breastplate in six seconds.

This would be pretty good for greater command though...

Sheath: would the opponent sheath the sword, or is sheath too much of a noun and be ignored?

The verb is sheathe, and it should work.

]Clap: would the opponent drop the sword to clap his hands

Yup.

Release: would the opponent release the sword, or simply release the pent up gas through a body oriface; or soil himself

He might release his rage. Better used on a villain grappling your friend.

Drink: would the opponent stop and pull out something to drink? Water, a potion, perhaps all he is carrying is poison? If they were holding a 2 handed weapon would they drop it to be able to get the drink?

I don't think he'd drink poison, but you never know. If the only liquid around is leech infested sewage... that's just nasty.

Catch: could you throw something and have them drop what they are holding to catch it.

Geoff Watson

First Post
"Autodefenestrate" is great, if the target knows what it means.

"Run", "Dive", "Surrender", "Charge" (on mages or archers); are other good choices.

Geoff.

Destil

Explorer
IMC I've always allowed a small amount of body languagd to influance the effects of this spell (by the letter of the rules it's a bit much, but it dosn't bother me too much), generaly pointing. Some of the better uses I've seen:

Close *points to his eyes* - Great for cleric / rogues (either multi-class or working togeather).

Dive *Points off a cliff or to a body of deep water*

Give *point to any single peice of gear they have and hold out your hand*

Attack *point to one of their allies*

Catch... I don't think anyone's ever thought about that one... Would be great to hurl a javlin or something at them with haste. Likewise throw a Rock as far away as you can and ask them to 'fetch'.

Ferret

Explorer
Apologize, Great for evil characters to use on a paladin "I am sorry, I shall not hurt you again."
Convert, use this on a cleric and your set.
Masticate, bite there own tongue.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Mistwell said:
"Disrobe" is my favorite.

Masturbate also works. :eek:

Against mixed-gender groups of enemies, Fornicate causes some problems, as it *will* cause the subject to immediately grapple the nearest preferred-gender target and attempt to couple (forcibly if neccessary; the Command spell isn't nice about that sort of thing ...). Especially nasty if multiple clerics can cast this on multiple opponents (combines a command to grapple with a command to disrobe, heh).

Dance is useful, but not always guaranteed to be effective.

Swim can be amusing, especially when fighting a naval battle atop the decks of a ship or three. In shark-infested waters, preferably.

I do believe Catch is one of the most creative uses of command I have seen in recent years, however.

Anyone holding a flask of Alchemist's Fire would be (should be) terrified of Command: BURN!.

Sing can prevent spellcasting that requires Verbal components, thoughif your target turns out to be a bard ... oops!

Attack can help void an enemy cleric's Sanctuary spell, if the caster is the only PC to have made his Will save.

Remove ads