• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commander’s Strike (Warlord)

TheGogmagog

First Post
Commander’s Strike (Warlord)

Commander's Strike said:
Attack: An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack against the target
Hit: Ally’s basic attack damage + your Intelligence modifier.
Melee Basic Attack said:
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
So the Warlord (Int+2) orders the 1st level Fighter to attack. The fighter's basic Attack is normally +6 (str and weapon prof) vs AC and damage 1d10+4 (str and weapon focus).
With the Commander's strike he is still +6 vs AC, and does 1d10+6?

LostSoul

Adventurer
If somehow a Rogue hasn't used his Sneak Attack for the round - say he was the first to get to the enemy, and you were the one to provide flanking - you can have him attack and deal 1[W] + Str mod + Sneak Attack damage + your Int mod.

At least I think that's right! ;)

Only good for Brutal Scoundrels, though, since a basic attack is Str, not Dex, vs AC.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Surgoshan said:
Even at first level, sneak attack damage would make a basic attack worthwhile even for an artful dodger.

Ah, I had that situation come up.

I was playing a Warlord, and I generally followed the Paladin around the battlefield. He provided me with "cover" because of his Mark, and I gave him lots of encouraging words and coaching advice. (It was fun from a role-playing perspective, as well as a tactical one.)

Most of the time I used Commanding Strike on him. One time the Rogue was in position for a Sneak Attack, but since the Rogue had only a +4 to hit with flanking and did 1d6-1 damage, I decided to let the Paladin attack.

I wonder if it was worth it. +4 vs 15, 3d6+2 dmg vs. +9 vs 15, 1d8+7 dmg. Yeah, I think I made the right choice.

darkInertia

First Post
LostSoul said:
I wonder if it was worth it. +4 vs 15, 3d6+2 dmg vs. +9 vs 15, 1d8+7 dmg. Yeah, I think I made the right choice.

Damage:
3d6+2: 3.5 * 3 + 2 = 12.5 average, 20 max
1d8+7: 4.5 + 7 = 11.5, 15 max

Chance to hit:
+4 vs 15: 11 or higher will hit, 20 will crit (45% chance to hit, 5% crit chance)
+9 vs 15: 6 or higher will hit, 20 will crit (70% chance to hit, 5% crit chance)

0.45 * 12.5 + 0.05 * 20 = 6.625
0.70 * 11.5 + 0.05 * 15 = 8.8

**Question about Commander's Strike**

If the warlord has a +1 weapon, but the ally doesn't have a magical weapon, does the ally get to add +1 to attack and damage?

If the warlord and ally both have magical weapons, do they stack? Or do you use the higher of the two?

If the warlord and ally both have magical weapons, do you always use the ally's weapon magical properties (such as frost or flaming) even if the warlord's weapon enhancement bonus is higher than the ally's weapon's bonus?

nute

Explorer
darkInertia said:
**Question about Commander's Strike**

If the warlord has a +1 weapon, but the ally doesn't have a magical weapon, does the ally get to add +1 to attack and damage?

If the warlord and ally both have magical weapons, do they stack? Or do you use the higher of the two?

If the warlord and ally both have magical weapons, do you always use the ally's weapon magical properties (such as frost or flaming) even if the warlord's weapon enhancement bonus is higher than the ally's weapon's bonus?

Only the guy doing the attacking - he is making the attack, his weapon, his bonuses, etc. The reason he gets the Warlord's INT bonus is because the warlord is guiding his attack.

darkInertia

First Post
nute said:
Only the guy doing the attacking - he is making the attack, his weapon, his bonuses, etc. The reason he gets the Warlord's INT bonus is because the warlord is guiding his attack.

My confusion comes up because of the "Weapon" in the keyword line of the power. We know from the power description of melee basic attack that the ally gains his weapon's bonuses. But the effect of the commander's strike is to allow the ally to make a melee basic attack, so why would the warlord's weapon have any effect?

It would be more clear if Weapon was removed from the keyword line of the power, as well as a few other things:

Commander's Strike
At Will - Martial
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Effect: An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack against the target. If she hits, she gains a bonus to her damage roll equal to your Intelligence modifier.

I'm assuming that if you are using a reach weapon, you can use commander's strike on an enemy within 2 squares of you. If instead you are limited to only adjacent enemies, the range should be changed to Close burst 1 and the target: one creature in burst

Remove ads