• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commander's Strike clarified: Ask Wizards

garyh

First Post
I don't get it either... why not just hit the damn thing yourself.
I fail to see the point. I'd understand if this was a minor action, where in effect the warlord was using a minor action to get an extra hit through someone else, but as his standard action.... i don't understand the point.

Granted, I havent devoted the time to really study the class all that well...

Well, in my group, my tiefling tactical warlord (16 str, 18 int, longsword) uses Commander's Strike a lot with the dragonborn fighter (18 str, battle axe). That turns my standard action from:

+6 vs AC, 1d8+3

...to...

+8 vs AC, 1d10+8, with a mark

Seems like a great deal to me. Our rogue is an artful dodger, but if they were a brutal scoundrel (thus having a better Str and better basic melee attack), it'd be very useful to get another sneak attack chance in if she missed on her turn.

EDITED TO ADD that the reason I'm using a longsword and shield instead of a reach weapon is that, as much as you might like, you can't always count on being two squares away from an enemy. Plus, you need to be next to the enemy to set up a flank. At that point, you want a shield, not reach.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I don't get it either... why not just hit the damn thing yourself.

The Fighter or Paladin has a better chance to hit and deals more damage.
You move into a flanking position with the Rogue (who has already attacked, but hasn't used Sneak Attack).
Someone else has a weapon that deals damage the target is vulnerable to.

Plus, you add your Int mod to their damage.

Lord Nat

First Post
So, out of curiosity, what would be the point of this power for a Warlord who isn't using a reach weapon? It seems like the other At-Wills are a lot more useful than this if the Warlord himself is in melee range of the target.

I think the real point of it is that you want to retrain into it in later levels.

I can see a lot o use once your fighter can use his at-wills in place of his basic attack and stuff like that.

before level 11 tho it is just kind of lame unless you use some kind of reach but then it is still kind of bad.

Letting your allies use an extra at-will later on tho is kick ass.

Shabe

First Post
Yeah our str 16 half elf warlord uses it on the str 18 dragonborn which gives bonus to hit and damage above his other at will. He uses a glaive to trigger it too, plus his rolls defy the law of averages by being truely awful so getting someone else to roll is too good an opportunity to pass up.

James McMurray

First Post
Assuming you and the other guy have the same stats, Commander's Strike is more damage (probably +3 or 4 at first level). When the other guy has better stats (for instance, he's a Strength race and you're not) it gets even better. If the other guy is a warforged with +11 to hit and 1d8+13 damage on his basic attacks at 2nd level, it's a no-brainer.

It's gotten to the point where I rarely use an attack myself with my warlord. The fighter (and sometimes rogue) are almost certain to hit easier and do more damage. I attack when we need Wolf Pack Tactics, or when nobody else is around. Other than that, it's "hey big robot guy. Knock 'em down."

Unless your GM allows Genasi, you can't max both Strength and Int. Commander's Strike takes some of the bite out of choosing Str 16 and Int 18. Even if he does allow Genasi, it's likely that the fighter in the party will be doing the same or more damage. And it's almost certain he'll be doing more damage if he also gets to add your Intelligence to damage.

Larry Hunsaker

First Post
So what happens if my warlord uses this to have a ranger twin strike the target? Does the + INT bonus to damage apply to each attack of the ranger or just to his first hit?

FireLance

Legend
EDITED TO ADD that the reason I'm using a longsword and shield instead of a reach weapon is that, as much as you might like, you can't always count on being two squares away from an enemy. Plus, you need to be next to the enemy to set up a flank. At that point, you want a shield, not reach.
Agree on the shield, but a reach weapon no longer only attacks two squares away. All reach weapons can now attack one or two squares away, like spiked chains in 3e.

Remove ads