• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Commanding Strike

Neoclast

First Post
First off I am at work, but I think I got the name right for the First Level Warlord At-Will power of Commanding Strike. Where you can use a standard action and give an ally of your choice an a basic melee attack.

Unlike almost every other power, this one does not seem to give the the specifics of how it works. My Question is, do I need to be beside the target, engaged with the target, or what? I mean can I shout out to give my ally who is a couple squares away engaged with a different monster the extra attack? Or is this just for someone who is also engaged with my target. It just seemed too vague for me.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you may be able to add.

Obryn

Hero
It's a little perplexing at first. :)

Basically, you and your ally both have to be within melee weapon range of the target you're having your ally attack.

-O

i've always understood the power to be a quick exhortation of some sort, paired with a bit of tactical advice. maybe your warlord tells the fighter, "that was a good attack--but this time, try following through more" or tells the rogue, "great use of sly flourish--try another shot, but this time, don't forget your sneak attack damage!"

ed

mneme

Explorer
Well, it's "melee" range, and the target is the enemy, so you have to be within melee range of the target creature.

Now, your ally can be any ally--but they can't make melee basic attacks on creatures they aren't in range of (see the "melee basic attack" power) so clearly they have to be within range too.

On a flavor level, it -could- be you shouting out orders, but that doesn't jibe with the "melee" range. So it makes more sense as making an attack that rather than doing damage, binds the opponent's blade or otherwise gives an ally an opening for a melee attack; unlike Hammer and Anvil, this one is automatic, though. This power alone, btw, is the primary reason that warlords (or at least Int-based warlords) do much better with reach weapons, as they can call for Commander's Strikes on characters they aren't even adjacent to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads