• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comment on these feats

Steven

First Post
Please comment on these feats, more specifically what is wrong with them, and what you think should be done to fix them(if they can be fixed).

Positive Weapon Infusion

Pre-Requisite: Channeling Positive Energy Feat, Religion 3 ranks, Ability to Cast 2nd level Divine Spells, Ability to turn undead

Benefit: This changes the damage dealt by the weapon that has been Infused into a temporary conduit for the holy energies of the Positive Material Plane causing the weapon to do Holy Damage for 1 round. Each use of this ability uses 1 of the daily uses of turning undead available to the user.

Weapon Attunement (General/Fighter)

Pre-Requisite: BAB+3, Concentration 3 ranks, Base Will Power Save +2

Benefit: By taking 1 hour and meditating with a weapon that you are proficient in and succeeding at a Concentration check DC 15 at the end of the hour long period you can attune yourself to the weapon. This provides either a +1 to hit or damage for the next 24 hours that must be chosen before the 1 hour meditation begins. Failing the Concentration Check means that you cannot use this feat again for 24 hours. This bonus stacks with any existing bonus. You may take this feat multiple times each time it applies to a different weapon.

Surmise Battle

Prerequisite: Dexterity 13+, Wisdom 12+

Benefit: By using a free action every round and judging the actions of opponents for the their next round action you may add +2 to your initiative every other round. To use this feat you have to declare that it will be used in a given round as this is assumed to be your free action for the round.

Expert Flanker

Prerequisite: 12+ Int

Benefit: You are a learned Flanker. Anytime you are involved in a flanking situation with either a melee weapon or a missile weapon (if withing 30’) you may increase your flanking attack modifier by +2.

Special: Must have flanked at least a dozen separate opponents and scored a successful attack roll that dealt damage to each of them.

Chaotic Spell (Metamagic)

Prerequisite: Chaotic Alignment, ability to cast 4th level or higher spells.

Benefit: When memorizing spells you may choose any one spell to be memorized as a chaotic spell. A chaotic spell has a 50% to have the maximum affect (max damage) if there is a damaging roll (save allowed) or the DC of the spell increased by +3. This feat may be taken multiple times and each time it allows the user to memorize an additional Chaotic Spell (if you have taken this feat 2 times you may choose to memorize 2 chaotic spells from the list of spells you may memorize). There is a 50% that casting a Chaotic Spell will have the minimum result, or in the case of non-damaging spells the DC could be lowered by 3. Memorizing a Chaotic Spell takes up the normal spell level slot.

Special: If the character ever changes to a non-chaotic alignment he instantly looses the benefit of this spell until his alignment reverts to chaotic.

Last edited:

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Expert Flanker doesn't need the Special prerequisite, since it's something that can be covered in training. Otherwise, it's a good and useful feat, something that Dual Strike never managed.

Is Surmise Battle really worth a feat slot? Initiative really only matters in the first round, for getting flat-footed Sneak Attacks.

Chaotic Spell seems like it'd be a bit of a hassle, though it makes sense as a prerequisite for a Wild Mage kind of PrC.

tleilaxu

First Post
Hey, Steve

This is John.

The rules forum is mostly for clarifications, etc, such as "Do I get a Spellcraft check on Illusion spells before or after making my will save?"

House Rules is for custom feats, PrC's and the like.

Be sure to check out the www.enworld.org front page and the Reviews! Those are two of the best parts of the site.

A Mod may come by and slide this over to the correct forum so don't be surprised if it disappears from Rules.

As far as forums in general go, the Rules and House Rules forums are definitely most on topic as far as discussion of crunch. General Discussion has more general type threads as well as silliness. Story Hour is interesting because it is made up of campaign journals from various aspiring writers. If you wanna see high level 3e stuff check out the Wyre thread and Piratecat's storyhours. I've been following those for more than a year.

Have fun and welcome to the biggest and best 3e site on the net!

edit: if this does get slid over to House Rules you will definitely get more replies

Last edited:

Bauglir

First Post
Couple of rules comments:

Surmise battle - "as this is assumed to be your free action for the round"

You can take as many free actions each round as you like. You aren't limited to 1. Generally speaking people will limit this to 1 per type, although afaik this isn't properly covered in the rules.
(So for example you could take a 5' step, cast a quickened spell, then quickdraw a weapon all in one round, but you couldn't do any one of those things more than once)

Expert Flanker -"Anytime you are involved in a flanking situation with either a melee weapon or a missile weapon (if withing 30’)"

You can't flank with a missile weapon.

Chaotic spell - Think about rewording this - I have no idea what it means. Do I:

a) roll a single % check - if <50% do minimum damage, if >50% do maximum damage.

b) roll 2 % checks; first to see if it does max damage, then to see if it does min damage. If it fails both then roll damage normally.

Finally think about removing the limitation to 1 spell each time you take the feat. It's too restrictive. If you find this to be overpowering then consider bumping up the spell level.

Steven

First Post
Didn't realize

I didn't realize that I put them in the wrong place. I will change a few things and then put them in the correct place. Thanks....

Darklone

No worries and come back later, usually we're a nice bunch... if you ignore the right people and listen to the other ones :D

Hey, stop ignoring me!

BelgarathTAO

First Post
Steven said:
Please comment on these feats, more specifically what is wrong with them, and what you think should be done to fix them(if they can be fixed).

Weapon Attunement (General/Fighter)

Pre-Requisite: BAB+3, Concentration 3 ranks, Base Will Power Save +2

Benefit: By taking 1 hour and meditating with a weapon that you are proficient in and succeeding at a Concentration check DC 15 at the end of the hour long period you can attune yourself to the weapon. This provides either a +1 to hit or damage for the next 24 hours that must be chosen before the 1 hour meditation begins. Failing the Concentration Check means that you cannot use this feat again for 24 hours. This bonus stacks with any existing bonus. You may take this feat multiple times each time it applies to a different weapon.

Surmise Battle

Prerequisite: Dexterity 13+, Wisdom 12+

Benefit: By using a free action every round and judging the actions of opponents for the their next round action you may add +2 to your initiative every other round. To use this feat you have to declare that it will be used in a given round as this is assumed to be your free action for the round.

I like both of these feats. As far as initiative only mattering in the first round, using this you could move yourself around to be able to make two actions in a row against an opponant before they can react to you. Could be very handy...

Belgarath the Ancient One

Remove ads