• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comment on these rules

PosterX

First Post
Instead of adding your STR bonus to your to-hit roll you add your DEX bonus. STR still applies to the damage roll. So basically it's like having weapon finesse for every weapon (and making that feat useless).

Add your STR bonus to the max DEX bonus of the armor you're wearing. A STR penalty does reduce the max DEX bonus but not below 0.

This way STR and DEX both affect offense and defense instead of STR being the attack stat and DEX being the defense stat.

Bean 2.0

First Post
part of max dex isn't just the weight of the armor
any armor with plating will resrict movement by simply not bending like that full plate for instance you have to bring your arms up in frontof you.
the shoulder pads prevent you from flipping your arms straight up from the sides

PosterX

First Post
Bean 2.0 said:
part of max dex isn't just the weight of the armor
any armor with plating will resrict movement by simply not bending like that full plate for instance you have to bring your arms up in frontof you.
the shoulder pads prevent you from flipping your arms straight up from the sides

You're correct and I did consider that but the design goal of these rules was to make STR and DEX complementary in combat instead of having separate roles so I disregarded this.

PosterX

First Post
Sagan Darkside said:
Dex does a lot in d&d already- giving it more of an edge seems like it may be a mistake to me.

SD

I can't sit here and think of all that DEX does but the points I were considering related to combat.

STR bonus adds to both attack and damage roles. DEX applies to AC. However, STR has no limiting factor (that I can recall) so you can always add your full STR bonus. DEX is limited by the max DEX bonus of your armor. I know there are all sorts of rings, cloaks, and bracers that give you armor without armor you can wear so maybe in standard D&D these rules would give DEX too much of an edge.

Sagan Darkside

First Post
PosterX said:

I can't sit here and think of all that DEX does but the points I were considering related to combat.

STR bonus adds to both attack and damage roles. DEX applies to AC.

It may just be my own groups desire to play dex-based characters that found my opinions.

Dex adds to AC.
Dex adds to range combat.
Dex adds to reflex saves.
Dex adds to attack rolls. (with a feat)
Dex adds to skills often used in battles: tumble and balance

Str adds to attack rolls.
Str adds to damage rolls.

It would be nice to see Str do more, but that is not the case at the moment.

Perhaps your group plays more armor/strength oriented characters, then these changes may work for your group.

I would just see even more points spent in dex then I do now.

Good luck
SD

Asathas

First Post
Strength does do more...

Encumbrance
Grapple Checks
Bull Rush
A number of useful skills including Jump, Climb, and Swim (let's see that swim check armor-boy)
Strength checks (bend bars and such)

Dex does a lot but strength does just as much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads