• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comment on Warlock?

Belbarid

First Post
I was playing around with building a warlock to introduce as an NPC in the game I run. I'd appreciate any comments or advice anyone here has.

I use the Heroic Paths from Midnight, and although most NPCs don't get a path, this one did. If you're not familiar, the pertinent info on this one (Pureblood) is that he gets 2 bonus feats and a stat bump. Stats were generated using 4d6, rolled 6 times. Also worth pointing out that I run a very, very low magic-item campaign.

Anyway, here's what I'm working with:

Valinor
Warlock9/Monk1
Race: Elf
Speed:
HP: 65
Init: +5
AC: 21 (+5 Dex, +6 armor)
Str: 12
Dex: 20
Con:14
Int:16
Wis:14
Cha:16

Fort:7 Ref:10 Will:10
BAB: +6

Warlock Abilities: Eldritch Blast 5d6, Detect Magic, DR 7/Cold Iron, Deceive Item, Fiendish Resilience 1

Monk Abilities: Weapon Finesse, Unarmed Strike, Flurry of Blows

Feats: Extra Invocation (x2), Clever Fighting, Fey Heritage, Fey Skin, Fey Presence (Charm Monster, Deep Slumber, Disguise Self), Fey Legacy (Confusion, Dimension Door, Summon Nature's Ally V), Maximize Eldritch Blast

Flaws: Murky Eyed, Inattentive

Path Abilities: Master Adventurer +4, Blood of Kings +4, Bonus Feat x2, Ability Increase, Skill Mastery x2

Attack:
Unarmed +11 d6+5
+5d6 with Hideous Blow, Fort DC17 or Blind for 1 round
Eldritch Blast +11 5d6
Fort DC17 or Blind for 1 round
Eldritch Glaive +11 5d6
Fort DC17 or Blind for 1 round, full round attack

Invocations:
Eldritch Glaive
Hideous Blow
Beguiling Influence
See The Unseen

Flee The Scene
Beshadowed Blast
Charm

Magic Items:
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture
Mithril Chain Shirt +2

irdeggman

First Post
I tried to type this last night but my reply got wiped out by a board misfire.

I don’t think your numbers add up correctly.

I am not sure what level the bonus feats are gained from the Heroic path, but if they are not granted at 6th level and higher then you don’t meet the required level perquisites to gain all of the feats you have.

An elf warlock/monk has the following feat progression:

1st level – 1 feat (you gain 2 more feats from your flaws) – total of 3 feats at 1st level.
3rd level – 1 feat
6th level – 1 feat
9th level – 1 feat

Heroic path – 2 bonus feats (at what level is unknown)

A monk gets a bonus feat at 1st level – but this must be wither stunning fist or improved grapple, not any feat. I didn’t see either one listed. Monk’s also don’t get weapon finesse as a class ability.

Total feats: 9 (one of which must be either stunning fist or improved grapple)

Feats listed as taken:

Extra Invocation (x2) {Prerequisite is to be able to use lesser invocations, so 6th level warlock}
Clever Fighting {Not certain what this feat does or it’s source so I don’t know its prerequisites}
Fey Heritage
Fey Skin
Fey Presence (Charm Monster, Deep Slumber, Disguise Self), {6th level}
Fey Legacy (Confusion, Dimension Door, Summon Nature's Ally V), {9th level}
Maximize Eldritch Blast {6th level warlock}

4 feats must be taken at 6th level or later
1 feat must be taken at 9th level

Unless the bonus feats from the heroic path are granted at or after 6th level then you are ineligible for some of the feats you’ve chosen.

{Really should take fey power for the +1 CL and saving throw DCs for enchantment spells and warlock invocations. It is a much better feat to have than an extra invocation at low levels}

Number of invocations known:
5 least (2 from extra invocation feats)
2 least

Total of 7 invocations

Invocations:
Eldritch Glaive {least}
Hideous Blow {least}
Beguiling Influence {least}
See The Unseen {least}

Flee The Scene {lesser}
Beshadowed Blast {lesser}
Charm {lesser}

So you have 1 more lesser invocation than is allowed. Extra Invocation allows taking an extra invocation of 1 level lower than you can use. A 9th level warlock can only use lesser and least invocations so you can only take least ones with the feat.

DR is incorrect. You get DR 2/ Cold Iron from warlock class and another 4 from your fey feats (1 + number of fey feats with fey heritage as a prerequisite, basically number of fey feats total – only 4 there).

DR should be 6/Cold Iron

The only way to get to a +11 unarmed strike bonus is to have the weapon finesse feat, but monks don’t get that as a class ability.

I am not certain why you would take a single level of monk. In fact monk and warlock do not stack particularly well due to MAD and the fact that a monk is primarily melee and a warlock is primarily ranged – also the eldritch glaive won’t count as a special monk weapon so you don’t get to use it with the flurry of blows.

Combining Hideous Blow and unarmed strike is not necessarily a great thing since you must now make a normal melee attack instead of a touch attack. You can’t combine this with a flurry of blows since it is a standard action to use a spell-like ability and it requires a full attack action to use the flurry of blows.

irdeggman

First Post
Oops I missed something.

You can't combine monk and warlock (with fey heritage).

Monks are required to be lawful

Fey heritage requires chaotic.

Warlocks must be either evil or chaotic in alignment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads