• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Common Magic Item Prices?

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Okay, probably a dumb question, but how much would scrolls and potions - from common spells - cost? I see the item creation cost for them, but I don't see anywhere a price list. Yeah, probably overlooking it but....

Scorpio616

First Post
I'd go with a minimum of double creation cost, then another +10% to +40% on top. If it was 100gp to make, 220 gp to 280 gp for sale. All negotiable of course.

Quickleaf

Legend
Okay, probably a dumb question, but how much would scrolls and potions - from common spells - cost? I see the item creation cost for them, but I don't see anywhere a price list. Yeah, probably overlooking it but....

The section on Spellcasting Services is in the back of the Equipment section (I quoted it below). According to that, 10 to 50 gp is an appropriate price for low level (1st-2nd level) spells. If a scroll or potion emulates a 1st-2nd level spell, then these guidelines seem like they could work.

I suspect they didn't include a cost table because the intention is for the availability of common magic items to be determined by the DM as suits the campaign setting. IOW they didn't want players to assume such things would be available.

People who are able to cast spells don’t fall into the category of ordinary hirelings. It might be possible to find someone willing to cast a spell in exchange for coin or favors, but it is rarely easy and no established pay rates exist. As a rule, the higher the level of the desired spell, the harder it is to find someone who can cast it and the more it costs.

Hiring someone to cast a relatively common spell of 1st or 2nd level, such as cure wounds or identify, is easy enough in a city or town, and might cost 10 to 50 gold pieces (plus the cost of any expensive material components). Finding someone able and willing to cast a higher-level spell might involve traveling to a large city, perhaps one with a university or prominent temple. Once found, the spellcaster might ask for a service instead of payment—the kind of service that only adventurers can provide, such as retrieving a rare item from a dangerous locale or traversing a monster- infested wilderness to deliver something important to a distant settlement.

Fralex

Explorer
Well, in the Salable Magic Items table on the next page, the base prices for each rarity are the same as the creation costs. I never realized you don't cut the cost in half when you craft a magic item like you do with a mundane one. How the heck do people who sell potions of healing make a profit? You can buy them for half their value! This is one of the reasons I made my own table based off that one. It's especially useful for determining the price of a scroll based on its level.
Spell Level
Base Price in gp
Rarety
Common
Common
Uncommon
Uncommon
Rare
Rare
16, 000
Very Rare
50, 000
Very Rare
160, 000
Very Rare
500, 000
Legendary

Inchoroi

Adventurer
For my game, potions are half their normal value, and scrolls and the regular magic ammunition is 3/4 the base cost, for both the purposes of crafting and purchasing.

Remove ads