• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Commune with Nature

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Greetings all.

Reading with some attention the spell description, I noticed that the caster can gain knowledge of (quoting):

• terrain and bodies of water
  • prevalent plants, minerals, animals, or peoples
  • powerful celestials, fey, fiends, elementals, or undead
  • influence from other planes of existence
  • buildings

Would this mean that, for example, (s)he wouldn't gain any insight about dragons?

aramis erak

Legend
Greetings all.

Reading with some attention the spell description, I noticed that the caster can gain knowledge of (quoting):

Would this mean that, for example, (s)he wouldn't gain any insight about dragons?

Read the sections in the MM about dragons' regional effects... many would be obvious.

Raging thunderstorms? (Blue Dragon) ... that creates shallow bodies of water...
Greens create an absence of large game, and a circular thicket...

and so on. Plenty of clues, just not a single reveal.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Read the sections in the MM about dragons' regional effects... many would be obvious.

Duh! :eek:

Thank you.

MasterTrancer

Explorer

Ok, sorry to come back to this thread so late, but I wanted to check before.

What you described as Regional Effects have an onset, which is the actual installing of the dragon in it's own lair, if I am correct.

Let me picture a nature guardian (either a 9th level Druid, or even bettera 17th level Ranger) that routinely checks for intrusions in the domain he cares for; he can get a glimpse of newcomers, be them undeads or planars, or even planar influences. But he can't know if a dragon is building his lair, as far as I can get reading the spell description, right?

Grainger

Explorer
Well, I suppose Aragorn had to pound the ground to know what was happening in the area he protected. He didn't just sit in the pub in Bree and "commune with nature". Although he might have done a fair bit of that, I don't know.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Well, I suppose Aragorn had to pound the ground to know what was happening in the area he protected. He didn't just sit in the pub in Bree and "commune with nature". Although he might have done a fair bit of that, I don't know.

Sure. But that holds true for the other types as well.

Note: I'm not criticizing the spell, nor the rules, as I've seen many do. I just wanted to be sure I'm reading correctly the spell (like, someone could have said "no, dragons actually are detected as fey").

Cernor

Explorer
Dragons are animals... Enormous, magically enhanced animals, but they're still lizards (according to the MM). If one were to move into an area and start building its lair it would become the apex predator of the region and modify the ecosystem, so I'd think it would be a "prevalent animal".

Remove ads