• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Company of the Random Encounter ('complete' 14 Nov 2004)

Capellan

Explorer
I only 'officially' ended the game the same day I posted here, but the last time we played was back in June or July. We'd only played about 4 or 5 times in the last year, I'd say.

In terms of sessions, there were actually quite a few left, after the ones I've posted. I've managed to dig up the notes I had for three of those, plus I think I have the actual module notes for a couple. I may as well post all that for your enjoyment, eh? :)

EDIT: looking at the length of my notes, maybe I'll do a session a day - it would be a daunting pile of text to post it all in one lump!

Last edited:

Capellan

Explorer
First, here is what is left of the session I was recounting.

The Castle is very odd: obviously not designed for defence, it has an irregular, almost random shape, and large, airy windows (Ming Li describes it, almost approvingly, as "a very crooked house"). There is also only a single guard, who stutters his way through half of a challenge before the footman cuts him off and directs the adventurers - and Khore - inside.

The group emerges into a courtyard, at the centre of which is a 10' long statue of a cat, as well as a small table. A well-dressed man sits at the table, writing on a scroll with an ornate quill. The Padre immediately asks him about the reward for finding his daughter, which nonplusses the man, who insists he has no children. Ming Li suggests to the Padre that it might be wise to confirm with whom he is speaking, and it turns out that this is not the Lord, but his cousin, Horonimo.

Horonimo, it emerges, is a Bard. He's just started a new work - and account of the kidnap of the Lady Melina.

"Maybe you've heard of me?"

No, they haven't. Khore additionally expresses his opinion that it is in bad taste to begin the play so soon, with the Lady not yet recovered. Horonimo finds this idea bizarre: obviously he must begin now, or his competitors will get a head start on him. He's very pleased to meet the adventurers personally, as it will give him a much better insight into their characters when he writes their parts in the play.

They eventually manage to get the self-absorbed Horonimo to stop talking about himself, and he takes them to see the Lord, a grey-haired man with a sombre expression. He requests their assistance in finding his daughter, explaining that he believes she has been abducted by Jacobius Kranshup,

Kranshup, according to the Lord, is a disreputable looking fellow who has been an occasional visitor to the township, usually staying at the inn, where he "met with unsavoury types" and "displayed an uncouth interest" in Melina.

The group immediately decides that Melina has run off with this Kranshup - a suggestion that the Lord icily dismisses - and asks to take a look at her room. The request is granted, and they spend a fruitless half hour searching for hidden love letters. There are none, though they do notice that the room is all but overflowing with stuffed animals and similar items: the kind of toys one would get for a child. They also see another room that is filled with dolls of all kinds. They double-check Melina's age, and confirm that she is nearly twenty.

In the course of their investigation, the group also meets Dame Dora Prisius, the Lord's mother. This elderly lady is rather strange, rambling about her lost earring, which contained a ruby. The Dame says that rubies are "red like fire", adding that "fire lights the dark places", and that she was recently stuck in a dark place, but that the ruby didn't help her.

Still thinking that Melina may have left of her own volition, the adventurers check that all the family's horses are present and accounted for: they are. They also check for magic throughout the building - the lord wears a few small items of magic - and ask where the Dame's "dark place' might be. In answer, Lord Prisius shows them two secret passages, noting that Melina used to play in them as a child. He also mentions that he has already checked the passages to be sure she is not in any of them, and makes it fairly clear that he is becoming impatient for the group to set off: the kidnappers already have a head start, and will be getting further and further away.

Demonstrating their usual tact and diplomacy, the Company ignores the Lord's comments, and go to speak to Horonimo again. The Padre and Khore are both suspicious of the bard, feeling that his eagerness to begin on a play about the event indicates some sort of complicity in the act. Leaping from this dubious conclusion to the outright fantasy that the Bard would therefore have spilled all the details in the verses he is writing, they attempt to flatter him into showing them a copy. Horonimo's refusal to do so simply increases their suspicions, and Khore goes so far as to invoke his holy power to discern evil, but cannot detect it on the bard, or anyone else within the castle.

Finally, the group discusses leaving in pursuit of the missing woman. Realising that none of them can track, they ask about hiring someone to help them. Lord Prisius icily suggests that it would have been sensible to mention this some hours earlier, when they first agreed to the task, as it will take some time to find someone to help them. The group are unperturbed: they can use that time to go fetch their wagon, after all.

All these delays eventually add up to the loss of a whole day, and the group spends a comfortable night in the castle, though Lord Prisius is a far from effusive host. You'd think he was anxious about something.

During the night, the Padre gets a sense of being watched, but no-one in the group can see any sign of anyone spying on them.

The next morning, they are introduced to a tracker from the village, named Ossal. This taciturn fellow becomes positively sullen when the Padre tries to tell him how to do his job, but his tracking skills are better than his people skills, and he leads them swiftly along the road in pursuit of the robbers. He does not, however, refrain from grumbling about the delay in setting out, and the fact that he is only able to follow due to the sheer numbers of men on horseback.

After a few miles, Ossal turns off the road, dismissing the tracks that continue along it as 'a diversion' and pointing out a much less obvious set of markings leading into the forest. Following these, the group reaches a small clearing containing a campsite. The camp bears signs of having been hurriedly evacuated only a short time before: the embers in the fire-pit are still warm.

As the group explores the camp site, two hideous, bloated zombies crawl out of the underbrush and lurch to the attack. Both Sirdros and the Padre fail to turn the creatures, and the confrontation becomes a melee. The zombies are easy to hit, but they seem to shrug off most of the force of the adventurers' blows. Those injuries they do suffer weep a foul black ooze. Khore, bearing a large and heavy sword, has the most success in dispatching them.

Finally, the paladin lands a mighty blow on one of the creatures, piercing its black heart. Foul ichor spurts everywhere, and then suddenly the zombie bloats and bursts, spraying putrid chunks of flesh and gore all over the place. The force of the explosion knocks several people from their feet, and also causes the other creature to detonate as well, battering the adventurers still further. Khore, at the ehart of it all, is knocked out. The Padre heals him, however, and the group begins to look around.

They find several small but valuable items, seemingly forgotten in the bandits' sudden rush to leave the camp, as well as a scrap of parchment marked with the foul sigils of the Devourer, a demonic entity of gluttony and greed. Once their search is complete, the group gathers in the middle of the clearing to discuss their course of action. As they do, a voice calls to them, asking if they "be friends o' the green."

The Padre demands that the speaker "come forth and be recognised", which provokes the quite reasonable response that they've never met, so how will he recognise them? As the cleric starts loading a crossbow, a satyr bounds into the clearing, bowing low and winking at the females in the group.

The Padre demands the satyr's name, is told, then demands it again. The satyr - one Redhoof - asks if the cleric is deaf or stupid, then suggests he not answer, since they both know he isn't deaf. Briar nearly wets herself from laughing at this.

Redhoof expresses his admiration for the group's killing the zombies, then faces interrogation from the Padre.

"Been here a while?"

"In this spot? About a second. Why?"

Redhoof confirms that he saw the horsemen - "like centaurs, but two people rather than one" - but says that they did not have a girl with them. He's very clear on this point, remarking that he definitely knows the difference.

"Where did the horsemen go?"

"Away?"

"Which way?"

"Well, that depends. I could tell ye. I could. Because I know. But how do I know ye are friends? Ye killed the black, but maybe ye work for the white. They're working together now, but that won't last. Me, I work for the green."

"Who are the black and the white? Good and evil?"

"No, they're both evil, so they are."

"We fight for good."

"Good's all very well, but do ye fight for the green? There are plenty as are good that don't."

"How do we prove we are friends of the green?"

"It so happens as I have this amulet, this one here, which can tell if ye be friend or foe. All ye need to do is put it on, and we'll know if ye be friends. Now, I should warn ye ... I should. But I may not."

"Warn us of what?"

"Well, if ye be friends, that's all to the good, and ye can wear the amulet and be safe. But if you're not, well, things could go badly for you, so they could. At least, that's how it is supposed to work. It's never failed before, at least. Though there's always a first time, I suppose."

Briar offers to try the test of the amulet , but also asks that Redhoof teach her about the forest and the wilderness, if she passes. The satyr agrees, if she's willing to pay the price of tuition. At first, the young rogue thinks he means money, but his eyebrow-waggling leer soon makes it clear what he really means. After a few moments thought, she agrees to the conditions, asking:

"Those old legends, are they true?"

"Depends which ones ye be meanin', though I am pretty legendary, if I do say so m'self."

Briar dons the amulet and her hair turns a dark green. Redhoof, pleased with this proof of her friendship, tells the group to travel north to the Caves of Night, where he overheard the bandits say they were headed. Pausing only long enough to pat Briar's rump and tell her to hurry back, he bounds away into the forest, and the group continues on their way - though they do so without Ossal, who refuses to go near the ill-omened Caves.

Arriving at the Caves of Night, the adventurers find a scene of carnage: over a dozen horses have been slaughtered and dismembered, their bloody remains spread over the churned up mud and grass outside the cave entrance. Once of the poor creatures still lives, though it has been hideously mutilated and is currently. Briar puts a crossbow bolt through its skull, killing it instantly and painlessly.

This action disturbs a clump of rats that were feasting on the remains, and they attack the party in defence of their meal. The battle is a quick and predictable victory for the adventurers, who move on into the caves themselves.

Heading left from the first cavern, they find themselves approaching a cave filled with more of the verminous rats, which are feasting on further blood and offal. The cave appears to be a dead end, and after a whispered conversation the group decides not to waste their time and energies on such foes. Instead they turn back and follow another tunnel deeper into the ground.

Emerging into a large cave which has many holes burrowed into the floor, they advance cautiously, expecting an ambush of some kind. Their suspicions are confirmed as swarms of beetles burst out of the holes to attack them, but the fight is as one-sided as that against the rats.

Beyond the large cave, the tunnel splits and splits again, winding and twisting and branching off in all directions. Moving slowly and making a crude map as they go, the group carefully explores this warren, conscious of the risk of getting lost. They soon become conscious of another risk as well: something is in the tunnels with them! Briar's keen ears are the first to hear the slight skittering sounds of movement, but as they pause and listen, Rose and Ming Li hear them, too.

The group adopts a defensive position, with Sirdros at the centre to provide healing to whomever gets attacked. Unfortunately, the attack comes from a direction they had not anticipated: directly above. A bestial, furred humanoid drops from the ceiling, raking at Sirdros with its claws. The wounds are grievous, staggering the elf badly. The creature is like none they have seen before, with huge ears and large membranes of skin hanging from its arms.

Despite its fierce attack, however, the creature proves quite fragile: the Padre smashes his mace into its head, killing it with a single blow.

And then the adventurers hear a voice calling:

"Hello, is there someone there?"

Most of the group suspect a trap, but Khore immediately calls back to the voice. As the Paladin and the other speaker continue their conversation, the group slowly pick their way toward the voice's source - a slow and laborious process due to the difficulty of pin-pointing where sound is coming from in the twists and turns of these tunnels. Eventually, however, they find a small cave off one of the tunnels. The entrance to this cave is blocked with an iron grill, which has been padlocked shut. Behind the grill are about a dozen men, all with a disreputable appearance to them.

These men explain that they were the ones who attacked the village, under orders from their leader, who had been paid to 'ride in, make a lot of noise, and burn the inn'. They claim to know nothing of Lady Melina's abduction, and insist she was not with them when they left. They also claim not to know who hired them. Their leader conducted all the negotiations, and told them only that the man was 'a toff'.

Naturally, the group want to speak to this leader, but are told that he is dead: it seems that a man came to the bandits camp the night before, along with three companions. He demanded to know if they had the girl, and when told they did not, he slaughtered two and took the others prisoner. Khore is scornful of twelve men being bested by four, but the bandits swear these were not normal men:

"Our weapons just seemed to slide off 'em , without doin' any harm."

Since being brought to this place, the bandits have seen four of their number - including their leader - dragged out of the cell, never to return. They offer a number of bloodcurdling explanations for what might have happened to the missing men, and beg the adventurers to release them, so that they might flee.

The adventurers confer and decide that, while there is obviously a greater evil than the bandits at work, they are still criminals and should be taken back to town once the greater threat is vanquished. Though there is little argument on this point, Briar does suggest leaving the men with weapons to protect themselves from whatever took them. The Padre points out that weapons did not help them against these foes before, but would let them fight the Company, and everyone agrees that the men should not be armed.

Moving on, they press ever deeper into the earth, finally emerging from the warren on tunnels into a cavern of substantial size, with a high roof. Here, they immediately come under attack.

The first hint of a threat is the huge bat that swoops out of the darkness to bite at them, but it is quickly followed by crossbow bolts, which are fired down at them from the ceiling. Staring up, they can see dark figures hanging from the ceiling. The figures begin to reload. As the other adventurers try to engage the bat, which is the only enemy they can reach with melee weapons, the Padre casts obscuring mist in an attempt to provide the band with some cover.

The attempt is an abject failure: neither the giant bat nor the crossbowmen seem inconvenienced by the fog, while it hinders the adventurers from landing their blows. The others yell at him to dismiss his spell, but the spell cannot be cancelled in that way, and the group fights at a disadvantage for the remainder of the battle. Thanks, Padre.

The giant bat scores some nasty injuries on the group, but they eventually manage to fell it after it comes in reach of their weapons once too often. The rain of bolts continues, however, and when they return fire, their arrows harmlessly glance off their foes, doing no harm. It rapidly becomes obvious that unless they can think of more innovative tactics, they will be defeated in this fight. It is also obvious that they will need to think of them soon: their injuries are mounting rapidly, and several people are on the verge of collapse.

Briar remembers her magical dagger, and the injury it dealt the imp in Amberdale. Hoping that it will work against these foes as well, she hurls it at one of their crossbow-wielding foes. It proves a superbly weighted throw, the dagger plunges into the creature's neck, right to the lift. With a choking screech, this enemy falls from the roof, landing with a sodden thud.

Knowing that they cannot rely on so lucky a blow a second time, Rose manufactures a rough lasso with a length of rope, then casts it at the other foe. She manages to snag it and pull the loop tight, but the creature is stronger and heavier than the halfling, and she cannot dislodge it from its roost.

The Padre moves to assist Rose, but as he does so, Khore notices that the creature is quite close to one of the walls. Running across the floor of the cave, the Paladin leaps up, his fingers and toes finding enough purchase for him to climb further, until he is nearly twenty feet above the ground. Hissing, the creature fights its arms free and shoots a bolt into the knight's shoulder. He nearly loses his grip, but manages to hang on from sheer determination.

Then, with a shout, Khore throws himself off the wall.

For a second, the Paladin seems destined to fall short, plunging to the stone floor below, but then his grasping fingers clasp around the creature's arm. The foe squeals and tries to wrench free, but its reaction is too slow. Unable to support the two hundred pounds of extra weight, it is torn free of the ceiling, and the two - man and beast - plummet to the ground.

After killing the injured beast-man, and restoring Khore to consciousness (the latter is a task that will rapidly become a familiar one), the group moves on. The first corridor they investigate proves to be a trap for the unwary, but Rose - who is scouting - dodges back in time from the pit trap that opens beneath her feet. Undeterred by this, the adventurers try another tunnel, which eventually emerges into the largest cavern they have yet seen, and the first to be significantly obstructed by pillars of rock and changes in the level of the floor.

At the far side of the cavern, on a raised platform of rock, stands a dark-haired man. He has a rather thin-looking beard, though his forearms are quite thickly haired. He invites the adventurers to leave, warning them that they will die if they stay, but the Company of the Random Encounter has never had much time for caution: they charge.

Khore and the Padre are the first of the mark, and thus the first to discover that the stone pillars conceal ambushers. Four grey-skinned creatures with staring, sightless eyes burst out of the darkness. Though they are blind, the things are far from helpless, zeroing in on the priest and paladin through some means other than sight.

Battle is joined, with the man on the platform changing into one of the bestial bat-things, and firing crossbow bolts at the adventurers, while they do their best to fight their way through to face him. Things start badly: Khore, Briar and Ming Li are all injured, the monk taking a particularly ugly injury from the man's crossbow. However, they fight back quickly: the Padre and Ming Li manage to down one of the creatures, while Briar guts another with a single vicious blow.

Sirdros moves up and heals Briar with the wand, just in time to keep the rogue on her feet - the leader of the enemy has chosen her as his next target, hitting her squarely with a bolt. Though wavering on her feet, she has enough space in the fight to load her own crossbow with a gleaming magical bolt and send it flying toward the man, clipping his arm with her shot.

Recklessly battling two of the grey-skinned creatures at the same time, Khore is laid low by the wounds he has suffered. Rose and Sirdros move to assist him, suffering wounds of their own for their trouble. Fortunately, the Padre and Ming Li are on hand as well, and the four of them fell the two remaining creatures.

Now only the beast-man remains, but he is not going down easily. Ming Li wings him with a magical crossbow bolt of her own, but it nearly drops Briar with another well-aimed shot. Too far from the clerics for aid, the young rogue quaffs a potion in order to keep herself in the fight.

En masse, the group charges forward again, but it seems that for every blow they inflict, a more telling blow is made against them. Briar's dagger cuts the bat-creature, but she is felled by the blow that comes in response. Sirdros too is hurt badly, then Khore is downed. Rose falls next, just as the Padre stabilises Briar and Sirdros brings Khore back to consciousness. The Paladin tries to get fancy, twice attempting to trip his foe, but both times is thrown to the ground himself.

"Stop messing about and hit him!" is the Padre's advice, as he uses a potion to restore Rose to consciousness.

The bat-creature tires of the clerics' interference, moving to attack them and negate the party's healing. Both men fight back - the Padre in particular lands a mighty blow - but the enemy is strong, and has healing potions of his own. Sirdros is forced back to heal himself, while the Cleric of St Cuthbert is knocked out, falling at his enemy's feet.

Things could have gone badly for the Padre, then, but Ming Li snatches up Briar's magical dagger, which has fallen to the ground, and buries it deep in the creature's side. As it screeches in rage and pain, Sirdros charges once more into the battle, and the monk and priest between them strike it to the ground. As it falls, the creature returns to its human form.

Many charges of the wand are expended in restoring the party to some semblance of health. They then search the cavern, uncovering a chest of treasure, but no sign of the missing Lady Melina. It seems that at least part of the bandits' claim was true: they did not take her.

After severing the head of the powerful creature they have slain, the Company release the bandits from their prison, then bind their hands and march them back to town for justice.

Back in town, they get confirmation from Lord Prisius that the man-creature they fought was the Jacobius Kranshup of whom he spoke when tasking them with recovering his daughter. While he stiffly thanks them for slaying the man and capturing the bandits, Prisius makes it clear that they have not yet accomplished their task. His daughter is still missing, and they must set out to look for her again, not returning until they do.

The Padre has a nasty, suspicious mind, and there is something about the Lord's demeanour that ignites that suspicion. He politely agrees that they will leave immediately - talking over the top of Khore, who wants to stay until the bandits have been tried - and ushers everyone out. As soon as the Lord cannot see them, the priest goes to Horonimo, and - with flattering words of the bard's arcane knowledge - encourages him to demonstrate the use a wand of detect secret doors that the group has acquired. Horonimo is so pleased by the flattery that he willingly complies. Immediately he does, the Padre starts dragging him from room to room, demanding to know if there are any secret doors.

And thus the group learns that there are three secret passages in the house, not two. Suspicions of the Lord Prisius mount higher - suspicions that are proven when he enters the room and demands they step away from the door in question.

The Padre insists that the door be checked, but when he does so the Lord gestures, his eyes burning with an amber light as he does so. For a moment, the cleric feels his brain seize up in pain, but he battles through the sensation, and shouts for the others to attack.

Battle is joined, the adventurers against the Lord. Horonimo faints at the sight. The Lord bellows for his guards, but he has made a mistake in coming to the room alone, and by the time his men arrive, he lies in a pool of his own blood. During the fight, he has demonstrated strange powers, unlike any magic the adventurers have seen, but it was not enough to avail against so many foes.

It seems now, however, that the group must be overcome and slain or imprisoned, but - as the guards gather to face them - Sirdros and the Padre smash open the secret door, revealing that the Lady Melina was indeed trapped within. She vouches for their actions, revealing that her father imprisoned her when he learnt that she meant to leave the castle and study the healing arts in Marikest. He had doted on her so long that he could not bear her to leave.

The Lady pardons the adventurers, though she notes sadly that she would have wished her father not to be slain. She tells the Padre also that his resistance to the Lord's attack is due to the fact that the same powers are latent within him. She encourages him to remain and learn of the art from her, for she too is a practitioner, and the priest agrees.

Briar too, takes her leave of the group, returning to the forest to seek out Redhoof for the training he promised her.

Freed from the Padre's parsimonious eye, the other adventurers - and Khore, who loudly declares that he is a Knight, not an adventurer - take the opportunity to give away about five hundred pounds of mundane equipment, which the priest had been keeping in the hope of selling it. Then they continue on their journey north.

Capellan

Explorer
Unaware of their comrades' adventures at the Caves of Night, the remainder of the Company leave the Monastery of the Risen Star only once the repairs to the catacombs are complete. With these done, and all seemingly in order, they set off north. Of all those who have previously shared their adventures, only Ulfgar and Gabrielle choose not to make the journey to the Monastery and beyond. In fact, both appear to have abandoned the adventuring life completely.

As they set out, Anastria as always find many things to complain about. Even the reminder that they travel north for her brother's sake - he is to perform the Spring Service in the village of Camiram, further up the coast - does nothing to improve her mood. If anything it sours it further, but at least she subsides into dark mutters about the 'cult' of Pelor, rather than loudly chastising her fellow travellers.

The first two days of journeying pass without major event, and around midday on the third, the group approaches the Drunk Duck Inn. There they find news of the road to the north. It seems that they near the village of Poisson, where the old lighthouse stands. Twinkle brightens at the news: Sionaas, the bee-keeping wizard, had mentioned his plans to make a home near this town, and the gnome is running low on honey. She enthusiastically suggests that they pay him a visit.

Everyone is agreeable to the idea, and so they ask for directions. They get some, but they also learn that Sionaas' tower is still being built, and the workers often come to the inn around evening, for the meals and cold ale. When the workers leave to return to the site, the adventurers would be able to travel with them, and thus take a swifter route than they might find alone.

No-one seems to have any problem with spending an afternoon in a tavern (what a surprise!), so this plan is adopted.

The only flaw with the plan proves to be that it is a long and rather cold walk to Sionaas' tower, once the sun is long-down. Fortunately, the adventurers are well-fortified with warming alcohol, and do not overly mind.

Arriving at the work site, they seek out Sionaas - who still makes his dwelling in a gypsy-style wagon - and ask about the progress of his work. He shows them some magical candles he has created: one that burns without ceasing, and another that explodes, momentarily stunning anyone standing too close. Anastria causes much snickering by asking for one of the 'blow up candles'.

Twinkle also purchases candles - both kinds - and shyly asks for another jar of honey. Sionaas readily gives this to her, noting that he has far more of the stuff than he knows what to do with.

Borrowing a tent from the wizard's building site supplies, the group pitches it near the other workers, and then sit around with the men, swapping tales around the campfire. The next morning, rising long after the workers have set out, they take breakfast with Sionaas and then go down to view the site.

Most of the work seems to digging, at this time, and Sionaas explains that he intends to open up enough area for his giant bees to build a full-scale hive, before building a tower of stone for himself. It is more important to his work that the bees be comfortable and secure than he himself, and he does not find the cosy confines of his wagon to be unpleasant.

As the group turns away from the face of the diggings, there are shouts of alarm and then a sudden rumble as rocks and dirt cave-in from the ceiling. Several of the workers are completely buried, but of the adventurers only Stormstrider is caught by any of the debris, suffering some minor injuries to his legs. After pulling the elf free, the Company do what they can to aid in the workmen in digging for their buried friends.

It is not long before they find one, being drawn to him by his screams. Even as they reach him, he begs to be pulled free, shouting:

"My legs! There's something there and it's biting my legs!"

Indeed, when they pull him out, they find that his legs, quite apart from the damage done by the cave-in, are covered in dozens of tiny bites, the flesh torn open and bleeding.

The risk of further cave-ins slows the work, and it is many hours before the other buried workers are all found. Unfortunately, none are alive. Those that were not killed instantly by the cave-in died from blood-loss, for each has suffered hundreds of wounds like the bites on the first man rescued.

With six of their fellows dead and some kind of threat living in the earth where they are digging, the workers are understandably reluctant to re-enter the cave. Sionaas thus turns to the Company for help, offering them a small reward if they will seek out the creatures that attacked the men, and drive off or destroy them.

The adventurers agree, and examine the cave for signs of how the creatures may have entered. Mantreus and Elspeth soon find small holes in the cave walls, not more than three or four inches across, but very deep. The ranger suggests they were caused by some sort of long, thin, burrowing creature. Macwood suggests that this was rather obvious.

A discussion follows on how to tackle such small creatures. Poking swords and staves into the holes does not seem to engender any reaction, so the creatures must be some distance away. Eventually, Anastria suggests using meat as a lure. The creatures attacked the bodies of the workers: perhaps they will be attracted to the scent of blood or fresh meat.

This seems like a plan, and Elspeth is sent to purchase some meat from the nearest farm. Unfortunately, she chooses to return with a live goat, and proposes that they simply hack off its leg to get a suitably bloody piece of flesh. There's a brief argument in which it rapidly becomes apparent that, while they will happily slay all manner of beasts, no-one in the group is prepared to butcher the goat simply for use as bait. Twinkle, in particular, is opposed to the idea, adamantly refusing to countenance any plan for murdering 'Errol', as she has dubbed the creature. Elspeth points out that it's clearly not a male goat, and therefore can't be named Errol, but the gnome insists otherwise.

In time, it is agreed that Errol will not be killed. In celebration, Twinkle tries to ride the goat, but it doesn't appear grateful for her efforts to save it, and swiftly bucks her off. Rubbing her bruised backside, the gnome opines that a goat obviously isn't appropriate as a mount, and that she's sure a giant lizard will prove much more suitable.

None of this is leading toward a resolution of the current problem, of course. Eventually, the decision is made to reinforce the cave area around the holes, and then dig into the earth to see if the creatures' lair is close enough to be reached.

It is not, but after two hours of digging the adventurers suddenly break through into a much larger burrow. In shape and formation it is similar to those they have seen before, but it is three feet across, rather than three inches. It is clear that whatever attacked the workers, it has some much larger relatives.

The adventurers are undaunted, however, and make their way into these larger openings. Twinkle and Macwood are the only ones who can move freely, with the others shuffling along on hands and knees. They have gone only a short distance when a pair of strange, centipede-like creatures scuttle out of the darkness toward them. These 'burrowbiters', as the halfling bard names them, have segmented bodies that are narrow, but close to a foot long. They also have large mandibles, capable of giving flesh a nasty gouge.

The creatures are soon dispatches, having bitten only Mantreus in the process, and the group moves on, searching for the hive. Eventually, they emerge into an area that has been hollowed out. Most of them still cannot properly stand, due to the low ceiling, but they are going to need to properly fight: not only are there over a dozen of the burrowbiters here, but there is also a far larger creature, perhaps as much as five feet in length, with jaws that are equally out-sized for its body.

"The mommy-beast is yours." Twinkle advises Stormstrider.

The gnome's words are almost prophetic, for as both she and the ranger begin the fight by killing one of the smaller burrowbiters, the larger specimen scurries forward, clamping its massive jaws on Stormstrider's right leg. He screams as the powerful mandibles close, tearing flesh and crushing bone. Blood fountains from the ruined limb, and the elf fall, unconscious from the pain.

As the others focus their efforts on the smaller beasts, Macwood runs forward and heals Stormstrider. The ranger rises - and the large burrowbiter savages him again, kicking him straight back into oblivion.

As Mantreus' magic missiles blast one of little beasts to smithereens, Macwood draws out the wand of cure light wounds and heals Stormstrider once more. The elf's gory body mends somewhat, but he remains unconscious.

Twinkle, perhaps feeling guilty over her comment, runs forward and stabs at the large beast, just before it can lunge at Macwood The creature hisses and turns, trying to snatch the gnome in its jaws, but Twinkle is able to skip backward, her small size an advantage in these close confines.

"That's two for me." Mantreus announces, as another of the creatures is blasted by his magic. He smirks at Elspeth, "Are you ever going to kill any?"

Seeing Stormstrider rise as Macwood uses the wand again, Twinkle co-ordinates her attack with his, and the two drive their weapons deep into it. Bleeding a foul green ichor, it snaps feebly at the ranger, but he fends off the blow.

As Elspeth finally kills one of the small creatures - and moments later a second - Anastria joins the battle against the larger beast. The elf woman manages to score only a light injury on its side, but this is enough to distract it from Stormstrider's heavier blow, which crushes its last spark of life.

With the 'mother beast' gone, the remaining burrowbiters are swiftly destroyed, and - after taking a few minutes to ensure that none still lurk in the remaining tunnels - the adventurers return to the surface ... and their reward.

Then, bidding Sionaas and the remaining workers farewell, the group heads down into the nearby village of Poisson, which lies on the main road leading north. There, they take lunch at the Old Captain's Inn, which also sells a variety of nautical paraphernalia. Twinkle is particularly thrilled to find eye-patches, and promptly buys two, since she has two eyes.

The rest of their journey north is uneventful, and some four days later they reach the city of Marikest, the capital and largest settlement of the Hidden Coast. There, they meet with the others, and begin a spree of buying and selling. There are several items in the group's possession for which they have no need, and the markets of Marikest are their first opportunity to sell many of these, and there are plenty of things to buy ... even Twinkle's giant lizard, which an enterprising ostler agrees to import from the dwarves who live below the Crescent Range mountains.

As he goes through the items to sell, Mantreus comes across the strangely-marked copper pendant that they discovered in their very first adventure. For a moment, he almost throws the bauble away, for it is clearly of little value. But as he examines the marks, a small voice in the back of his mind suggests that there might be some meaning to them, and instead he decides to see if there is anyone in the town who can tell him what that might be(1).

When the group gathers once more, about a week later, the sorcerer begins to tell his companions of what he has learned, but his tale is interrupted by a hubbub of shouting and cries for alarm. Looking in the direction of the sound, the adventurers spy a thick cloud of black smoke. Such sights are always of interest to adventurers - "where there's smoke there's profit" - and they immediately head over to investigate.

The source of the fire, they learn, is a well-known local inn, "The Beast". This was once a feared pirate vessel, but when her captain was taken and executed, the damaged hull was purchased by a local merchant, and turned into one of Marikest's most popular drinking halls. Today, however, it has been reduced to a smoking ruin, courtesy - as the owner tells them - of a disgruntled employee: a bard by the name of Contel.

"He was a fine player, but the crowds did not take to him, and he worked up quite a debt on fine wine and food." The owner, one Tardak, explains. "I told him yesterday that if he did not pay, I'd have to take his flute - a fine gold one, it is - as payment. This morn, he was gone, and my inn was afire. I want him found, and the flute brought back to me. It might pay for what I lost, today. I'll give you fifty gold each if you do it."

"Is that each?" Mantreus asks. It's an automatic reflex, by now. Tardak gives him a dour glare,

"That's what 'each' usually means."

Stormstrider has other matters on his mind:

"Can we kill the bard?"

"Not unless y'must, to get the flute."

The group agrees to take on the task, and begin to make enquiries about the missing man. It soon emerges that he fled south on horseback, and they determine to follow him. Twinkle excitedly runs to get her new mount, which provokes considerable bemusement from her colleagues.

"This is Lord Rejinald Logarto III." The gnome announces when she arrives. The mournful-looking lizard rolls its yellow eyes toward the other adventurers, who stare, dumbfounded. The gnome drops her voice to speak in a conspiratorial whisper, "Try not to mention that he only has two names. He's very sensitive about that."

Finally setting off after the missing bard, the group proves how earnest they are in their pursuit by stopping for the night at the first farm they pass. The farmer, a gruff man with many hunting dogs, allows them the use of his barn.

Riding on in the rain the next morning, the group reaches the small town of Parvue. Figuring that a lone traveller such as Contel would have sought a safe place to spend the night, they go to the local inn, in hopes of learning whether the bard stayed there. The front room of the inn proves deserted, however, and when they call for the barkeep, two burly thugs with clubs rush out from the back. The pair seem startled to meet such a large and well-armed group, and they get little time to rue their rush into the room: Mantreus deftly puts one to sleep with a spell, while Elspeth and Macwood quickly cut down the other.

Hearing the back door of the inn bang closed, the group moved into the rear room, discovering a woman, lying unconscious on the floor. She wears a militia uniform, and has been badly beaten. After checking that she is still alive, they revive her and learn that she is Nilfaria, the only permanent member of the militia in this small settlement, and thus the de facto 'sheriff'. Further conversation reveals that she saw a well-dressed stranger in town the night before. The group make the assumption that this is Contel, since they never got a description. He spent the night at the inn, drinking with the two men who assaulted her.

This raises the question of why Nilfaria was attacked, to which she can only tentatively suggest that it is because she planned to ride up to the lumber mill that day, to check on the workers, there. Many of the local men work at the mill, and there has been no word of them for over a week - an unusually long period.

With this information at hand, the group revives the magically sleeping thug and interrogates him. They soon learn that all is indeed not well at the lumber camp: someone named 'Lorlathon' has moved in and taken over, turning the mill to his own profit. When asked about Contel, the thug laughs cruelly. Yes, they sent the bard up to the mill, promising him a 'glad welcome'. Of course, it might be the gladness of robbers with a new prize, but they didn't tell him that ...

The group resolves to head up to the mill and rescue Contel (assuming he is still alive). They also not too subtly drop hints that the injured Nilfaria might be better off paying them to deal with any problems there, rather than trying to handle them herself. The sheriff, battered and bruised, agrees to pay them for their efforts ... once they return.

Heading up to the camp, they send Twinkle and Mantreus ahead to scout. At first things go quite well, and everyone reaches the edge of the camp without incident. Hiding in the undergrowth, they survey the clearing in which the camp is set. The place is mostly quiet, the exception being one shed-like building where the sound of loud, half-drunken conversation can be heard. There are about half a dozen buildings in all, and on the edge of the clearing is a large patch of disturbed earth, shaped into a low mound. It looks grimly like a mass grave.

Although the sound of the voices is audible, the words themselves are muffled and slurred, making them impossible to distinguish from this distance, so Twinkle, Macwood and Mantreus sneak closer to hear more. Though 'sneak' might be too generous a term to describe Twinkle's movement, as it implies some measure of stealth.

Thus it is that the door of the building bursts open as they approach. The three adventurers brace themselves for combat, but the man who staggers out into the sunlight greets them quite convivially:

"Hello there! You must be the new lads Lorlathon told us about."

Bluffing quickly, Macwood agrees that they are, and asks to be taken to see the 'big man'. This the friendly drunk agrees to do, calling for his mates to meet the new lads, and to come along for the trip. Soon a large gang of grubby, hard-faced men and women have congregated, and are leading the adventurers toward a small shack that has a sign reading "Mill Foreman" over the door.

Though everyone appears welcoming, the three Company members are acutely aware that they are surrounded, and hands nervously inch toward weapons as they make their way across the camp. They can only hope that if it does come to a fight, their friends in the trees will come to their aid, for there would be little chance of fighting free alone.

They reach the hut, still hemmed in by the band of thugs, and one of the unshaven men hammers on the door with his fist, calling for Lorlathon.

The man who opens the door is better dressed than his gang of thieves, but his face shares the same hard lines and mean expression. He asks Macwood if they are the new lads, and the halfling agrees that they are. Smirking, Lorlathon replies,

"Really? Then yer not here for this?"

As he speaks, he throws the severed head of Contel - hidden behind his back - into the halfling's chest.

A vicious dagger blow follows the head, and Macwood staggers backward in a fountain of blood.

Predictably, all hell breaks loose.

Mantreus snaps off another sleep charm, dropping three enemies to the ground, while Stormstrider charges out of the treeline with a mighty yell, felling one of the thugs with his staff. Things look grim, though ... the adventurers are heavily outnumbered, and Macwood will almost certainly be killed if he is struck again.

Twinkle, standing amidst a gang of foes twice her size, all of whom have produced daggers or clubs from inside their clothes, feels a moment of rising panic. For a second, she laments the use of her invisibility potion when they fought the ogre, One-Eye.

And then she remembers another potion, and lying on bare stone as someone forced a tickle of life-giving fluid into her mouth. She remembers it spreading through her, and driving back the numb cold in her limbs.

The gnome reaches to her belt and pulls open one of her many belt pouches. A nearby thug thrusts a dagger at her, but she ducks as she moves, and the blade just scores a light cut across the back of her neck. As she fumbles for the vial within the pouch, a second thug attacks, and this time she is not so lucky: his club strikes hard against her ribs. But ignoring this, she pulls the vial free and pulls free the stopper, then ducks another blow to force the potion into Macwood's hand.

"Drink!" she shouts, and the halfling does, his wounds healing as the elixir of health restores him.

And from that moment of courage the tide of battle seems to turn. Mantreus hammers the thugs with his magic missiles, and Anastria joins the barrage, employing her own recently-completed magical studies. Elspeth and the restored Macwood tear through the thugs in tandem. These men and women are vicious, dirty fighters, but their skills are those of brawlers, no match for trained warriors.

And as for Stormstrider, he and his wolf, Blackfang, face the most vicious thug of all - Lorlathon himself. The thugs' leader is a better fighter than his men, and his blade cuts deeply in both the elf and the wolf, but then Blackfang's lunging jaws clamp around his ankle, pulling him to the ground, and Stormstrider smashes down with his staff, ensuring the villain will never rise.

With their enemy defeated, the adventurers tend their wounds, then search the camp. Contel is dead, but his golden flute they find, as well as two captive locals who had not yet been killed. These men they free, then check their booty for magical treasure.

The discovery that the flute itself is magical provokes a long argument, with Mantreus insisting that they should receive a lot more than 50 gold apiece for recovering such a valuable item. He initially wins some support from the others, but Macwood insists that the deal was agreed in good faith, and should be kept in that manner. In the end, it is his argument that prevails.

Thus the group returns to Marikest and receives their reward.

Though not without a few more complaints.

(1) I'll post the results of Mantreus' investigations on Sunday. The PCs got a separate handout, and now so shall you :)

threshel

First Post
OK, I was all set to say g'bye, and in fact had. Then you do this. My poor heart can't take it.
But my greedy brain keeps lapping it up. Twinkle = one great gnome, CotRE's detective skills have me in stitches, and, of course any reward offered will always be met with "each?"
Thanks for the extra effort Capellan.
:)
J

Capellan

Explorer
Excerpted from the Diary of Mantreus ...

My fellow adventurers of the Random Encounter.

I feel I must put the following to paper in case something untoward may happen to myself during my investigations of the copper pendant we found in the rangers tower.

This is therefore a log or diary of my investigations. If something may happen to me during these investigations, I have left instructions with Garralus the Scribe in Marikest to pass this diary on to “The Company of The Random Encounter based in Amberdale” as well as my last will and testament.

Regards,

Mantreus

Day One - Morning
For some time this copper pendant I’ve been carrying has been worrying me. The inscriptions on the pendant look wrong somehow, and I cannot place my finger on it.

I am going to take the opportunity of being in Marikest, a town of decent size, to investigate the origins of this pendant. I’ve made arrangements to pass this diary onto my friends in case something happens to me. Overly cautious perhaps, but I feel it’s well justified.

I have decided not to inform my friends of the investigation as I work better alone in my dealings with people. The Padre is a good man, but can be somewhat abrupt. Twinkle is a sweet little thing, but I somehow don’t think she would be up to the seriousness of this matter. The others all have their virtues, but I feel I am the best person for this particular job. Not only this, but I have a hunch there is much more to this pendant than is obviously apparent, and it could therefore be dangerous. There is no need to endanger my friends unnecessarily. I go now to investigate the taverns of this fine town to see if I can’t find out where I might go to investigate this strange pendant further…

Day One – Evening.
After a few hours of touring Marikest’s drinking establishments, I found an interesting fellow that loved to gossip about everything and everyone. Every town has one, and it took all my efforts to steer his conversation toward what I was interested in.

He gave me three options. The first being the name “Artimas Sendant” who apparently has been locked up in the local mental asylum for the past 4 months. The other suggestions being a place called “The Obelisk of the Winds” or the local Church of St Cuthbert.

All sense would point me towards the Mages tower, but I can’t help but wonder what happened to a highly regarded sage that caused him to go insane? I will go to the asylum tomorrow and see if Artimas knows anything about this pendant. Somehow I doubt it, but my curiosity has the better of me. Perhaps Shadow's behaviour is wearing off on me?

Day Two – Morning
I have returned from the asylum. I fooled the staff into thinking I’m a long lost cousin of Artimas. It never ceases to amaze me how far a modicum of acting skill can take you when you need to know something. Apparently Artimas is quite the loon and requires restraint. Therefore they have asked that I come to visit tomorrow.

Considering I have some time to kill, I might see if I can’t charm the pants of that well-rounded serving maid at the Golden Goblet.

Day Three – Morning
Beldaren was quite stunning to behold, unfortunately every time she opened her mouth it sounded like Twinkle trying to sing. Enough of that though, I’m off to talk to the mad Artimas.

Day Three – Evening
Well, an unsettling meeting to say the least. I was stripped of my weapons before entering, which concerned me a small amount, though I still had my magic available to me if things turned violent. I was then escorted to a small stone room with a burly looking guard watching proceedings. The door was then locked behind me.

I found myself gauging the relative toughness of the guard, checking the room for other exits and examining the door for weaknesses. I have to stop myself from doing that; I’m a respectable adventurer now.

I found poor Artimas tied to a chair and looking at me eagerly.

I will write down everything that was said before I forget. A rough transcript follows:

“Dear cousin Artimas! What has become of you? I had come to visit and ask about a family heirloom, and I find that you've been incarcerated!”, I said, looking quite convincingly distressed if I do say so myself.

"Cousin, eh? Is that what They told you to say? But, eh, what's this? A little body in a deep grave?" he leant forward as much as his bonds allowed, "Not the gravedigger after all, are you, lad? Well, well. What can old Artimas do for you?" he twitched his head, "Not that you'll thank me. I can hear them. They whisper about you. They whisper about so much ..."

"Artimas, it is I, Mantreus. I was hoping you could help me with identifying this old family heirloom..."

He lunged forward at the sight of the pendant - at least as far as the straps would allow him to, anyway. His eyes wide, he stared at the nondescript little thing with an unsettling intensity. Finally, he snapped his gaze up to me, and I couldn’t help but take a step back. The look in his eyes ... I expected to see mania, or confusion ... what I saw instead was utter clarity. A level of clarity so intense that it could only have been madness.

"Oh yes. I know it. Want to know its secret, lad? Be careful. The secret may come to know you." he giggled, "Or perhaps it does already. Perhaps the touch is on you now. Yes. Ready to drag you down, into the darkness and the whispers, 'til your ears run blood at the sound ..." his expression grew sly, "It is good to see you again, 'cousin'. I know the story that that you want to hear, but it is a long one, and I am a tired old man. Come back tomorrow and I will tell you more."

So I am to return tomorrow. I was going to go to the Golden Goblet again tonight, but I’m not in the mood really. I believe I will have a quiet night with Shadow, and think some more on this.

Day Four - Morning
I’m off to see Artimas again, hopefully for the last time. I realise the things he says are probably just the babblings of a madman, but I can’t help but feel uncomfortable. I slept very badly last night, and Shadow seemed jumpy, like there was something or someone watching us. There was nothing though. It’s still unsettling, Shadow is rarely wrong about these things.

Day Four – Late Morning
On my return, Artimas immediately asked to see the pendant.

"Intriguing, it is. All hidden things are. Show it to me again ... my memory of it has faded, and must be fresh to answer your questions."

I showed him the pendant again, he stared at it intently for a long time - perhaps 30 seconds or so - as if memorising every last detail. He neither spoke nor moved in that time, and ignored any attempts to communicate with him.

Finally, he looked up at me. When he spoke, his voice was a hoarse whisper.

"It belongs to Them. To the dark ones. Who, you ask? The secret court. The court that makes the laws for those we do not see. You have stumbled on more than you know, my young blood. More than most would know. But I know. Yes, I do. Put it aside, if you value your life. It will lead Them to you, and their whispers will fill your ears, creeping like shadows into your mind. Already they have sensed you. Already you draw their eyes. They see into places and things that you cannot. You do not know what you face."

And then suddenly that manic, twisted smile returned, and the relative calm fled from his tone.

"Dance on your grave! That's what they'll do. Or make you dance there. Meat-puppet. You meddle! You will pay. I have paid. But when They are done with you, you will envy me. For I am warm and snug, and their whispers comfort me. For you there will be only cold."

He giggled insanely, drool puddling from one corner of his lip.

It was apparent that I would get nothing more from him. He continued to babble about “Them” and kept calling me a “Meat-puppet”.

I'm leaving the pendant with Garralus, copying the inscriptions from the pendant onto some paper and taking that with me to the Obelisk of the Winds to ask if I can have the inscription investigated, or if they don't want to, for me to make use of their library to investigate it myself (if they have one). I require the opinions of a sound mind, not more of this babbling.

Day Four – Evening
Just when you think you’ve seen it all, something comes along to prove you wrong. I don’t honestly believe I’m the most powerful or charming sorcerer (I hate that word) in the land, but I’ve not met the likes of those I met at The Obelisk of the Winds. In my earlier days, I doubt I would have been given entry at all.

At first glance, the person who opened the door appeared to be an elf, with the long features, pointed ears, and flowing white hair of that race. But no elf is 7 feet tall, and no elf had eyes like hers: pale blue like the morning sky, with neither pupil nor iris apparent.

I explained my purpose. I must admit that my voice faltered a little as I noticed her clothes and hair stir in the breeze; because there was no breeze. The air was still.

When I finished, she shook her head,

"You must seek elsewhere. The masters' business is the sale of items, not of information."

With that, she started to close the door.
I had to think quickly, so I used all of my persuasive skills and charm, although I fear that it had nothing to with her eventual decision. "Then possibly there is some item I might be able to purchase that might help me with my purpose? If not, I may be interested in some scrolls anyway.", I implored, giving her my most dazzling smile.

She stopped with the door half-shut, then slowly opened it again.

"Enter."

My relief was palpable. Not only was a small part further along in my quest, but I got to admire this strangely beautiful woman further.

She lead me along a stone hallway, and into a small sitting room. Even indoors, her clothes and hair rippled constantly, as if brushed by the wind.

"Please wait here. I shall see if one of the masters is free to speak with you." She gestures, and a sheet of parchment, ink pot and quill float from a desk across to you. "Please compile a list of the items you require, while you are waiting. Refreshments are in the cabinet on your left."

Despite her alien beauty, I was unimpressed by her cheap telekinetic trick. What happened next impressed me a great deal however. When she left the room the door closed behind her, it - and the door by which I entered - glowed briefly, then transformed into blank stone.

I quickly wrote some requests for some scrolls and a magical device that might help me find out what the inscription from the pendant meant and attached my drawing of the pendant.

I fixed myself some refreshments, lit my pipe and wandered about the room. I noticed that the temperature of the room was pleasantly cool despite the frigid temperatures outside. There was no evidence of a heating system though.

After about 5 minutes, a handsome human male entered, followed by the tall woman.

"Good day," he said pleasantly, "I am Nerev. Do you have your list ready?"

I floated the list to him in much the same way that the tall woman gave me the parchment in the first place. Nerev did not appear to notice, although I thought I saw the woman smile slightly. Nerev read over the list and nodded.

"The scrolls are readily available - in total they will cost you 150 gold. I cannot provide you with anything that will tell you what the inscriptions mean, but I can offer you a Wand of Object Loresight. That may allow you to learn more about the item. That will take about a week to procure, and cost a further 750 gold."

750 gold was well out of my means. Thinking quickly, I said, "Unfortunately, the wand is presently out of my means. Would it be possible to hire someone to perform a casting of the enchantment that the wand contains for a lesser fee? If not, I perfectly understand and shall return later once I have procured sufficient funds."

"There may be an apprentice or hedge wizard in town who could cast it for you." Nerev flickered his hand disdainfully, "I myself do not perform such work."

Rather than let this Nerev fellow think me an impoverished “hedge wizard” I said, "I understand Nerev. I would prefer not to consort with such folk. I will purchase the wand." And produced the gold even though it pained me greatly.

My pride will get me killed one day.

Nerev smiled, "Very well. Return in two days, and I shall provide you with the wand. Skye here will bring your scrolls shortly."

Both of them then left the room, the doors sealing as they did before. After only a minute or so, the tall woman - Skye - returned with the scrolls I requested, then escorted me to the door.

An interesting encounter to say the least. I will write more once I get this expensive wand and examine the pendant with it.

Day 6 – Evening
I now have my expensive wand. It’s fairly boring looking. It appears to be made of copper with a rose quartz tip. I certainly hope it proves worth the investment. I’m almost feeling “normal” again. Both Shadow and myself are less jumpy, and Beldaren from the Golden Goblet doesn’t sound so bad after all. I will do some work tonight with this new wand instead of cavorting about town and get this awful pendant stuff out of the way.

Day 7 – Late Morning
After all of my investigations, it appears the madman was right. I found out the following about the accursed pendant:

- it is 106 years old
- it was created by someone called Ellowyn
- Ellowyn is an elf ... and a vampire
- the object's purpose is to identify the bearer as a member of the Ebon Court
- the item was created in the elven village of Aniel

I remember that horrid vampire thing we encountered beneath the monastery of Pelor where Sirdros fell. It mentioned the Ebon Court. It seems we have crossed their path more than once.

This might not necessarily indicate that Artimas was correct about them tracking me via the pendant except Shadow and I were not imagining it. As I was examining the pendant last night, I noticed a slight blurring in the air near my window, almost like a circular window through space. Someone has begun scrying me.

Peterson

First Post
Capellan said:
Excerpted from the Diary of Mantreus ...

Someone has begun scrying me.

Now, I ain't too sure why that worried me the way it did, but....it did.

Thanks again Cap, for trying to finish this up for the masses.

Good stuff.

Peterson

Capellan

Explorer
Last session's adventures were a modified version of WotC's "The Windswept Wall" and CMG's "The Whispering Woodwind" (what a lot of Ws!). This session covers what was supposed to be a WotC's "Village of Camiram" cliffhanger, crossed with a heavily modified version of Necromancer Games' "Feast of the Gobbler", replacing that adventure's 'bad joke' adversaries with gnolls. Only the CotRE never quite got to the adventure part of things ...

The Padre stands near the door of the prison cell, staring out into the corridor through the narrow viewing grille.

"This is all your fault." He tells Khore.

The accused Paladin glances up from where he is seated on a straw pallet bed,

"The fault lies with those who unjustly tried to bar us from entering this village." Is his calm rejoinder. "I merely tried to show them they were in error."

The Priest of St Cuthbert grunts and throws himself onto the other pallet.

The day had started calmly enough: six of the Company of the Random Encounter were travelling south from Marikest to the village of Camiram, where in just under two months' time Sirdros would be expected to conduct the rites of the Spring Festival.

Six of the Company; but the group numbered eight, not counting mounts. Stormstrider, as ever, was accompanied by his wolf companion, while the eighth was ... a little more unusual.

"He's a myconid." Briar explains, gently patting the mushroom-like creature that clings to her shoulder, "His name is Herbie."

"He'd go well in a stew." Is the Padre's assessment, which earns him a glare from the young rogue.

"Another druid." Khore shakes his head pityingly, "When will you people learn? Rocks and trees are not gods."

Other than the usual bickering, the group encounters no difficulties on their journey: at least, not until they actually reach their destination.

"Halt!" a group of six men, all carrying bows, blocks the road into Camiram. Their leader is a burly, unshaven fellow with a pair of woodsman's axes strapped to his belt. He points at Sirdros, Anastria and Stormstrider. "Yer can turn around and go home, yer stinkin' elves. We'll not have your sort skulking in our town no longer."

Seeing Khore continue to walk calmly forward, the man plants himself in the Paladin's way.

"Where do yer think yer goin'?" he demands.

"I am not an elf."

"We don't want yer stinkin' elf-lovin' carcass in our town, neither."

Things got a little heated, after that. Hence the Company's current accommodation.

"Locked up!" the Padre folds his arms, "Like a common thief!"

"When we are released I shall require an apology from the man who barred our entry." Khroe seems far more philosophical about their situation, "And if he refuses, I shall challenge him."

As if in answer to the paladin's word, there come the sound of footsteps in the hall outside, and then of the key in the lock. Slowly, the heavy door swings open, to reveal a man in the livery of the Marikest Guard.

This, it emerges, is Dohan, commander of a militia detachment, responsible for patrolling the roads in this region. He gruffly interviews the adventurers - or more pedantically, the adventurers and Khore, as the paladin rejects the appellation - over their part in the brawl.

"What is the cause of this hostility toward elves?" Sirdros asks.

Dohan sighs,

"There have been some disappearances, of late. Folk going missing in the woods or on the road. Several times, items of elven make have been found nearby. The locals are blaming a tribe of pointies - elves - that live out west of here. I've tried to do what I can to find the missing folks, but I don't have the men to cover all the ground."

"Maybe we could help find the cause of these disappearances." The Padre offers, in a meaningful tone. Dohan grunts,

"You'll have to, if you want your friend to conduct the Spring Rites. No elf will be allowed into Camiram, until this business stops."

"Maybe there's a reward for helping." The Padre suggests, in an even more meaningful tone.

"You require payment to assist the cause of justice?" Khore gives him a disapproving look, "What kind of Priest of St Cuthbert are you?"

"A practical one."

"I shall help in this matter." The Paladin announces, "But I seek no reward."

"Look, if you folks fix this all up, I'll pay you for the work. You can decide how to split it yourself." Dohan shrugs, "The reward was posted a week or so back. Which is probably why Levi's looking to pick a fight with every elf he meets."

"Levi is the man who insulted us?" Khore nods, "I shall have words with him, once I return."

"If you return." Dohan gives the group a rather doubtful look, obviously not sure that he'll ever see them again.

Undeterred by the militia-man's assessment of their chances, the group sets out, planning to begin their investigation by speaking to the very elves that are accused of the crime. The journey is a little more difficult than they expected, as the land to the west becomes boggy and damp, but they slowly manage to pick their way around the fens, suffering nothing worse than a few leeches and a lot of mud.

Eventually Stormstrider, who has been leading the group, begins to point out small fetishes in the trees and bushes, woven from sticks and bark.

"We have entered the lands of my people." He explains, "These totems tell they they are a clan who stay true to the old ways."

Anastria snits something about 'unwashed savages' under her breath.

Pressing on, the group locates the eleven settlement. This is simply a collection of hide tents, clustered in a rough circle, overlooking a broad but shallow stream. Elves, all of whom are dressed in furs, stop what they are doing to watch the approach of the group. A few rest hands on spears or clubs, but there is none of the overt hostility the adventurers (and Khore) experienced in Camiram.

Still, just in case, they decide to let the elves do the talking.

One of the elves - a tall, broad-shouldered warrior with a necklace of feathers and beads - moves forward and asks them their purpose. After hearing why they have come, he takes them to see Seskanon, the elder of the tribe.

Anastria begins to explain their errand to Seskanon. Sirdros attempts to interrupt, but is firmly slapped down by his sister. They squabble briefly about religion.

Having finally determined why the group has come to see him, Seskanon confirms that while there have been disappearances in the area, his people have not been the culprits. In fact, on several occasions they have been the victims: four members of the tribe have gone missing in the past month. Further questioning reveals that items of human manufacture were found at all the sites where all four elves disappeared, but:

"We no longer believe it is they who did these things." Seskanon explains, "We did at first, especially after they drove off those we sent to speak with them. But a week ago, I had a dream of a great darkness filling our sacred place: a great maw beneath the earth, consuming all. Into the darkness came six warriors; three of our race, and three humans; who lit the darkness, and drove out the maw. At first, I despaired, knowing that we could never persuade the people of Camiram to help us. But now you are here: six of you, three from each race."

Of the group, only Khore seems pleased to be a prophesied hero, though his pleasure is tarnished somewhat by being the prophesied hero of a bunch of 'tree and rock-worshippers'. Nontheless, they agree to go to this scared place Seskanon speaks of, and drive out whatever evil has made its home there.

"You owe us for this one." The Padre informs Sirdros, "Your church is out of favours."

The sacred place turns out to be a rocky mound, in the middle of the marsh-like fens that the group skirted on their way to see the elves. Despite the fact that they are going right trhough them, this time, the journey actually proves easier than their last, due to the elven warriors who guide their path. These locals display an unerring knowledge of the driest and safest paths to follow.

"Sacred place is on top of mound," one of the warriors stops a few hundred yards from the mound and points, "Amidst circle of stones. You go on alone from here. Ground is safe."

Approaching the bluff, the group comes under fire from archers, concealed amidst the circle of stones. Stormstrider responds with an entangle, while the rest of the adventurers charge toward the enemy. Stormstrider's spell initially serves the group well, as it drives the enemy - a group of four gnolls - out from the stones in an effort to escape the grasping vines and roots. The Company, however, charge too far too fast, and are soon almost as mired as their foes. Fortunately, the Padre - always a good shot with a crossbow - has recently begun to master the longbow, and he hangs back, unleashing a rain of arrows that tips the balance in the group's favour.

Once the entangle effect ceases, the group explores the top of the mound. The circle of stones has been defaced by the gnolls, the ancient carvings in the rock being scarred with sword and axe blows. There is also a path of flattened grass, which appears to be the route the gnolls have been using to climb to the top of the bluff. Tracking this route back to its source, the Company finds that it runs down to a waist-deep stream that flows out of the side of the bluff.

"The tracks go into the water." Stormstrider reports, "And they don't come out the other side."

"Maybe they follow the stream away, to hide their tracks?" Briar suggests.

"This is gnolls we're talking about."

Eventually, they recall that Seskanon's dream spoke of a darkness in the earth under the bluff Sirdros casts light on a stone, and Stormstrider clambers into the water with the stone in his teeth, then forces his way upstream, and swims beneath the buff.

Less than a minute later, he reappears, reporting that there are caves within the mound, with dry floors above the level of water, and more than enough room for the group to walk easily.

Assuming, of course, they can all manage to get in there. For most, this proves relatively easy. But for Sirdros, laden down with a mass of metal armour (which re takes off, but insists on carrying) the task proves too hard. He cannot make progress, and then is washed downstream, buffeted by the water and rocks as he goes.

Fortunately, the Padre notices this and rushes back to rescue Sirdros, using one of his new-found psychic powers to float the other priest to the surface of the water.

Eventually, all six of the group force their way into the caves. The underwater tunnel goes only a few feet before opening into this area, which is just about large enough to hold them all. A narrow, twisting tunnel leads deeper into the mound. Making ready their everburning torches, the group is just about to explore this route when Briar stops them.

"Herbie saw something in the water." She reports, pointing into the stream. Stormstrider investigates, and returns grim-faced. The 'something' is the body of an elf, recently killed. The elf had bound hands, and his tan had started to fade.

"They had him here for a while, then they killed him and dumped the body, in their own escape route." The Padre ponders this, "It could be they are planning to move on."

The group decides to waste no time, and presses on down the narrow tunnel. They pass through a shower of water droplets from the ceiling, and then into a large chamber, fully 60' across. Much of the chamber's floor is taken up by a subterranean lake, at the centre of which is a small island. On this island, looking rather strange in its subterranean setting, is a small cottage of stone, with arrow-slits that face the tunnel through which the group has just arrived.

And thus it is for the second time that day that the Company find themselves under fire from concealed archers.

Briar curses as an arrow strikes her, but Khore leaps forward without hesitation, plunging waist deep in icy water to wade toward the island. Some of the others, more circumspect - or perhaps just more sensible - run along the edge of the lake, then across a short bridge on the far side.

Whomever is in the cottage is now surrounded, but with a sturdy door locked behind them, and arrow slits to fire out from, they seem well-protected from anything the group can do: protection that increases when two wolves burst out of the darkness and attack. One grabs Briar's ankle and trips her into the lake, while the other savages Sirdros and Stormstrider.

As Stormstrider tries and fails to batter his way through the door, Khore looks for another way into the cottage. Spotting that the roof is made of wooden tiles, he scrambles up the side of the building. Balancing precariously on the sloping roof, he then hammers his greatsword through the tiles. If anything, he is actually too successful in his task: dozens of the tiles shatter or fly loose, and the whole surface gives way beneath him, plunging the paladin down amongst his enemies.

As the sounds of fighting emerge from inside the cottage, Briar pulls herself out of the water and stabs one of the wolves, while Anastria and Sirdros combine to down the other - though not before Sirdros is knocked to the ground in the melee.

As Stormstrider fails again to burst through the door, Khore's shouts and war cries suddenly choke off, and there is the sound of something heavy striking the floor.

Padre and Anastria throw themselves at the walls of the cottage, trying to climb up to the hole in the roof, but it is Briar who gets the group into the house first, putting her lock-picks to work with record-breaking speed.

Stormstrider throws open the door and rushes in, just in time to distract the two gnolls inside from finishing Khore, who lies unconscious on the floor.

With the door open, the result of the fight is never in doubt: numbers quickly overwhelm the two gnolls. Once their enemies are dispatched, the Padre heals Khore while the others look around. There are a few more caves, but they all appear to have been deserted in the last few days or hours. There are signs of recent habitation, and many furnishings are still in place, but anything small and portable has been removed, as have most of the foodstuffs.

It is in fact the Padre and Khore who locate the sole remaining inhabitant of the complex: a human prisoner being held in the cellar of the 'cottage'. This woman introduces herself as Valkyre,

"I am a follower of Dargrute, Lord of Fire and Forge. He is a god of my people."

"Never heard of him." The Padre frowns, "Dargrute sounds like a dwarven word."

"It is."

"You're very tall for a dwarf."

"I was raised by dwarves in the cold lands to the north." Valkyre explains, "My parents were colonists who were shipwrecked. They died, but kept me alive long enough for the dwarves to find me."

"And why are you here, now?"

"I came south to search the land and meet its people. I am an adult now, however young I may be by the clan's reckoning, and I wished to meet people of my own race. You have developed many interesting inventions here. Do you know there is a kind of oil that sticks to people as it burns? I used one against the gnolls when they captured me. It worked very well."

"I'm surprised they didn't kill you."

"Their leader - a bony gnoll with white fur - stopped them. I think he had some pretty specific - and unpleasant - plans for me." Valkyre shrugs, not evidencing much concern, "But then they suddenly packed up and left. And you turned up. So it worked out in the end. "

"I guess." The Padre ponders, "So it looks like the gnolls were kidnapping people and trying to stir up trouble between the elves and the humans in the meantime. The question is, why?"

Khore shrugs,

"They're evil."

The priest snorts, then realises the paladin is serious.

"Maybe, but I can't help but think there's more to it than that."

"Well, we'll never know, now, will we?"

Remove ads