• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Comparing classes for an "Enchanter/Illusionist" concept

Dausuul

Legend
Play a sorlock! You get Subtle Spell and warlock at-will magic, and you break the game into the bargain! :)

Okay, more seriously: For what you're looking to play, bard is awesome. The reason? Expertise at 3rd level. Not only are you a full caster with a strong focus on enchantment and illusion, but you also get to double your proficiency bonus on two of your social skills, which are already high thanks to your maxed-out Charisma. Your illusions will be much enhanced if you can back them up with crushing Deception and Intimidation checks.

Arcane trickster is another option, and the one I went with (our party already has a bard; I didn't want to step on his toes). I built the character as a swashbuckler with a moderate amount of spellpower backing her up. Since I chose to pump Charisma over Intelligence, I don't rely too heavily on spells; instead I use my social skills and Reliable Talent, with some low-level illusions, alter self, and mage hand to round out my toolkit. Very fun, but maybe not as "magical" as you're looking for. Still, I'm normally a full-caster player, and I was worried the AT would cramp my style. Instead I have found it's a blast to play. Give it some thought.

Last edited:

Bera

Explorer
I think the advice to think of your secondary specialty is critical here. What are you going to be doing in combat? If you only have enchantments/illusions you may find yourself less than useful when you're up against traps, constructs, undead, and assorted other enemies. A warlock might have a pact with a winter fey, or a charming bard might fight with bow and arrow as well.

You might also consider multiclassing. Two or three levels of fey warlock gets you nice blasting powers and/or at-will silent image and disguise self. Those couple at-will powers might tide you over as you expand your spell list and spellcasting through some bard or wizard levels or they might be enough trickery that you're happy to switch to be a paladin, fighter, ranger, or rogue later on. If you take shillelagh via the tome feature or magic stones, you can even keep charisma as your combat stat.

SlimeGuru42

Explorer
If you can use material from the Wizard's website, the favored soul (from http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes) with the trickery domain may be right up your alley! Trickery doesnt offer as many unique spells as other cleric domains for favored soul (pass without trace and modify memory), but I still think its a decent option for what you're trying to do.

Like you said, there are many many ways to build this concept that are fun and viable

Last edited:

DMCF

First Post
Just broke the game with one of my players (warlock) an hour ago...

Warlock tome pact with great old one (i think). Allows you to speak to creatures that can speak any language, in essence "conveying thought". Combine with mage hand, prestidigitation, or minor illusion.

1. Convey "I wish this cold turkey leg was warm"
2. Walk by and warm the turkey leg from a few feet away.
3. Convey "I am GOD!"

1. Create an illusion of a large carrot when a guard is slightly turned away, but in the corner of his eye so he turns to it.
2. Convey "Save me! You are the chosen one!"
3. Convey instructions

1. Convey "nice butt!"
2. Mage hand to lift skirt/kilt (for the ladies?)
3. Repeat until the NPC is convinced he has power from that 80's movie ZAP!

meomwt

First Post
Trickery Clerics get arguably the most broken spell in the book right now: Pass Without Trace. +10 on Dexterity (Stealth) checks for a number of people? That's my heavily armoured Fighter sneaking up to the Lizardfolk Tribe, then.

And by Vecna! Give this bonus to the Elf Rogue, he's rolling stealth at +19. WTF??

On top of this, there's healing, turning and the Duplicate (Illusion of self) power which can be so much fun in play.

In fact, Trickery Cleric might be the way to go for that tricksy type you wanted to play!

famousringo

First Post
Sorcerers are great for really ramming those saving throws down the target's throat, but they're missing a few key manipulator spells, like Modify Memory. You can get around this if you can convince your DM to allow the Favoured Soul and take the Trickery domain.

But I feel like the ultimate beguiler ability in the whole book is the Warlock's Create Thrall, so that's hard to pass up.

Yeah, there are plenty of ways to skin this cat, so it's worth looking at the secondary features you might want:

Want to be a healer and a skill monster when you aren't warping minds? Bard.

Want to punish the few who can resist your wiles with a devastating blast? Sorcerer.

Want to float around everywhere like a master vampire? Warlock.

The question you need to ask yourself is this: "What KIND of enchantress do you want to play?"

Here's the interesting thing about the game. They actually were very careful when designing each subclass so that they each hit the beguiler concept a different way. A bard plays vastly differently from an enchanter or illusionist, from a sorcerer*, from an Arcane Trickster, and from a Trickery cleric. Each has a unique style and take on the issue.

Bards focus on skills more than any full caster, plus they offer a number "inspire the party" in addition to afflicting the enemy abilities. Their wide range of abilities mean you can pretty much customize the kind of beguiler you want.

Trickery Clerics have a wide selection of illusion abilities, but their mind control is pretty lacking.

Arcane Tricksters specialize in using some minor magical tricks to back up mundane talents. At heart, they're still rogues with a very athletic physical side to them.

Land Druids arne't what I consider a beguiler - too much of their abilities are tied into vanishing into nature, while I think of beguilers at home in a city or a court. If you want a dryad-style, then druid is great. If not, well...

Sorcerers are slightly problematic - while they have the spells and metamagic to pull a psion-style class, they lack an appropriate subclass. Draconic rely on elemental spells. Wild magic is flashy and unpredictable, very much another flashy blaster class instead of a subtle trickster beguiler style. Favored Soul wants to focus on self-buffs to make good spellswords. They need a psion-style subclass to round them out. The sorcerer is also heavily built towards being a war mage, being in the thick of combat more than out of combat, making them almost more brute-forcey compared to others. Only the wizard can twin-cast enchantments like a sorcerer, though.

Warlocks, like others said, can make great tricksters if you don't mind the focus on cantrips and at-will magic. Both fey and GOO make good beguilers, depending if you want a more tricky angle, or a more mind-controller angle. The Disguise Self + Friends combo is often highly appreciated. You get access to some rather potent spells, and Hex is actually a really good social spell - you don't buff your skill, you make everyone suck at opposing you.

Wizards are jacks-of-all-trades when it comes to magic. They have excellent spell selections. However, their skill back up is horrible, no CHA support. You will need to rely on daily effects to do anything beguiler-like. No matter what, its hard to ignore the book worm aspects of their spell mastery.

tagwort

First Post
Arcane Tricksters specialize in using some minor magical tricks to back up mundane talents. At heart, they're still rogues with a very athletic physical side to them.

Land Druids arne't what I consider a beguiler - too much of their abilities are tied into vanishing into nature, while I think of beguilers at home in a city or a court. If you want a dryad-style, then druid is great. If not, well...

Some thoughts on these two:

While I expect most Arcane Tricksters focus on haste for damage, I feel that magical ambush at level 9 gives Arcane Tricksters a unique edge on control spells compared to non-sorcerer casters. While definitely lacking in quantity and level of spells known, they could get incredible mileage out of spells like Suggestion, Phantasmal Force, and Hypnotic Pattern. There's still definitely a physical focus, but the core "enchanter/illusionist" concept is still strong (though I suppose it depends on the type of campaign/frequency of encounters per long rest).

Druids might be lacking on mind-control and illusion spells, but I feel that shapeshifting in itself is a form of trickery that lends itself well to the "trickster" concept. Similar to the Arcane Trickster, a druid wouldn't outdo a Bard/Warlock/Wizard at beguiler spells, but would compensate with unique tricks up its sleeve (with a little help from feats like Actor and Magic Initiate to focus the concept).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads