• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compiled Custom Archetype List

White Wizard

First Post
Hey everyone. I'm trying to make a space where people could post custom made archetypes for classes so a) others can use them and b) they can be critiqued for balance. I wasn't sure if I should post this in the house rule section but since it's obviously inspired by Paizo's Pathfinder RPG, I figured it would get more attention here. To start this off I will post a couple archetypes up for critique.

White Wizard

First Post
Rogue Archetype:
Pit Fighter

Knife Fighter: At 4th level, a pit fighter can deal sneak attack damage on attacks made while grappling. This ability replaces uncanny dodge.

Skilled Grappler: At 8th level, A pit fighter can perform a combat maneuver as part of a standard action to maintain a grapple. She can attempt a Dirty Trick, Disarm, Steal, or Sunder using a separate Combat Maneuver check to determine success. Failure does not end the grappled condition. This ability replaces improved uncanny dodge.

Cavalier Archetype
Warlord

Inspiring Charge: At 3rd level, When a cavalier charges all allies within 60' who can see his banner or himself do not suffer a penalty to AC do to charging until the cavaliers next initiative. This ability replaces cavalier's charge.

Rejuvenating Charge: At 11th level, A cavalier can inspire men to action by leading a charge. A cavalier who charges can choose one ally within 60' who can see his banner to make a charge attack with him as a free action. The ally must be a willing target to use this ability. This ability replaces mighty charge.

Deadly Charge: At 20th level, A cavalier who charges can double the threat range of his weapon and automatically confirms critical hits. All allies within 60' who can see his banner also gain this ability while charging until the cavalier's next initiative. This ability replaces supreme charge.

I have some question whether the Warlord archetype I posted is either too good or not good enough. Please put any input that you might have.

White Wizard

First Post
I guess no one has any archetype ideas. Well does anyone have input on the two archetypes I posted? Too strong? Too weak? Any feedback would be cool.

xXxTheBeastxXx

Explorer
I've got 2.
The first is the Gunslinger--a fighter archetype. I made it for my Golarion Campaign I'm running. Essentially, it's a bit of a cross between the Archer and the Crossbowman, with a couple custom abilities thrown in.

Gunslinger

With the new advent of guns come those who choose to wield them. And within those who wield them are the experts, the masters of their craft, the Gunslingers.

Weapon and Armor proficiency: The gunslinger is proficient with all firearms. This ability replaces martial weapon proficiency.

Draw!: At 1st level, the Gunslinger gains quick draw as a bonus feat. This ability replaces the 1st level bonus feat.

Crazy Eye: Starting at 2nd level, a gunslinger gets a +1 on intimidate checks. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels beyond 2nd. This ability replaces Bravery.

Trick Shot: At 3rd level, a gunslinger can choose one of the following combat maneuvers or actions: disarm, feint, or sunder. He can perform this action with a firearm against any target within 30 feet, with a -4 penalty to his CMB. Every four levels beyond 3rd, he may choose an additional trick shot to learn. These maneuvers use up bullets as normal. At 11th level, he may also choose from the following combat maneuvers: bull rush, trip. This ability replaces armor training 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Expert Slinger: At 5th level, a gunslinger gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with firearms. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels beyond 5th. This ability replaces weapon training 1.

Safe Shot: At 9th level, a gunslinger does not provoke attacks of opportunity when making ranged attacks with a firearm. This ability replaces weapon training 2.

Cover Expert: At 13th level, a gunslinger gains an additional +2 to their AC whenever they take cover. At 17th level, this bonus increases to +4. This ability replaces weapon training 3.

Meteor Shot: At 17th level, as a standard action, a gunslinger can make one attack with a firearm at a -4 penalty. If the attack hits, it inflicts damage normally and the target is subject to a bull rush or a trip maneuver using the attack roll as the combat maneuver check. The gunslinger must decide which maneuver to attempt before making his attack roll. This ability replaces weapon training 4.

Penetrating Shot: At 19th level, when a gunslinger confirms a critical hit with a firearm, the bullet pierces the target and can strike another creature in line behind it. The gunslinger must be able to trace a line starting at his space and passing through both targets to make this additional attack. The secondary attack is made at a -4 penalty, in addition to any modifiers for added range. If this attack is also a critical hit, the bullet can continue to his another target, but the penalties stack. This ability replaces armor mastery.

Unload: At 20th level, as a full-round action, if the gunslinger is wielding a weapon with multiple shots (ex. a revolver), he can fire every shot in the gun. These attacks are all made at your highest base attack bonus -4. If the gunslinger is wielding multiple weapons, he can use this ability with one of them. This ability replaces weapon mastery.

The only issue I see with this Archetype are that the Unload ability could be abused if this was ever transported to a modern campaign. In Golarion, though, the maximum number of shots is 5, so it's not too bad.

My second class is the Street Fighter. It's half-transferred from a PrC in 3.5, but with a few more spins. This one feels much more custom than the Gunslinger, and is meant to be a nice tough "thug" character, either as a PC or NPC. It's also a fighter Archetype.

Street Fighter

Sometimes a job requires a knight of lordly stature. Sometimes it requires a world-wary mercenary. But sometimes one needs to scrape the bottom of the barrel, sometimes the job calls for a Street Fighter.

Weapon and Armor proficiency: The street fighter is not proficient in heavy armors or shields.

Beat ‘em up: At 1st level, the street fighter gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. His unarmed strikes deal 1d6 damage.

Always Ready: Starting at 2nd level, a street fighter gets a +1 on his initiative checks. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels beyond 2nd. This ability replaces Bravery.

Stand Tough: At 3rd level, the street fighter can resist the damage being dealt to him. If he is hit by an attack, before taking damage, he can make a fortitude save with a DC equal to the damage that would be dealt. If the save succeeds, he takes half the damage as nonlethal damage. If the save fails, he takes damage normally. He can use this ability once at 3rd level, and one more time every 4 levels beyond 3rd. This ability replaces armor training 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Sneak Attack: At 5th level, a street fighter inflicts +1d6 points of damage against targets within 30 feet that he flanks or that are denied their Dex bonus to AC against him. This damage increases by +1d6 for every four levels beyond 5th. This ability replaces weapon training 1.

Uncanny dodge: At 9th level, a street fighter can no longer be denied his dex bonus to his AC. This ability replaces weapon training 2.

Crowd Expert: At 13th level, a street fighter that is fighting in a crowd or is flanked gains a +2 dodge bonus to his AC. This bonus increases to +4 at 17th level. This ability replaces weapon training 3.

Bring ‘em Down Quick: At 17th level, as a standard action, a street fighter may make an attack that deals nonlethal damage at no penalty. This attack deals double damage. Extra damage, such as precision damage or damage from magical effects are not multiplied. This ability replaces weapon training 4.

One Tough Bastard: At 19th level, a street fighter gains DR 10/- against nonlethal damage. This damage reduction applies to nonlethal damage sustained from the Stand Tough ability. This ability replaces armor mastery.

First: yes, I realize that the sneak attack I posted is an extremely dumbed down version of the one the rogue has, and doesn't take things like dim light into account. I stole it from the Sandman archetype, and it is obviously meant to be used as a rogue's sneak attack.
DR 10/- against nonlethal might be too high, but I thought that, since it's just nonlethal damage, and he can only stand tough 5 times a day at level 19 (and have to make a save anyway), it wasn't out of the question.

Anyway, that's what I've got. Hope you enjoy and maybe adapt them to your own campaigns.

Last edited:

Remove ads