• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

drothgery

First Post
They've mentioned the bard being in PHB2 a few times, they've mentioned the bard being an arcane leader, and they've implied that there will be a DDI preview of the Bard before PHB2.

Yeah, but this is absolutely-down-in-print-somewhere stuff.

I'm trying to finish off the non-arcane leader bard dead-enders...

Otogi

First Post
I know the Elemental power source is about a quarter of decade from release, but is there any idea on what the classes might be, besides the Controller (Elementalist)?

Ondo

First Post
Replaced this:
Gnomes are in the PHB2 (source). Others races in the PHB2 start with D, G, H, and S, and have second letters O, E, and H, and one has the final letter R (source, source). A Goliath appears on the cover, as well as what may be a Gnome or Shifter.

With this:
Gnomes, Half-Orcs, Goliaths, and Shifters will be in the PHB2 (source, source). There will also be a race that starts with a D, and a race (possibly the same one) that has a second letter of E (source, source).

Thanks for the catalog link, drothgery. I'll try and update with the rest of the info people posted soon.

fba827

Adventurer
Ondo, nice work in keeping up with this! :)

Swordmage

In your classes section, for this entry, you may want to list that this is confirmed for the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (it's listed in the book's description on WotC anyway). And while I may be wrong, I have a strange recollection that in some interview one of the WotC team said there are no plans to recycle info from one guide to the next (so it won't get reprinted in a future PHBX), so chances are high this will be the only book with it.

Since this was listed in the preview pdf for Forgotten Realms RPGA stuff, it's a good extrapolation that this will be in either the PHB2 (which answers the question on the race having an E as the second letter) or in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (if they are doing races in that book; the WotC product description mentions classes, feats and so on but no mention of races either way).

Same is true of Drow.

Although you did include this in your PHB2 section, for your races section on this entry, you may want to list it confirmed for the PHB2. (or a note to "see PHB2" or something for those looking down to race rather than knowing it'll be in that book)

Same thing I wrote for Goliath, see above. :)

jelmore

First Post
Ondo, nice work in keeping up with this! :)

Genasi
Since this was listed in the preview pdf for Forgotten Realms RPGA stuff, it's a good extrapolation that this will be in either the PHB2 (which answers the question on the race having an E as the second letter) or in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (if they are doing races in that book; the WotC product description mentions classes, feats and so on but no mention of races either way).

Same is true of Drow.

The Living Forgotten Realms RPGA preview specifically says that the swordmage, drow, and genasi excerpts come from the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, not the PHB2.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/lfrcharacters

redrover

First Post
As long as we are speculating on the new classes, I’d like to toss in a “W”:

the Witch-Doctor.

A long time ago (1e MM), nonhuman races had tribal subleader types who were either shamans or witch-doctors. The former had cleric spells and the latter had a mix of wizard and cleric spells.

The witch-doctor combined Divine and Arcane powers and could well be configured as a Primal Controller.

Primitive cultures currently have no arcane spellcaster archetype (I suppose you might patch in a Warlock, but this still leaves tribal cultures without a controller type. Druids aren't thematic for a lot of tribal cultures).

Since the old witch-doctor was very close to the shaman, it is a fertile field for keeping the name and concept, while doing an orginal take for the new edition.

If you were going to empower a completely Primal setting, then you’d have to fill this niche with something.

A Witch is a long shot, IMO. I haven’t seen WotC do too many gender-specific classes in core books.

Shamans: Definitely a returning concept. It’s appeared in Dragon magazine several times over the years and there was even a 2e “Shaman” book.

Walking Dad

First Post
I don't want to sound rude, but Witch-Doctor is the new confirmed class in the Diablo 3 game. I think WotC should wait with releasing something with that name, or they will be once more accused to steal 4e from computer games.

PS: Shaman was a standard-class in Oriental Adventures 3e and the Spirit Shaman was a standard-class in Complete Divine.

Andor

First Post
Another possibility for a Primal 'T' class occurs to me. The Totemist. I would be stoked to see that, the totemist of one of my favorite classes from 3e.

Vayden

First Post
Didn't see it on the front page or the last two pages - the latest previews article mentioned the Warlock gaining another option (Dark Pact) in one of the Forgotten Realms books (I think Player's Guide).

Remove ads