• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

Caliber

Explorer
The new name for Aasimars, according to the FRPG, is Deva, which meshes quite nicely with the large De- shaped hole in the PHB II's racial lineup.

I think we now have ourselves a winner. ;)

Vael

Legend
Certainly seems like it. So, the Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc and Shifter. Not a bad lineup. I wonder how many Shifters are going to be there, the MM had Razorclaw and Longtooth, but there are 4 others in the core ECS, plus Races of Eberron added some more IIRC.

Ondo

First Post
Okay, I think I'm now pretty much up-to-date, though I'll be looking for more info. If there's anything I've missed, let me know.

I'm not including info on new options for existing classes currently. If anyone else wants to start a thread for that, I'd be happy to link to it and inform you of any news I find. Until then, please mention such news here for the benefit of anyone who later decides to do this (possibly me, if I change my mind), but I won't be adding it to the OP.

To note one I've found, the Tempest Fighter option from Martial Power is mentioned here.

Here's the changes I made:

Replaced this:
There will be Barbarian previews on DDI later this year (source).
with this:
A playtest version of the Barbarian is planned for the October issue of Dragon (source).

Added this:
(Probably Devas, as the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide mentions that is the new name for Aasimars.)

Added this:
One of the classes is a Leader class that "travels with a 'buddy' who keeps the party in tip-top shape" (source).

Replaced this:
The Monk is not a Martial Striker, and as of D&D XP they had not seriously started designing the class (source).
with this:
The Monk uses the Ki power source (PHB). As of D&D XP 2008 they had not seriously started designing the class (source).

Added this:
Significant preview of the Swordmage here.

Added this:
Deva
This is the new name for the Aasimar (FRPG).

Drow
Significant preview of the Drow here.

And this:
Significant preview of the Genasi here.

I also added notes on where classes and races will show up in the sections for each class and race, rather than leaving the info only in the products section.

Ondo

First Post
Added this:
Ranadiel has a thread compiling all known info on upcoming products on WotC's boards here.

Replaced this:
There will also be a race that starts with a D, and a race (possibly the same one) that has a second letter of E (source, source).

with this:
as well as one more race (source) that starts with De (source, source).

Added this:
This thread in Greg Bilsland's blog has pictures of a fight that include four PCs, all with PHB2 classes, and various vague hints.

Ondo

First Post
Removed info about races and classes in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, since they're no longer upcoming. Specifically, removed all this:

The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide will include the Swordmage, as well as Drow and Genasi (source). It will also include a multiclass-only class for characters with spellscars (source). Barbarians, Bards, Druids, and Gnomes will be mentioned in Forgotten Realms products (source), as will Half-Orcs and Goliaths (source).
Swordmage
Significant preview of the Swordmage here. It will be in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide.

Significant info on the Swordmage here. Info from a 5th level Swordmage in an RPGA adventure here.

"Multiclassing into swordmage is pretty easy for a wizard (and vice versa)" (source). Swordmages like Int and Str (source).

Swordshock is a 17th level encounter power for Swordmages that sheathes their sword in lightning (source).
Drow
Significant preview of the Drow here. They will be in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide.

Genasi
Significant preview of the Genasi here. They will be in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide.

Genasi ability adjustments "don’t really support warlock all that well"; they have elemental manifestations, which are "really righteous racial abilities"; Firesoul and Stormsoul are two of the options (source).

Rechan

Adventurer
You know. A thought occurred to me last night.

What if the I is for the Inquisitor. But the Inquisitor is the Divine Controller, not a striker.

When I think of Inquisitors, I don't really see them dancing around the battlefield sticking people in the gut and saying "You never expected that!"

Remove ads